Canes Baseball Assistant Corch Tracker

Cannot deny that. Another area data analytics could really drive some change if they know how to use it. I know they're tracking spin and movement at the facility and in the stadium - the data is there to map the effectiveness of everyone's pitches in specific locations, counts, etc.

They just didn't do a lot with it as recent as 2021 when I was around. Not sure if that's starting to change or made any improvement in 2022-2023.

I've seen a lot of people speculate that Gino was the one holding back data analytics and JD wanted to do it. He all but said it in his presser. I'm eager to see it.
Someone told me at the conference tournament they heard his dad didn't want him to pitch again this year and wanted to just shut it down and recover 100% but the staff put pressure on him to return. Might have some legs to it. Or this is their way of saying the injury was the staff's fault to begin with.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if we gently nudged him out the door. Dead arm 2 years in a row on a 100% scholarship is a total waste. Plus the fact that his velo is 3-5 mph down from what he was in HS. We need room for guys that can stay healthy.
the first paragraph is accurate but he wasnt nudged. Although they understand why; they're upset he's leaving

Advertisement
I go back and forth on Tosar - no doubt he's qualified for the job. Seems to be a good hire to me.

Part of me says hitting is hitting and if you can coach it at the big league level you can coach it in college. But the other part of me knows that's not truly the case and some of the best hitting coaches in the MLB would be awful college hitting coaches. It's a different language.

The Field Coordinator role is a new thing popping up and those guys are involved in understanding the rule changes and finding advantages as well as handling the shift, alignment, etc. and involve a lot of data analytics. If he got that role then he's probably got that kind of back ground and that's what we need at UM.

Personally, I can't complain about the hires we've made if Tosar getting hired is legit. Laz isn't a grand slam but I think he'll do fine. Smart guy with a Ph.D, he'll bring in fresh ideas and I don't think we'll be old school anymore.
Tosar from a pure hitting standpoint is a very very good hire. I'm hesitant on how well he can recruit or if he'll have the interest in it. But he's extremely respected. All in all, I'm shocked he's leaving Grifol

Not humiliated. Amused by getting you triggered. You backed up Steven's argument that it was "prohibited" by Gino, not whether or not it was part of the recruiting process. You added that in there later to save face. The dollar amount is irrelevant. In addition to Opendorse, I showed there were in fact LifeWallet deals when you tried to move the goalposts by bringing Ruiz's name into it because Opendorse money was too small for you to be considered a real NIL deal.
"Feel free to tell us how these LifeWallet deals were a part of the recruiting/signing process, as they are in football and basketball.

You can't. You won't."

Actually, I will. Because Gino wasn't allowed to.

"While universities have established many of their own guidelines and guardrails in the NIL era, college sports' governing body has held firm with one restriction: Coaches are prohibited from brokering deals for athletes and prospects."

Violation Summary: The Miami (Florida) women’s basketball head coach violated NCAA rules when she facilitated impermissible contact between two prospects and a booster.

Been fun busting you up. I'll get back to talking about baseball. Thanks for the meltdowns.

I've thoroughly destroyed you.

And please stop it with your falsifications.

Here's what you are missing and/or can't grasp. I NEVER said "Hey, man, Steven is 100% right, man." I did say that I understood the difference between Steven's mention of NIL DEALS, and your silly citation of individual offers to sign stuff or do Cameos.

Steven mentioned "NIL deals" in Post 297. You IMMEDIATELY cited "Opendorse" to rebut him in Post #298. I then commented on YOUR "Opendeorse" nonsense on Post #302. I pointed out that Steven was referring to the types of NIL "DEALS" offered to football and basketball recruits around the time of recruitment/signing, and that you rebutted his claim with fluff about players offering to do Cameos.

I've been posting about NIL for the past two years. I know **** well that several baseball players have small deals with LifeWallet that were not set up during the recruiting process. I'm actually trying to assist another student-athlete who signed with UM pre-NIL to get a post-enrollment NIL deal.

Again, you confuse my arguments with Steven's. Steven is the one who made fun of the Cameo money as being small. MY point was about the structuring and timing of the DEAL. And regardless of your lengthy tangent on Katie's mistake, I never said the coaches are the ones who should be setting up NIL deals. I've merely pointed out that NIL negotiations AND DEALS are an integral part of the recruiting process. Or are you trying to deny actual historical reality for the past two years? Were you asleep when Nijel Pack's $800K deal was announced BEFORE he enrolled at UM?

Hey, maybe you're just not comfortable with reading comp and nuance. The last few years have been hard on guys who can't comprehend "wink-wink-nudge-nudge". I know that we'd all like to think that every NIL deal follows a set procedure, but it's not like that. Even if Gino doesn't make a phone call like Katie did, you can't possibly tell me that hundreds of football and basketball and baseball coaches across the country are COMPLETELY UNAWARE of the NIL deals being negotiated (with or without them) during the RECRUITNG process and PRIOR TO the signing of the binding Letters of Intent.

Advertisement
I didn't think it was likely to do that to a likely weekend starter.

But it is frustrating when guys don't stay healthy for the same reason multiple years in a row.
I'm not sure how they're going to fill a rotation. It was thin to begin with and now they just lost their #2. Doubt they're many viable options left in the portal. We'll see how much of their signing class actually makes it to campus without signing in the draft. Seems to be a very young team next year

I'm not sure how they're going to fill a rotation. It was thin to begin with and now they just lost their #2. Doubt they're many viable options left in the portal. We'll see how much of their signing class actually makes it to campus without signing in the draft. Seems to be a very young team next year
They need to bring in the Carlos Rey kid that announced he's going to UCF from Nova and then bring in Herick Hernandez. LHP ace of the Miami Dade squad - still uncommitted as far as I know. Pair those 2 with Ziehl and Rafe and it's formidable.

