Canes Baseball Assistant Corch Tracker

Here is another data point. Bostono College has a currentTotal enrollment of 15,000 students. They're total endowment is 3.7 billion dollars, roughly three times that of the University of Miami.

Advertisement
To be clear, I am one of the people who has accurately and consistently pointed out the issue with rising Miami tuition and its impact to ALL of our equivalency scholarship sports, not just baseball. And I've pointed this out for 15 years.

And I've got a lot to go on. I've been a UM student from back in the days when the tuition was less than $10K per year. I had multiple friends and roommates who were athletes in various UM sports, some with "head-count" scholarships (full rides) and others with "equivalency" scholarships. Had a roommate who got supplemental funding from the US Olympic program. So I'm very familiar with the economics.

What has happened is complex. Sure, some people want to mock because of the oversimplification of "11.7 scholarships, man". But it is a problem that has been accelerating for the past 15-20 years and it is becoming more and more problematic each year.

And issues are complicated by the rise of REASONABLE ALTERNATIVES. If a kid is concerned about having to pick up 65-75% of the cost to attend Miami, then there are quite a few state-school alternatives out there which are much cheaper.

Finally, Miami is a program that is getting squeezed on both ends. The absolute best players are draft-worthy, and many of our commits do not make it to campus (including one of our biggest donors). Many talented "less-draft-worthy" players can go to a wide variety of as-good (UiF/F$U) or nearly as good (UCF, FIU, FAU, USF) state schools that are much cheaper. Miami must over-rely on prep school kids whose families can afford to pay the tuition differential. We've already heard that Miami is not a big player in the baseball NIL space, which has surprised me due to the Ruiz family connection to baseball. And we **** well know that UM is way behind other strong private schools in lowering the EFFECTIVE cost to students (not just student-athletes) by having a larger endowment for need-based scholarship money.

So you have to take ALL of the factors together. This is a perfect storm that has been building for two decades. It's not just "11.7 scholarships". It's the overall refusal to acknowledge that equivalency scholarships ARE GARBAGE. Particularly for a revenue sport that feeds the league that is "the American pasttime". There's plenty of money in baseball, and to be made in baseball. Somehow, though, we've had decades worth of poor TV deals, poor facilities, poor scheduling, poor exposure, poor integration (yes, I hate the aluminum bat), and other oversights that make COLLEGE baseball a puny weakling when compared to Major League Baseball.

Yes, we have to address 11.7 scholarships. It's terrible. And it is having a growing impact on private schools that are not well-positioned to offer alternative methods of bridging the difference between private and state school costs.

That does not mean "11.7 is why Gino failed" or anything else. I would also point out that even Jim Morris' accomplishments declined over time. He was much better at UM in the early part of his career. Even a college baseball Hall of Famer faced difficult challenges due to the limit on scholarships and the rising cost of college attendance.
Come on man, stop with this stuff. Wake, Duke, Notre Dame and BC are all catching up with us if not surpassing us in the ACC without the track record and without the fertile recruiting grounds right in their backyards that we have. All are Private schools as well.

It’s not easy being a private school trying to compete with 11.7 scholarships but let’s not act like we are having trouble in spite of making good hires, recruiting at a national level for “baseball” players and not just summer showcase talent.

I can agree that something should be done about the 11.7 scholarship rule and that kids who generate revenue for their schools should be compensated better but I can’t get behind you that it is one of the top 3 reasons why we are failing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He said "NIL DEALS". You then scoured the internet to find a link for CJ Kayfus where he charges 2-figure sums to do Cameos.

Yeah, boy, you really showed him! You really rebutted the **** out of him!

Yes, you're SO RIGHT! "Where is the evidence?" Which is kinda the whole point.

WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE THAT GINO WAS MAKING FRANTIC CALLS TO MR. RUIZ TO LAND RECRUITS THE WAY THAT KATIE DID? Oh, that's right, there is no evidence...

...BECAUSE IT NEVER HAPPENED...

So is it your contention that Mr. Ruiz, whose son played on the UM Baseball team, simply DOES NOT WANT TO OFFER NIL TO UM BASEBALL PLAYERS?

Good lord, man, you won my argument for me.

But you really showed Steven! Way to go, Mr. Opendorse, nobody will ever stand up to YOU again!
Yes, you showed no proof whatsoever that NIL is prohibited. I have to prove that Gino made a call to John Ruiz to disprove that NIL was prohibited??? What kind of circular reasoning is that? Here's a reason why Ruiz might not offer a deal to a baseball player: It's not good business. Sure, a donor may altruistically throw some money at a player with no expectation of return because he wants to help the program. More realistically, a NIL deal there would be an expectation of return. That's why a gymnast from LSU gets huge money as well as the Cavinder twins- they have a big social media following that they can leverage to promote their NIL sponsor's good or service. There isn't a single player on the Canes baseball team that commands a sizable social media following. Outside of die hard college baseball fans and the rank and file UM supporter, they are invisible.

