Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No secret per se but living and working here isn’t your typical college environment and it’s not for everyone (Corbin and sully probably would never work here even if offered. Miami is different socially.
Great point. Didn't a couple of coaches wives from the last two guys (Richt & Diaz) mention something about that as well?

Advertisement
This anti Miami guy stance is ridiculous. One guy doesn’t work out and everyone associated with the program is toxic?
It might be different if there was an obvious “Miami guy” to take the spot. Lovelady and Cooper were just fired, Jay and Cora (also not interested) have no college experience, and JD’s stint as recruiting coordinator the first time Gino quit was less than stellar. We should be able to do better going outside the family.

This anti Miami guy stance is ridiculous. One guy doesn’t work out and everyone associated with the program is toxic?
Never said any of that.

If you can find a Miami guy who can Recruit nationwide, develop, is talked about by everyone as someone who is on the cutting edge of offense, pitching, and defense or has that kind of staff then by all means bring him in.

The university and the vast majority of this fan base just seems to always think “we need a Miami guy who was here when we won, they will know how to get it done”

I think Mario will. But look what we got with Coach L. I’m confident we get this hire right and it will prob be someone we haven’t or barely talked about.

No secret per se but living and working here isn’t your typical college environment and it’s not for everyone (Corbin and sully probably would never work here even if offered. Miami is different socially.
This. SoFla is not an easy place to live and for sure is not a college town. People seem to think everyone wants to live here. Many absolutely do not.

Rad’s got his work cut out for him regarding the time frame of this hire. On the one hand, you want to be as exhaustive as possible and make sure you get it right. That takes time because it’s entirely possible at least one candidate, an assistant for example, is in the Supers right now or heading to the CWS so they’re understandably a bit preoccupied at the moment. On the other hand, you need the face of the program to reassure those incoming commits and sell guys in the portal. You also don’t want to wait too long while a potential candidate gets hired by someone else. I do not envy the task.

Advertisement
Top 5 candidates are in no particular order

Joe Girardi
Chris Pollard
Troy Tulowitzki
JD Arteaga
Mark Kingston

Girardi is laughable for me. Guy has never coached college baseball. This is young mans game. Stick to MLB and getting fired there Joe.
Pollard would be a nice option.
Tulowitzki is a slam dunk hire
JD should be happy to be the pitching coach at this point if he's re hired
Kingston should have been fired last year and got lucky he had a long enough leash. Who knows if he's any good

Joe Girardi
Chris Pollard
Troy Tulowitzki
JD Arteaga
Mark Kingston

Girardi is laughable for me. Guy has never coached college baseball. This is young mans game. Stick to MLB and getting fired there Joe.
Kingston should have been fired last year and got lucky he had a long enough leash. Who knows if he's any good

Yikes.

Advertisement

Joe Girardi
Chris Pollard
Troy Tulowitzki
JD Arteaga
Mark Kingston

That list has one that would make me very happy, one that’s intriguing but not in my very top tier, two that would underwhelm me, and one that would make me want Gino back.

That list has one that would make me very happy, one that’s intriguing but not in my very top tier, two that would underwhelm me, and one that would make me want Gino back.
Chris Pollard is a program builder. The rest are either unknown quantities or are not even being considered.

Advertisement
You wouldn’t want Tulo? Young up and coming guy who the players love and want to play for. He’s a no nonsense guy and Texas improved big time when he was there for 2 years. Miami needs someone like that.

No question Tulo knows his stuff when it comes to baseball and I'm sure he did good work as the UT assistant coach. But he has zero track record as the head coach of team at any level. Do we really want to go that route? We know how well that has worked at UM in the past.

Joe Girardi
Chris Pollard
Troy Tulowitzki
JD Arteaga
Mark Kingston

Who came up with this list?

Advertisement
No question Tulo knows his stuff when it comes to baseball and I'm sure he did good work as the UT assistant coach. But he has zero track record as the head coach of team at any level. Do we really want to go that route? We know how well that has worked at UM in the past.
I get what you are saying. Idk much about the coaches around the country other than who is coaching Miami. Interested to see what happens.

That’s great.

I do not like your list. Do you like your list?
No not saying I like it. Im just going down the list of dominoes in college baseball. Let's see how accurate or not accurate I am when Kendall Rogers comes out with his hot board tomorrow. Do I get some type of award if im right on 3 or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back