Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Here’s what Kendall had for us today. Hoping for a detailed list tomorrow.

I’ll have much more on the Miami job tomorrow, but some leading candidates are surfacing for the Hurricanes. There’s mutual interest between the Hurricanes and former big leaguer and Texas assistant Troy Tulowitzki. Tulowitzki earned a strong reputation during his two seasons in Austin and has some relationships with prominent big leaguers who played for the Hurricanes. Miami pitching coach JD Arteaga, we are told, will get an interview, while Wake Forest’s Tom Walter, Duke’s Chris Pollard and South Carolina’s Mark Kingston are other candidates. Kingston’s name being on this list might be a surprise to some, but he’s a former Miami assistant and hasn’t exactly been treated the best in Columbia. He could be looking for greener pastures. Former Hurricanes outfielder Jon Jay, who’s currently a coach for the Marlins, is another name that has been mentioned. However, we’ve heard that one would be a long shot for now. The other question is, can Miami athletic director Dan Radakovich lure some other high-profile names to go after this job as well? Stay tuned. We’ve got our pulse on this one.

Advertisement
Speaking of the Cards I just found out recently Rick Ankiel signed to come to Miami but flippin Scott Boras told teams he wouldn't sign for less than 5 mil. His stuff was disgusting.
I watched Ankiel throw 98 about 8 feet up the backstop wall in Johnson City. Had no idea where it was going. I was a young kid back in those days.

Advertisement
I would put Pollard and Walter in the HR category. I also don’t hate Kingston as much as some others.
I don’t hate Kingston either. But he does seem to have a bit of the Gino syndrome - great recruiter, great regular seasons, but the fade hard when it matters. Idk. My buddy who played for Wake’s coach at Univ of NOLA thinks we should back up the truck for the ORU coach.

I watched Ankiel throw 98 about 8 feet up the backstop wall in Johnson City. Had no idea where it was going. I was a young kid back in those days.
Right I remember they sent him all the way down to there. Absolute shame. I still need to read his book.

Advertisement
I got to know Dukes former asst Josh Jordan a bit as they always attended big events in the mid Atlantic. They love that region because much like Vandy, UNc, UVa and Va tech they all feel those MA and New England region kids aren’t maxed out often playing 2-3 sports.

If Pollard leaves I hope he reaches out to get him back. Lsu nabbed him this past off season.

Advertisement
My buddy has a great Rick Ankiel moment. He was a pretty high level recruit that same time Ankiel was. He got invited to a workout for the cardinals, pirates, and Phillies down in Florida. He was like 2-3 batters away from hitting and he was pumped because the kid who was supposed to come in wasn’t super special and he felt good. Well all the sudden a helicopter lands next to the field and a kid gets off get loose and my buddy is first to face him. He said he took 98 down the chute which he had never seen. (Remember back in the mid to late 90’s 90-94 were typically the studs). But felt he could time it up. Then missed 99 at the letters then figured he wasn’t going to get junk so he was going to come out of his shoes on pitch 3. That’s when he dropped in a curveball that spun him out of his shoes. Did that to 2 more kids, roped a ball off the wall in his one AB, got into the chopper and left.

Rick Ankiel was drafted a few weeks later.

I am no baseball guru by any means but the Tulo pick seems like it would be the **** big name pick. That doesn’t usually workout

I don’t hate Kingston either. But he does seem to have a bit of the Gino syndrome - great recruiter, great regular seasons, but the fade hard when it matters. Idk. My buddy who played for Wake’s coach at Univ of NOLA thinks we should back up the truck for the ORU coach.
Ryan Folmar would be up there with Pollard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back