Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd draw wood for days if Tulo gets the job. I'm shocked he didn't take the USC job. He's from the west coast.

Something tells me he's holding out for the Long Beach State job if it becomes open within the next few years.

Advertisement
McDonelll and brown are the only ones that excite me on that list Miami should look for somebody that can put together and LSU or UF type of staff a mixture of former scouts and minor league instructors is what is team needs very few college coaches have access to that that’s why I think Jay and Figueroa should be on the list. In case you’re wondering what the budget would be the last hire that Radaković made was backich for 950k Corbin is the highest paid coach at 1.6 million.

I’d hope the new hire would be given a $6 Million budget. Which would put Miami in the top 10 for spenders and be an increase of the $4.5ish current budget that’s in place. This would obviously include the HC salary’s as well.

I'd draw wood for days if Tulo gets the job. I'm shocked he didn't take the USC job. He's from the west coast.

Something tells me he's holding out for the Long Beach State job if it becomes open within the next few years.
Got this from D1baseball’s write up about Tulo being a name in the Georgia search. Maybe finishing his degree had something to do with him not ending up at USC.

Troy Tulowitzki

Here’s another very intriguing name to watch in the Georgia coaching search. Tulowitzki, the former standout big leaguer, did a terrific job in his two seasons at Texas. He helped engineer a premier defensive team in 2021 before the Longhorns formed into a premier offense in 2022. Tulowitzki was offered the job at USC, but chose not to head out West last summer. Tulowitzki has been consulting for various power programs over the last few months, and he also completed his degree, which was deemed essential as someone going after big-time coaching jobs. Tulowitzki doesn’t have Georgia ties and he’s never been a college baseball head coach. But in the transfer portal era, a hot name such as his would certainly do some serious damage. Hiring a versatile coaching staff would be paramount for Tulo.

Got this from D1baseball’s write up about Tulo being a name in the Georgia search. Maybe finishing his degree had something to do with him not ending up at USC.

Troy Tulowitzki

Here’s another very intriguing name to watch in the Georgia coaching search. Tulowitzki, the former standout big leaguer, did a terrific job in his two seasons at Texas. He helped engineer a premier defensive team in 2021 before the Longhorns formed into a premier offense in 2022. Tulowitzki was offered the job at USC, but chose not to head out West last summer. Tulowitzki has been consulting for various power programs over the last few months, and he also completed his degree, which was deemed essential as someone going after big-time coaching jobs. Tulowitzki doesn’t have Georgia ties and he’s never been a college baseball head coach. But in the transfer portal era, a hot name such as his would certainly do some serious damage. Hiring a versatile coaching staff would be paramount for Tulo.
Oh yea I forgot he left a year early at Long Beach St. I'd love to have him. He lives and breathes baseball. He'd be a Hall of Famer for sure if it wasn't for injuries.

Advertisement
Will be following that one closely. Not completely sold on Vaughn. Not saying he stinks or doesnt deserve an opp.

But this is a TBD for me. Since this is a message board and you put our predictions I am going to say this is just an average hire.

Advertisement
Will be following that one closely. Not completely sold on Vaughn. Not saying he stinks or doesnt deserve an opp.

But this is a TBD for me. Since this is a message board and you put our predictions I am going to say this is just an average hire.
Sorry if I missed it but who do you like?

Your pretty plugged in with the baseball coaching network…

Sorry if I missed it but who do you like?

Your pretty plugged in with the baseball coaching network…
I have been on the Scott Brown train since last year when we all started "Thinking" Gino might be on thin ice with another poor postseason. Develops, recruits, etc. Pollard from Duke.

No Miami guys, no guys who "will recruit SFLA because they know the landscape" and no pro guys who have no college backgrounds. The one thing I always look at in coaching hires is "fit." Budgets, knowledge of the sport, etc all are great. But sometimes success in one place doesn't mean it translates. Its a tough piece to figure out. It might just be an ideal set up for what a coach wants to do. McDonnell from Louisville makes sense as others have mentioned. I know their record was down but it wasnt as if he just forgot how to coach.

Top programs recruit top players. So that should be the easy piece. What top program recruits top players and makes them even better? Thats why Scott Brown is at the top. Pollard gets very good players...and a few great; but he makes them better and they play the game the right way. Same with UVA.

Our instinct is to look at the best program and pluck. But to be honest there are a lot of coaches that have 2-3 good years then a down year because its tough to maintain or the draft/transfers hurt them. Only to come right back with 2-3 good years. Some guys just consistently win 30 games but have a lot working against them or are at a mid-majors.

I have a good friend who lives in Columbia SC. They're hearing rumors that Kingston is heading here.
Personally I hope not, he been just average at SC, although they did make Super Regionals this year, last half of the season they really wet the bed

Advertisement
I have a good friend who lives in Columbia SC. They're hearing rumors that Kingston is heading here.
Personally I hope not, he been just average at SC, although they did make Super Regionals this year, last half of the season they really wet the bed
Doubt it

I have been on the Scott Brown train since last year when we all started "Thinking" Gino might be on thin ice with another poor postseason. Develops, recruits, etc. Pollard from Duke.

No Miami guys, no guys who "will recruit SFLA because they know the landscape" and no pro guys who have no college backgrounds. The one thing I always look at in coaching hires is "fit." Budgets, knowledge of the sport, etc all are great. But sometimes success in one place doesn't mean it translates. Its a tough piece to figure out. It might just be an ideal set up for what a coach wants to do. McDonnell from Louisville makes sense as others have mentioned. I know their record was down but it wasnt as if he just forgot how to coach.

Top programs recruit top players. So that should be the easy piece. What top program recruits top players and makes them even better? Thats why Scott Brown is at the top. Pollard gets very good players...and a few great; but he makes them better and they play the game the right way. Same with UVA.

Our instinct is to look at the best program and pluck. But to be honest there are a lot of coaches that have 2-3 good years then a down year because its tough to maintain or the draft/transfers hurt them. Only to come right back with 2-3 good years. Some guys just consistently win 30 games but have a lot working against them or are at a mid-majors.
This anti Miami guy stance is ridiculous. One guy doesn’t work out and everyone associated with the program is toxic?

This anti Miami guy stance is ridiculous. One guy doesn’t work out and everyone associated with the program is toxic?

Or maybe we look around the country and see that few other fan bases are always demanding that one of "their guys" is the new head coach. I mean, Jay Johnson was a west coast guy. Tim Corbin and Sully came from Clemson. Tom Walter had no connection to Wake Forest. Why can't we just hire the best candidate? What is such a secret that only Miami guys know about to be able to win at UM?

Advertisement
We promoted an assistant after Ron Fraser retired too , but didn’t work out.

5B17CE28-2ECE-4595-97A3-BAA61FFC00E5.jpeg

Or maybe we look around the country and see that few other fan bases are always demanding that one of "their guys" is the new head coach. I mean, Jay Johnson was a west coast guy. Tim Corbin and Sully came from Clemson. Tom Walter had no connection to Wake Forest. Why can't we just hire the best candidate? What is such a secret that only Miami guys know about to be able to win at UM?
No secret per se but living and working here isn’t your typical college environment and it’s not for everyone (Corbin and sully probably would never work here even if offered. Miami is different socially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back