Canes Baseball Assistant Corch Tracker

That’s an odd way of saying “I was wrong when I said that Gino didn’t allow NIL”.
Even more odd that OriginalCane doubled down in response to a rebuttal of a simple 8 word sentence "Gino did not allow nil deals for baseball" with this classic piece of sophistry: "Steven says that Gino did not allow "NIL deals for baseball", which I read as something comparable to what is being offered in football and basketball, an overall NIL "deal" that is for a significant sum of money."

Dude tried to save more face than Hannibal Lecter.

Advertisement
Can we stop making excuses for every single thing at this program and everywhere we may not have an ideal situation? It is tedious already. Miami was king of the state in baseball for decades. And then wasn’t. And then made this hire.
Thankfully, most posters point the finger at the Canes brass instead of making excuses. If you want to be a blue-blood program, than take the necessary steps to do so. If you'd rather be Alcorn State, than axe the program or be honest with fans and alumni that it's just not a priority anymore.

Can we stop making excuses for every single thing at this program and everywhere we may not have an ideal situation? It is tedious already. Miami was king of the state in baseball for decades. And then wasn’t. And then made this hire.
Facts are excuses now? I wasn’t saying it to excuse Miami. They should absolutely go hire the best. Doesn’t change the fact that every resource is given to LSU

They are all in on baseball at LSU. Fanatical about the sport and their AD gets it. If we were serious, we would go all in on Nolan Cain, make him AHC, and let him go ham.
Give us their assistant AD after Rad’s retirement tour ends when the football facility is built. LSU is one of the gold standards rn for having multiple successful programs

Facts are excuses now? I wasn’t saying it to excuse Miami. They should absolutely go hire the best. Doesn’t change the fact that every resource is given to LSU
Miami is in control of their own finances. The same way they chose not to spend it on football until last year, they are making that same decision today with baseball. You do not need to be the biggest public school in a state to have resources. Miami is choosing to not do that and doesn’t get a pass.

Advertisement

LSU is a national contender in multiple sports. Their teams are “given” those resources so that they can compete for national titles. If the excuse is a lack of resources, stop pretending to be a P5 athletic department.

LSU is a national contender in multiple sports. Their teams are “given” those resources so that they can compete for national titles. If the excuse is a lack of resources, stop pretending to be a P5 athletic department.
It's not as simple as that.

LSU's athletic revenue was $199M in 2022, $73.8M of that fundraising/donations.

Miami's information is much hard to find, so the only number i found to this point was $115M in revenue with $26M in fundraising/donations.

When you make that much more, you can spend that much more. It's simple economics.

Miami's information is much hard to find, so the only number i found to this point was $115M in revenue with $26M in fundraising/donations.

When you make that much more, you can spend that much more. It's simple economics.
No, no, you missed the point.

I said “if that is the excuse”. Most of us here know that our problems have been due to a lazy recruiting philosophy and poor player development. It has not been a matter of money. Wake Forest and Dallas Baptist don’t have deeper pockets, but they have better programs.

Advertisement
Doesn’t have to be a dichotomy: either outspend LSU or scrap the program. It would just give me hope if our AD actually gave af about the program and didn’t make a lazy hire. There are guys out there. He just didn’t want to make the effort. Rad is a money guy, and baseball doesn’t make money.

LSU has contenders in multiple sports, that number would would be 10’s of millions higher each in revenue and fundraising and donations if we had been a consistent top 10 football program. We’ve finished 7 of the last 20 years ranked in the top 25. With those kinds of results on the field I’m actually somewhat surprised that revenue was that high.

LSU has contenders in multiple sports, that number would would be 10’s of millions higher each in revenue and fundraising and donations if we had been a consistent top 10 football program. We’ve finished 7 of the last 20 years ranked in the top 25. With those kinds of results on the field I’m actually somewhat surprised that revenue was that high.
How do you know it would be 10's of millions?

Big schools like LSU get bumps in fundraising when teams are playing well bc they have a much larger alumni base to pull from. A little from a lot of people still equals a lot. A bump at Miami of that significance would likely come from the same people already contributing.

Big schools like LSU get bumps in fundraising when teams are playing well bc they have a much larger alumni base to pull from. A little from a lot of people still equals a lot. A bump at Miami of that significance would likely come from the same people already contributing.
This! Especially , in Miami, you’re not gonna get many new contributions from non-alumni Even if football and baseball won the national championship in the same year

Advertisement

Miami was a national brand in the 80’s, 90’s, early 2000’s. People wore Miami merchandise all around the country. Now merchandise sales are strictly south Florida with some up into central Florida. Merchandise sales would explode with just a couple back to back 10 win seasons.

