Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Brown, Josh Elander, Jake Gautreau , Nick Schnabel are assistants that should get looks

Head Coaches - Rob Vaughn, Tom Walter, Dan Mcdonell

Advertisement
Scott Brown, Josh Elander, Jake Gautreau , Nick Schnabel are assistants that should get looks

Maryland grad here....I recall the days where Terp baseball was terrible, an eyesore. Bakich, Szefc and now Vaughn have taken Maryland baseball to a new level. Lots of talent in program and they are well coached. I would take Vaughn in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Sorry but Tom Walter would have to be the biggest crackhead to leave Wake Forest rn. Now Dan McDonell is a established coach we can poach, as he is ****ed with athletics rn.

Advertisement
Jake Gauteau gotta be one of the top recruiters in college baseball. My boy was at Univ of NOLA when he was at Tulane.

Not only did USC target him but Georgia did as well recently. He should be the main target for this program. Will have instant credibility with the players and recruits.
I think he’d leave or a bigger West Coast job. If it opens up that’s my worry with him he seems like a jumper.

Advertisement

McDonelll and brown are the only ones that excite me on that list Miami should look for somebody that can put together and LSU or UF type of staff a mixture of former scouts and minor league instructors is what is team needs very few college coaches have access to that that’s why I think Jay and Figueroa should be on the list. In case you’re wondering what the budget would be the last hire that Radaković made was backich for 950k Corbin is the highest paid coach at 1.6 million.

I think he’d leave or a bigger West Coast job. If it opens up that’s my worry with him he seems like a jumper.
Interested to know why. Tulo is a multi-millionaire and I’m not sure what West Coast job is that much more attractive than Miami.

Another name I would look at is the pitching coach from Wake Forest - Corey Muscara. In 2021, the year before he got to WF, their ERA was 5.53 and ranked outside the top 100. This year they have the #1 ERA in the country at 2.80 and it’s not close. They’re almost a full run lower than #2 at 3.60. Dominant pitching staff and incredible turnaround in only his 2nd year at Wake.

Advertisement
The Campbell coach was reportedly leading candidate at Georgia and just said he was staying at Campbell…or at least not going to Georgia

While I think Haire has done great, we're talking about different skill sets. It's one thing to take a bad mid-tier program and build it into something competitive. It's quite another thing to convince the best kids in the country to come to your program and then beat the other best kids in the country to go to Omaha. That's why a lot of us are leaning toward someone who has either already won as a P5 head coach or who has been a top assistant at an elite program.

I normally agree wholeheartedtly with what you post and I don't fully disagree with your premise here...BUT...just because a coach has one skill set (building a program up to a competitor) doesn't preclude him from also having the other (ability to recruit at a high level and compete with the elites). We shouldn't dismiss Haire or any other mid-major kind of coach out of hand thinking that they can't handle the reins at an elite program.

Part of the reason why those mid-major type of guys are so good is because they tap into what their guys can be and allow them to be it. They don't nitpick X pitcher's spin rate...they care if he can get outs. They don't freak out over batter X's stance at the plate as long as he's attacking good pitches and squaring up the baseball. They don't play favorites due to names or PG circuit backgrounds...can you the job we need you to do for this ballclub? That's the question. They ask their dudes to play hard, and to have a good baseball IQ. I'd like to see those last 2 things happen at Miami more often than getting PG AA's...because that's how we'll get back to that Omaha or bust mentality.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back