Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Not sure if related at all to this situation but Joe Girardi turned down the UCF job offer. He's a color commentator for the Cubs. I just want them to hire a quality and hungry coach. I am also glad that Dan Radakovich is the AD. The expectations are much higher. Miami is not settling for mediocrity. The basketball coaches got the message. Mario understands the assignment. DiMare was probably going to get fired if he didn't resign.
Tell me you weren't paying attention without telling me. Katie and Jim knew full well what they were doing BEFORE Rad showed up. In Katie's case, you keep knocking on the door, you will eventually get in, this run was the breakthrough. The question is whether Katie can get a streak of runs going, to where she can take her strong recruiting to the next level and be able to consistently compete with the elites.

Coach L took a long rebuild after the FBI shanked the program, he didn't magically remember how to coach again once Rad showed up, things finally fell into place for him and the program finally recaptured the momentum it had back when L had multiple lottery picks on the roster.

Rad is a **** good AD, but our fans need to stop acting like dude snaps his fingers and every program will start winning. There were some solid coaches already here, Rad's job is to make sure those solid coaches have the resources needed to win, while also moving on from coaches that had hit their ceiling and replacing them with quality coaches that can succeed. Dimare, while a decent coach had a ceiling and honestly, wasn't going to be able to make that next step, unless he bowed to reality and fired the entire staff and started over. I think Dimare didn't want to do that, and with his health issues, realized that it was time to walk away. His family has a proud legacy of service to the University and he didn't want to damage that in any way. I salute him for what he did in his tenure, he built the talent back up and got a lot of things rolling again, following the slow erosion under Morris.

Advertisement
Anyone know when the NCAA will increase the number of scholarships from 11.7? Whoever we hire will have to deal with that like Gino did. Also, the Vandy coach ain't leaving there to come here.

There it is. I was wondering when you would start making excuses.

I guess the scholarship limit forced Gino to throw our only reliable starter against Maine.

Do we hire a GM for baseball operations too? I know Vandy has one, and not sure if we ever had one. Any possible candidates if we do go after one?

"search" lulz Another full on cronyism hire for the UM admin fiefdom incoming. Hope they luck out and a coach L lands in their lap.

Yeah, I cringe at the whole “he’s a Miami guy.” Real chit, when in tf has that worked out for us?

-Schnelly (non-Miami guy)
-Johnson (non-Miami guy)
-Erickson (non-Miami guy)
-Ron Fraser (non-Miami guy)
-Jim Morris (non-Miami guy)
-Coach L (non-Miami guy)

8 of the 9 Nat’l titles in our prolific sports have come from coaches w/o being “Miami guys.” The best run in this program’s b-ball history have come from a non-Miami guy, the 2nd run came from Leonard Hamilton in the late 90’s, who too, wasn’t a “Miami” guy.

Let’s get someone who’s the best candidate, regardless. If that candidate happens to have Miami ties, so be it, but we gotta break away from this nepotism & cronyism mentality. This is a gr8 opportunity to hire someone w/ a great pedigree, whether that’s a current successful coach, or a rock star assistant from a power program.

Advertisement
Been a college baseball fan since I was student manager at UNC in the mid 1980's. I knew Jim Morris when he was at GA Tech and Miami. Great coach and person. One name that I am shocked not to see suggested is Justin Haire of Campbell. Turned a small private school in Buies Creek, NC, into a regular NCAA tournament participant. I can only imagine what he could do at the U. https://gocamels.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/justin-haire/894 I am a lifetime Phillies fan. You do NOT want Joe Giradi. He had communications issues with players and his in games moves were questionable to say the least. He could not manage a bullpen without Mario Rivera.

Been a college baseball fan since I was student manager at UNC in the mid 1980's. I knew Jim Morris when he was at GA Tech and Miami. Great coach and person. One name that I am shocked not to see suggested is Justin Haire of Campbell. Turned a small private school in Buies Creek, NC, into a regular NCAA tournament participant. I can only imagine what he could do at the U. https://gocamels.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/justin-haire/894 I am a lifetime Phillies fan. You do NOT want Joe Giradi. He had communications issues with players and his in games moves were questionable to say the least. He could not manage a bullpen without Mario Rivera.

I think Girardi was overrated as Yankees manager… same in game **** reappeared with the Phillies and he got bounced…

Names like this is who I alluded to b4 DiMare stepped down. This guy would be perfect. I believe we have a very appealing opening to any HC at a mid major who’s had major success to step up in pay & play. I agree w/ u.

While I think Haire has done great, we're talking about different skill sets. It's one thing to take a bad mid-tier program and build it into something competitive. It's quite another thing to convince the best kids in the country to come to your program and then beat the other best kids in the country to go to Omaha. That's why a lot of us are leaning toward someone who has either already won as a P5 head coach or who has been a top assistant at an elite program.

Advertisement
Anyone know when the NCAA will increase the number of scholarships from 11.7? Whoever we hire will have to deal with that like Gino did. Also, the Vandy coach ain't leaving there to come here.
You think a guy like Scott Brown wants to remain an assistant his entire career? The Miami head job is a premier offer and is open for the first time in 30 years.

You think a guy like Scott Brown wants to remain an assistant his entire career? The Miami head job is a premier offer and is open for the first time in 30 years.
He and McDonnell are probably the most motivated and have become my Top 2 for that reason - I want somebody proven at a P5 conference school but also hungry to prove themselves in Omaha.

Advertisement
There it is. I was wondering when you would start making excuses.

I guess the scholarship limit forced Gino to throw our only reliable starter against Maine.
He has tried to write a thesis on this for his doctorate in something. I guess Wake Forest just got lucky, cause remember this is just one year, so ignore the data that they have a team of studs, a solid coach headed to the Word series and is a freaking expensive school, more than Miami. SMDH

Almost all first posts are awful, atrocious, etc., but this was an excellent first post, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back