Canes Baseball Coaching Staff Discussion

Fire Gino DiMare

• Total voters
I think Dimare could succeed if he took on less. Meaning move on from JD and go get an offensive guy and a new pitching guy then get out of their way. Run the program, create your style but let them develop from within. JD needs a fresh start maybe whoever gets hired up the road brings him on. I think that family tragedy really changed things and I totally understand why.

Let your offensive guy coach third and you stay in the dugout. Be around the team and talk about things you see.

We need a guy plugged into VA up to Connecticut as well to start plucking more northern kids. The Jersey private schools are pumping out high level talent.

And I’m with others no Lovelady no Cooper no Laz from Nova Southeastern. Time to bring in more variety

No offense, & I’m kinda lol’ing at this post b/c this is like a deja vu, Stranger Things upside down world moment. This “proposed” argument to help Dimare is the same “proposed” argument that was used to help Diaz. Lol

Listen, Dimare maybe a Cane, just like Diaz may have been from the City of Miami, but there’s tangible evidence that Dimare is not the guy. He’s a guy that can get us to fast starts, but like the parable of the Tortoise & The Hare, just b/c u start fast doesn’t mean u’re capable of finishing. Dimare, like Diaz, came from a staff of once upon a time great coaches who coasted the final yrs before retirement.

Gino has been here since 1997, bro. Our best yrs were from ‘96-‘08. That was a great stretch. Sure, we had a ‘couple’ of good yrs in ‘15 & ‘16, but that’s been so far in between. From 2009 - 2022, we’ve made the CWS only 2x vs. 9x from ‘96-‘08. It’s my honest opinion we need new air in the room. The expiration date of that magical stretch is gone, yet we’re still trying to hold on to it. Gino kinda give me The Coker feel, & I’m not sure if he’s the man to lead us back to prominence despite what he’s surround w/.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I absolutely agree…and while I want to believe Rad will make changes regardless of who his dad is….I’m just trying to think as if this situation may be a bit more difficult.

I mean this is a preseason top 10 team next year assuming we land 90% of our class and no surprises leave. It’s also apparently a contract year. In most cases I’d assume and AD makes it clear we need results. Not just a bunch of meaningless wins. Beat FSU, Beat Uf, top 8 seed again. Get to supers…and just look better in general. If we lose don’t go out as weak as we did the last 2 weeks.

who would you guys go after? assuming we ever get an opening.
Not saying these would happen, but you gotta make them tell you no.

Dan McDonnell
Link Jarrett (hesitant bc he’s a nole but he can flat out coach)
Tim Tadlock

It’s gonna be very hard to hire away a top guy, without making them one of the highest paid guys in America. I’m talking minimum $2 million base salary. Unfortunately these hires are few and far between.

If you force me to take a G5 guy

Lane Burroughs
Shawn Stiffler
Andrew Checketts
Dan Heefner
Steven Trout

Advertisement
I’d add Scott Jackson here as he has Acc knowledge and kills it recruiting and I’m even intrigued by Justin Haire…and Haire has a little edge to him that might work in SFla.
Haire is another good one, but he doesn’t have big program experience. That’s a big risk IMO and why I didn’t include him. I’m not a Jackson fan, but he can certainly recruit. He was a huge reason Carolina went to all those CWS. He always seemed to steal an elite arm every year from the northeast that ended up going top 3 rounds.

I agree on Haire…and you know in college baseball success at one place doesn’t always mean it Carries over.

A big name guy would be Eric Bakich. I think he knows he’s maxed out at Michigan.

Then the “hot name” that will be thrown around a lot the next few weeks for open jobs esp USC is Troy T. He is making quite the name for himself and showing he isn’t just collecting checks.

Advertisement
I like Bakich from Michigan and Penders from UConn.

I think we need to see a shift in recruiting from such Dade county dominant classes. Our high school classes are 50-75% Miami kids yet the makeup of our best players are transfers and kids from Palm Beach County, the Melbourne area, Fort Myers and a transfer from the state of Louisiana, and a transfer originally from Broward outside of Yoyo and Pitelli from Dade.

I’d like to see us become a bit more dependent on recruiting broward and palm beach more and getting up into the northeast more like others have said.

Because of his family's ties to the school, Miami will NEVER fire Gino. But, there is an easy solution which could greatly help. Rad need to tell Gino that the school wants to fully support him and he deserves a new staff made up of up and coming super-stars. Then go hire them. The bench coach will help gameday decisions, new pitching and hitting coaches will fix the fundamentals. Is it the best solution-NO. But, it could improve us quickly.

Because of his family's ties to the school, Miami will NEVER fire Gino. But, there is an easy solution which could greatly help. Rad need to tell Gino that the school wants to fully support him and he deserves a new staff made up of up and coming super-stars. Then go hire them. The bench coach will help gameday decisions, new pitching and hitting coaches will fix the fundamentals. Is it the best solution-NO. But, it could improve us quickly.
Do you think Gino would take being a figure head? I don’t see him letting somebody else tell him that’s he’s an idiot to pinch hit Gabby in that situation on Sunday. Or that if he keeps putting Pitelli in the lineup, it doesn’t mean he’ll eventually get a hit.

It’s always been my opinion that the whole staff has to go. The team plays with the same lack of care they did when Morris retired 6 years before he actually stopped coaching. Bc it’s still the same people running it. The program needs a fresh start.

Advertisement
I have to believe if we bomb next year and dont make it out of regionals the heat will get to be to much. Daddy aside. If the powers that be see it, hear it, and are reading about it a change will have to be made. Gino cant be that unaware either. If he truly cares about Miami take a reassignment. Get him a position with athletics. He can say "Its time for me to step away from the game I love and spend time with my family but I still want to help build this university and want to be on board with Rad and the entire staff."

I have to believe if we bomb next year and dont make it out of regionals the heat will get to be to much. Daddy aside. If the powers that be see it, hear it, and are reading about it a change will have to be made. Gino cant be that unaware either. If he truly cares about Miami take a reassignment. Get him a position with athletics. He can say "Its time for me to step away from the game I love and spend time with my family but I still want to help build this university and want to be on board with Rad and the entire staff."
In a perfect world… we’ll see how it actually plays out

Advertisement

DiMare is in contract talks now for an extension.
frustrated andy griffith GIF

Poor recruiting/scouting or poor development?

Our approach at the plate is horrendous. Swing and miss at first pitch offspeed, watch a belt high fastball, rinse, repeat.

Not knocking Walters, but we can’t teach the guy to throw a simple slider that won’t hit the backstop?

But then I look at the bottom of our lineup, and some of the “promising” freshmen and I just don’t see it. Someone mentioned the perfect game metrics that coaches look at, wouldn’t be surprised if that’s our scouting. UF & FSU have struggled recently getting to the promise land, is it a regional HS/travel ball development problem too like we see in football down here?

Advertisement
Back