Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Scott Brown Vandy Assistant HC and Pitching coach

Good Idea GIF by Snowfall

The 2023 season is Scott Brown’s 11th as the pitching coach and seventh as associate head coach at Vanderbilt. Brown has helped the Commodores go 430-183-1 (.701) and strike out a nation-high 5,963 batters during his eight seasons.

During Brown’s tenure (11 years), 35 Commodore pitchers have been selected in the MLB Draft, including 12 in the first three rounds.

Advertisement
"search" lulz Another full on cronyism hire for the UM admin fiefdom incoming. Hope they luck out and a coach L lands in their lap.

Without knowing names and resumes (yep I’m clueless) I would start looking at head guys from small Private Universities who have made it work and MidMajors who somehow continually crack Top25 + areas I wouldn’t expect to be hotbeds of baseball, so that means:
Coastal Carolina
Dallas Baptist
Oregon St
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Indiana St

Start there as they got the blue print.

Agreed. Plus he comes from a private school which recruits nationally which suits UM well.
Feels like he’s a guy that will get a shot at a big job. I’d be happy with that, but I think the #1 target should be Dan McDonnell.

Without knowing names and resumes (yep I’m clueless) I would start looking at head guys from small Private Universities who have made it work and MidMajors who somehow continually crack Top25 + areas I wouldn’t expect to be hotbeds of baseball, so that means:
Coastal Carolina
Dallas Baptist
Oregon St
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Indiana St

Start there as they got the blue print.

Pat Casey was responsible for a lot of Oregon Sts success. Not sure yet if Mitch Canham is going to be able to sustain it. Id rather go with Brown.

Advertisement
I am sure it wont happen...and not because we dont take a stab. I just dont know if we can land Mario (despite what some think on here that was a huge hire...results TBD) and then land the top assistant baseball coach in the country. But I have been beating the drum since last summer. So all aboard the Scott Brown to Miami train.
All that being said I am not sold this regime can take it to the next level(and I Know they have been here so if they havent done it yet they wont, I just mean since DiMare has taken the reigns). I truly hope he has been told next year is Super's/Omaha or bust and if he needs to make changes do it now. JD seems like a good guy who has given a lot to the program. But we need new blood. Our arms rarely get better. Most regress so much that they end up being ok at Nova Southeastern or St Thomas...not even dominating there.

Mario C aside baseball needs an outsider with new thoughts and a new way. Go get Scott Brown if we make a change. Develops, recruits the northeast, and has done it everywhere he has went. Also stays out in front of trends. Not a guy who digs and says "Nope my way has worked for years"
I hope not....I think baseball needs fresh blood. A complete non Miami guy.

No Cooper, Lovelady, Cora, etc. All good guys and Cooper has it tough at PSU as the southern schools are just plucking who they want and leaving PSU and Pitt to fight over the scraps.

I've mentioned it before I'd love Scott Brown from Vandy. He's probably got a great network too so he'd make some great hires with him and he would get even more out of our arms as well as plug us in even more in the northeast.

A few non P5 guys that would kill it here too but I'm not sure they'd go that route because of the programs history.

I am sure it wont happen...and not because we dont take a stab. I just dont know if we can land Mario (despite what some think on here that was a huge hire...results TBD) and then land the top assistant baseball coach in the country. But I have been beating the drum since last summer. So all aboard the Scott Brown to Miami train.
How many years does Corbin have left? About a decade, right? Brown would be smart to strike while the iron is hot.

Advertisement
How many years does Corbin have left? About a decade, right? Brown would be smart to strike while the iron is hot.
He’s around 60. I could see him going another 8-10yrs. NIL is going to even the SEC out a bit more and Vandys scholarship advantage won’t be as advantageous. Obviously they still develop at a high level too.

Whoever it is I expect a “homerun” and prob showing them whatever plans they have for even more upgrades to the program.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back