There will be more leading up to the draft and post-draft - especially juco and small school kids that won't be drafted

They need to bring in the Carlos Rey kid that announced he's going to UCF from Nova and then bring in Herick Hernandez. LHP ace of the Miami Dade squad - still uncommitted as far as I know. Pair those 2 with Ziehl and Rafe and it's formidable.

There will be more leading up to the draft and post-draft - especially juco and small school kids that won't be drafted
How do you see Scinta fitting in? Had a solid freshman year and flashed some good stuff.

How do you see Scinta fitting in? Had a solid freshman year and flashed some good stuff.
I like Scinta. As the roster stands now I could see him making a run at the rotation. Assuming we add arms I think he's a high-leverage bullpen guy and that's his best fit for at least 1 more year.

Also, did he ever get up to 3 innings this year? There were times he was cruising and they just pulled him after 25-30 pitches. He may not have the stamina and needs a lot of conditioning to get to that point.

Gallo could also challenge for the rotation. He has decent stuff to be a guy. Best guess is Gallo, Scinta, and Walters are the 3 main bullpen arms next year.

Advertisement
I go back and forth on Tosar - no doubt he's qualified for the job. Seems to be a good hire to me.

Part of me says hitting is hitting and if you can coach it at the big league level you can coach it in college. But the other part of me knows that's not truly the case and some of the best hitting coaches in the MLB would be awful college hitting coaches. It's a different language.

The Field Coordinator role is a new thing popping up and those guys are involved in understanding the rule changes and finding advantages as well as handling the shift, alignment, etc. and involve a lot of data analytics. If he got that role then he's probably got that kind of back ground and that's what we need at UM.

Personally, I can't complain about the hires we've made if Tosar getting hired is legit. Laz isn't a grand slam but I think he'll do fine. Smart guy with a Ph.D, he'll bring in fresh ideas and I don't think we'll be old school anymore.
hearing now that report by Geo may be premature and that Tosar may want to stick with the White Sox. Idk if thats negotiation but thats what I just heard now

No, only here, apparently.
Stanford 100% covers every students expenses (tuition, Room+Board, etc) if their parents make <$100k. If they make <$150k, then Tuition is fully covered at minimum. And that doesn't mean if your parents make more you won't receive any aid either... Their endowment is like 30x bigger than ours lol.
We don't provide even close to that level of financial aid....So them covering scholarships is really nbd.

Wake and TCU, yeah, same position as us...

Advertisement
He said "NIL DEALS". You then scoured the internet to find a link for CJ Kayfus where he charges 2-figure sums to do Cameos.

Yeah, boy, you really showed him! You really rebutted the **** out of him!

Yes, you're SO RIGHT! "Where is the evidence?" Which is kinda the whole point.

WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE THAT GINO WAS MAKING FRANTIC CALLS TO MR. RUIZ TO LAND RECRUITS THE WAY THAT KATIE DID? Oh, that's right, there is no evidence...

...BECAUSE IT NEVER HAPPENED...

So is it your contention that Mr. Ruiz, whose son played on the UM Baseball team, simply DOES NOT WANT TO OFFER NIL TO UM BASEBALL PLAYERS?

Good lord, man, you won my argument for me.

But you really showed Steven! Way to go, Mr. Opendorse, nobody will ever stand up to YOU again!

hearing now that report by Geo may be premature and that Tosar may want to stick with the White Sox. Idk if thats negotiation but thats what I just heard now

You mean like that one time Randy Shannon hired Dirk Koetter?

Lsu loses Wes Johnson and just goes right into college station and takes Nate Yeskie.

Lsu is all in on sports. They know apps go up, more apps you can be more selective, grow class sizes, add more buildings, etc. it can drive a whole campus.

On the flip side the ABCA just sent out a memo and encouraged coaches to start reporting tampering.

Lsu loses Wes Johnson and just goes right into college station and takes Nate Yeskie.

Lsu is all in on sports. They know apps go up, more apps you can be more selective, grow class sizes, add more buildings, etc. it can drive a whole campus.

On the flip side the ABCA just sent out a memo and encouraged coaches to start reporting tampering.
They are all in on baseball at LSU. Fanatical about the sport and their AD gets it. If we were serious, we would go all in on Nolan Cain, make him AHC, and let him go ham.

Advertisement
Peter Ariz mentioned on his show tonight that he’s hearing Miami is going after a hitting coach from the major league level. He didn’t say any names but makes me think Tosar. He thinks our hitting would make major improvements.

Did you mean Peter Gammons?

Otherwise sounds like a guess / hope on the major improvement part …

They are all in on baseball at LSU. Fanatical about the sport and their AD gets it. If we were serious, we would go all in on Nolan Cain, make him AHC, and let him go ham.
Point taken but it’s kinda easy to go all in when you’re king of the state.they know what sells the school.

Point taken but it’s kinda easy to go all in when you’re king of the state.they know what sells the school.
Can we stop making excuses for every single thing at this program and everywhere we may not have an ideal situation? It is tedious already. Miami was king of the state in baseball for decades. And then wasn’t. And then made this hire.

Advertisement
Back