Original Cane: "Mike Trout plays for the Brewers.
Me: Well, actually Baseball Reference says he plays for the Angels. Plus here's a copy of his contract with the Angels as well as tons of video footage of him playing for the Angels and none of him playing for the Brewers.
Original Cane: "What I meant to say is that the Brewers wished they had drafted him. And he would have been better off with the Brewers. You're twisting my words. This is just more BS from you."

I think today's Supreme Court decision has you triggered. You keep whining about fairness as if the world is out to ***** you and the Canes. Take a deep breath, get a beer at the Titanic and chill. Better yet, go read your own posts and see how unhinged you come off as. And stop white knighting for "Steve".

At least Yoyo, CJ, Gallo, Martin, and Walters had LifeWallet deals so there was certainly nothing stopping the players/Ruiz from doing them on their own
Exactly. Nowhere does it say the head coach has to broker NIL deals. There are several players that do have them, but Original Cane insists that Gino prohibited them. Glad to see you back: I thought you might have blacked out on a park bench after the official news broke.

Here is another data point. Bostono College has a currentTotal enrollment of 15,000 students. They're total endowment is 3.7 billion dollars, roughly three times that of the University of Miami.
And Oral Roberts is 45 million, about half of what we pay our .500 football coach. And Wake's endowment is similar to ours. TCU's isn't much higher.
Reminds me of that scene from The Departed:
Bookie: I'm in the hole, I pay him two grand a week! No profit, I pay him two grand a week!
Mr. French: Then make more ****ing money. This is America: You don't make money, you're a ****in' douche bag! Now, what're you gonna do?
Bookie: Make more money!
Mr. French: That's the spirit!

All this talk about academics is irrelevant in this context. Almost all of these kids that we're signing aren't here to "play school". The only things that matter are the quality of the baseball program and how much money the parents have to pay.

Advertisement
That is promising
I had the yips my freshman year. I went from a guy that pounded the strike zone to spiking balls quite literally 40 feet or sailing it 4 feet over the batter’s head. I had no idea what the yips were…dark place. Wanted to transfer so badly but stuck it out and then eventually figured it out over the summer.

Baseball really is the most mental sport. Definitely going to read his work.

Yes, you showed no proof whatsoever that NIL is prohibited. I have to prove that Gino made a call to John Ruiz to disprove that NIL was prohibited??? What kind of circular reasoning is that? Here's a reason why Ruiz might not offer a deal to a baseball player: It's not good business. Sure, a donor may altruistically throw some money at a player with no expectation of return because he wants to help the program. More realistically, a NIL deal there would be an expectation of return. That's why a gymnast from LSU gets huge money as well as the Cavinder twins- they have a big social media following that they can leverage to promote their NIL sponsor's good or service. There isn't a single player on the Canes baseball team that commands a sizable social media following. Outside of die hard college baseball fans and the rank and file UM supporter, they are invisible.

Original Cane: "Mike Trout plays for the Brewers.
Me: Well, actually Baseball Reference says he plays for the Angels. Plus here's a copy of his contract with the Angels as well as tons of video footage of him playing for the Angels and none of him playing for the Brewers.
Original Cane: "What I meant to say is that the Brewers wished they had drafted him. And he would have been better off with the Brewers. You're twisting my words. This is just more BS from you."

I think today's Supreme Court decision has you triggered. You keep whining about fairness as if the world is out to ***** you and the Canes. Take a deep breath, get a beer at the Titanic and chill. Better yet, go read your own posts and see how unhinged you come off as. And stop white knighting for "Steve".

What a ridiculous response from you.

First, I'm not the one showing proof or not. This is an argument between Steven and yourself. I'm just commenting on it.

Second, you use an awful lot of words to obscure the fact that your entire response was "But but but Opendorse". And the fact that our guys will do Cameo videos.

Sad. You are really clowning yourself, and I'm just observing it and laughing at it.

But congratulations on crushing Steven with that whole "Opendorse" nonsense. I'm going to laugh about that one for years to come. You might need to change your name like Jagermeister/Wandering Wanderer did.

Exactly. Nowhere does it say the head coach has to broker NIL deals. There are several players that do have them, but Original Cane insists that Gino prohibited them. Glad to see you back: I thought you might have blacked out on a park bench after the official news broke.

I did not assert that. Steven did.

I guess it's too difficult for you to keep your facts and posters straight when you are just shotgunning bull**** at us all.

And Wake's endowment is similar to ours. TCU's isn't much higher.

Please stop lying.

TCU's endowment fund is double the size of Miami's. Wake's endowment fund is 50% larger than Miami's.