Ticket Sales would go up significantly. Look at ticket sale jumps with the Richt and Cristobal hires. Follow that up with a few 10 win seasons and ticket sales would continue to climb. Obviously the on field performance didn’t allow that momentum to continue (Cristobal to be determined). This isn’t the same 80’s and 90’s makeup where the team was just getting going and didn’t have a history of success that you were pulling 40,000 people to watch a #1 ranked team. There are plenty of people down here who grew up loving the canes and are dying to start bringing their families to games. Cost of tickets would also continue to increase as well.

Do you actually think that alums and fans that are donating to the program are actually giving the maximum that they would give to the athletic department? Why would someone right now who is donating $200 a year to the athletic program when we seem to be staying the same if not regressing? With some results those $200 donations become $500-$1000 donations.

We’re losing out each year on millions if not $10+million in bowl game revenue by going to the terrible bowls we have been if not missing out on them altogether. A packed stadium for regionals and super regionals would generate upwards of a million dollars of additional revenue as well.

On field results would definitely add 20% to the bottom line of our revenue especially in a major national market especially people moving down here with no college football allegiances. Baton Rouge/New Orleans is only major regional player. So we have that in our favor.

Do I think we can surpass what LSU does in revenue, of course not. But do I believe we can close the 50% gap down to 10-20% in revenue yeah I think it’s possible. We are in a national market, Baton Rouge/New Orleans is a major regional market. We are in a market with people coming down here daily without any college sports allegiances. The opportunity for growth in revenue is pretty considerable if we can just start doing something on the field.

Miami was a national brand in the 80’s, 90’s, early 2000’s. People wore Miami merchandise all around the country. Now merchandise sales are strictly south Florida with some up into central Florida. Merchandise sales would explode with just a couple back to back 10 win seasons.

Ticket Sales would go up significantly. Look at ticket sale jumps with the Richt and Cristobal hires. Follow that up with a few 10 win seasons and ticket sales would continue to climb. Obviously the on field performance didn’t allow that momentum to continue (Cristobal to be determined). This isn’t the same 80’s and 90’s makeup where the team was just getting going and didn’t have a history of success that you were pulling 40,000 people to watch a #1 ranked team. There are plenty of people down here who grew up loving the canes and are dying to start bringing their families to games. Cost of tickets would also continue to increase as well.

Do you actually think that alums and fans that are donating to the program are actually giving the maximum that they would give to the athletic department? Why would someone right now who is donating $200 a year to the athletic program when we seem to be staying the same if not regressing? With some results those $200 donations become $500-$1000 donations.

We’re losing out each year on millions if not $10+million in bowl game revenue by going to the terrible bowls we have been if not missing out on them altogether. A packed stadium for regionals and super regionals would generate upwards of a million dollars of additional revenue as well.

On field results would definitely add 20% to the bottom line of our revenue especially in a major national market especially people moving down here with no college football allegiances. Baton Rouge/New Orleans is only major regional player. So we have that in our favor.

Do I think we can surpass what LSU does in revenue, of course not. But do I believe we can close the 50% gap down to 10-20% in revenue yeah I think it’s possible. We are in a national market, Baton Rouge/New Orleans is a major regional market. We are in a market with people coming down here daily without any college sports allegiances. The opportunity for growth in revenue is pretty considerable if we can just start doing something on the field.
All ACC schools reveive expenses for the bowl games they attend. All net bowl proceeds are split equally among all ACC schools. The new agreement will change that to some extent but there has not been s school-specific effect thus far/

No, no, you missed the point.

I said “if that is the excuse”. Most of us here know that our problems have been due to a lazy recruiting philosophy and poor player development. It has not been a matter of money. Wake Forest and Dallas Baptist don’t have deeper pockets, but they have better programs.
That’s just reality.

It is not an absolute L$U or Texas do or die situation.

There is no excuse of The University of Miami to care less, financially or otherwise, about their baseball program than a TCU, Dallas Baptist, Wake, etc.

There is also a level of fundraising and program support between those 2 tiers as well. As really a tiny private school, we shouldn’t be striving for or expected to strive for LSU or Texas, but rather, strive to at least be at the top or near the top of comparable programs…then, sometimes, you can take that further in results.

Advertisement
Doesn’t have to be a dichotomy: either outspend LSU or scrap the program. It would just give me hope if our AD actually gave af about the program and didn’t make a lazy hire. There are guys out there. He just didn’t want to make the effort. Rad is a money guy, and baseball doesn’t make money.
Rad is a fundraiser for building facilities. Period. He could have $100 million at his disposal and he still wouldn’t invest it in a coaching staff and NIL infrastructure. He’d demolish an old building and construct a taller one with a slide in it.

Baseball makes money for schools that are good at it. At worst, a top 25 program should pay for itself. There’s no excuse for not making the right investments that leads to offsetting the costs for your baseball program.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back