Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Tulo is at least the most polarizing guy thus far, right? Some people think he’s a “HR hire” and others would be concerned.
The only reason people are concerned is because he has zero HC experience. I'm not worried about that. He checks all the boxes with me.

Advertisement
Some top notch assistants who IMO should get at least get a call if that is the direction Rad wants to go (hiring an assistant ready to take the next step versus an already Head Coach)

Scott Brown - Vandy (obvious) - need top of the line pitching to get to Omaha these days and he would deliver that IMO
Josh Elander - TN (stops at Arkansas and TN)
Taylor Black - UF (NC State, Detroit Tigers)

Advertisement
What about a shine box?
robert de niro goodfellas GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
i like jon*, have met him numerous times, but what head coaching experience does he have? if none, then no.
From a pure baseball perspective - being on an MLB coaching staff shows his baseball acumen is plenty to be a collegiate HC

Recruiting and managing the pitching staff are the difference. Also just the overall calendar and adjustment to college vs the pros. Drastically different. Hiring a legitimate pitching coach could bridge that gap.

I would rather have a proven collegiate HC like McDonnell but Jon Jay or someone like Tulo or Matt Holliday would certainly check a lot of boxes and move the needle. They also know what recruiting and the overall collegiate calendar looks like.

From a pure baseball perspective - being on an MLB coaching staff shows his baseball acumen is plenty to be a collegiate HC

Recruiting and managing the pitching staff are the difference. Also just the overall calendar and adjustment to college vs the pros. Drastically different. Hiring a legitimate pitching coach could bridge that gap.

I would rather have a proven collegiate HC like McDonnell but Jon Jay or someone like Tulo or Matt Holliday would certainly check a lot of boxes and move the needle. They also know what recruiting and the overall collegiate calendar looks like.
Oh man Matt Holliday never touched home plate in the 2007 play in game against San Diego

hasn't he been a coaching for a couple of years ONE YEAR only ?

Advertisement
hasn't he been a coaching for a couple of years ONE YEAR only ?
This year only that I know off.

He would have about 70 games under his belt coaching first base. Good enough for me.

Guys from MLB staffs rarely make the transition to college. If the Marlins keep improving he'll be a HC in the majors in 3-5 years. He fits the Schumaker, Cora, Counsell, Boone, Baldelli, David Ross, Kapler, etc. profile that is becoming popular - long career, smart/savvy ball players that were clubhouse assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back