Miami has been around for nearly 100 years and is still far behind nearly every other major private university. I admire your "optimism", but we are not "similar to" these schools, and their endowment funds are much higher than ours. Not to mention the fact that I mentioned numerous others (Stanford, Duke, Vandy) whose funds are MULTIPLES larger than Miami's endowment fund. As per usual, you only want to stick to the tiny segment of the argument that you think will help you, while ignoring all the parts that destroy you.

But, hey, feel free to go out there and double Miami's endowment fund. You seem to think it's so easy, and that these differences are not that much. I'm sure you can pull in a billion or two...EASY...

You don't seem to be very good at math. When a school has an endowment fund that is 50% higher, or double, and then has a smaller student body...oh lord, why am I helping you out with math? Anyone with half a brain can figure out that math, it's not difficult.

Advertisement
So to clarify this… he doesn’t actively recruit with it, but he did allow it. I just got clarification on this which to me is counterproductive anyway whether he allows it or not because he has to sell it. @TheOriginalCane thoughts? JD plans to actively recruit with nil point being Gino was pretty archaic in his beliefs. Sorry for the confusion.

Interesting stats on Laz Gutierrez:

The year before he arrived at Nova, their team ERA ranked #77 in the country. His first full season they jumped up to #19. Team WHIP also jumped from #80 to #19.

He was the only coach on staff with experience as a pitching coach, so probably fair to say he was running the show. Impressive results.

So to clarify this… he doesn’t actively recruit with it, but he did allow it. I just got clarification on this which to me is counterproductive anyway whether he allows it or not because he has to sell it. @TheOriginalCane thoughts? JD plans to actively recruit with nil point being Gino was pretty archaic in his beliefs. Sorry for the confusion.

It's all good, Steven. I knew what you meant.

Don't get me wrong, I love what hoops has done the past two seasons, but when NIL first started, and with Mr. Ruiz's affinity for baseball, I thought he would naturally be excited to sign a number of baseball recruits in the same way he has facilitated for football and basketball recruiting. We've CERTAINLY had more UM baseball players end up in MLB than we've had with basketball players being drafted into the NBA.

The bottom line is that UM Baseball does NOT utilize NIL in the recruiting process in the same way that football and basketball do. That's a fact. Whether Gino was OK with Mr. Ruiz signing a few already-on-the-roster guys is a different issue.

And "Opendorse" doesn't address EITHER of those two NIL DEAL situations.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Okay. I understand Stanford being more prestigious academic wise than Miami but Wake & TCU? Could throw Duke in this convo as well.

If I read everything correctly, Miami baseball has a big disadvantage now due to cost to attend and not being highly ranked academically. Can JD over some all this or baseball destined to be average now?

Did anyone catch possible changes to be FBS yesterday? Saw something about schools having to offer 210 full scholarships I believe. Anyone know what it is now??
I would argue we are better than an "average" baseball program. Though we are definitely not a program that is in the same stratosphere as the one that won 4 titles and went to Omaha a dozen times in a 2-decade span (40-20 years ago). Why?

Is it just a coincidence that most of our depth pieces (read: not the 5 or 6 guys we sign every year that give us that "top-x" recruiting ranking - who might be Florida public-school kids or from Delaware) are private school kids from Dade/Broward County?

I guess we're supposed to believe that's just because Morris/Gino/JD are lazy and don't care about winning. Or... things have changed in the last two decades. Just ask Rice and Tulane (who are more similar to us, w/r/t resources, in the "private-public" debate than Stanford and Vanderbilt and Duke).

I would argue we are better than an "average" baseball program. Though we are definitely not a program that is in the same stratosphere as the one that won 4 titles and went to Omaha a dozen times in a 2-decade span (40-20 years ago). Why?

Is it just a coincidence that most of our depth pieces (read: not the 5 or 6 guys we sign every year that give us that "top-x" recruiting ranking - who might be Florida public-school kids or from Delaware) are private school kids from Dade/Broward County?

I guess we're supposed to believe that's just because Morris/Gino/JD are lazy and don't care about winning. Or... things have changed in the last two decades. Just ask Rice and Tulane (who are more similar to us, w/r/t resources, in the "private-public" debate than Stanford and Vanderbilt and Duke).
Money post here very well said

I absolutely think Morris and DiMare could have worked harder. Morris retired about 8 years before retiring, and Gino has never grinded it out on the recruiting trail. Why do you think JD said we can't just sit back and recruit Miami-Dade? It's because we have been comfortable sitting back and recruiting Miami-Dade. If "lazy" is too harsh, we can find another word, but it is what it is.

Peter Ariz mentioned on his show tonight that he’s hearing Miami is going after a hitting coach from the major league level. He didn’t say any names but makes me think Tosar. He thinks our hitting would make major improvements.

Advertisement
Back