Canes Baseball Assistant Corch Tracker

Advertisement
This is incorrect. if you go to OpenEndorse, the NIL website that Miami uses, you can see the going rates for the baseball team.

Wait, wait, let me see if I understand this...

Steven says that Gino did not allow "NIL deals for baseball", which I read as something comparable to what is being offered in football and basketball, an overall NIL "deal" that is for a significant sum of money.

Pitcher rebuts with "but but but Opendorse", which for CJ Kayfus involves:

$12 for CJ recording a video for you
$86 for CJ posting on social media for you
$60 for CJ making an appearance for you
$50 for CJ autographing something for you
$12 for CJ responding to a custom request

And, sure, while this is the ORIGINAL intent of allowing NIL, it's not really the same thing. I did not read Steven's post to mean "Gino would chase down players and prevent them from doing a Cameo". I read Steven's post to mean that Gino did not allow large NIL packages to be negotiated as a part of the overall recruiting pitch.

But, hey, thanks for the Opendorse link, now I know how to book CJ Kayfus for my bar mitzvah...

Opendorse is a service provided for the individual athlete. They can sign up themselves (kinda like Cameo).

Rad blows. Horribly. He's Flake James 2.0
Ppl
This is what you do. You attempt to use one data point ("CWS this year") in order to rebut a bigger picture problem.

And then you try to imply that I exaggerated the endowments as an issue.

I'll play along and address your overly simplistic "4 private schools" example.

Three of the four "private schools" were founded in the 1800s. They've been raising money for more than one century (hence the use of the plural word "centuries"), compared to Miami which is only just now getting close to its centennial.

---Wake Forest - founded 1834 - $2 billion endowment - 9,000 students
---TCU - founded 1873 - $2.5 billion endowment - 12,000 students
---Stanford - founded 1891 - $36 billion endowment - 17,000 students

---Miami - founded 1925 - $1.3 billion endowment - 19,000 students

Any questions?

As for Oral Roberts, yes, they crashed the party this year. Last time they made the College World Series? 1978. Only other time Oral Roberts made the College World Series? 1978.
Let me add to this. I graduated from Lafayette college. It was founded in 1832. It currently has 2000 undergraduate only students and an endowment of 1.1 billion. The numbers suggest that the University of Miami has been under generating endowment funds for its size and supposed prestige.

Advertisement
Ppl

Let me add to this. I graduated from Lafayette college. It was founded in 1832. It currently has 2000 undergraduate only students and an endowment of 1.1 billion. The numbers suggest that the University of Miami has been under generating endowment funds for its size and supposed prestige.
Feel like you may have mentioned Lafayette before. I grew up about 15 minutes from there. Have had a few beverages over the years on College Hill. A close friend owns Utopia.

Wait, wait, let me see if I understand this...

Steven says that Gino did not allow "NIL deals for baseball", which I read as something comparable to what is being offered in football and basketball, an overall NIL "deal" that is for a significant sum of money.

Pitcher rebuts with "but but but Opendorse", which for CJ Kayfus involves:

$12 for CJ recording a video for you
$86 for CJ posting on social media for you
$60 for CJ making an appearance for you
$50 for CJ autographing something for you
$12 for CJ responding to a custom request

And, sure, while this is the ORIGINAL intent of allowing NIL, it's not really the same thing. I did not read Steven's post to mean "Gino would chase down players and prevent them from doing a Cameo". I read Steven's post to mean that Gino did not allow large NIL packages to be negotiated as a part of the overall recruiting pitch.

But, hey, thanks for the Opendorse link, now I know how to book CJ Kayfus for my bar mitzvah...
He used plain English to suggest NIL deals were prohibited by Gino. I provided evidence to the contrary. Where is the evidence that if Ruiz wanted to drop 500k on a player that Gino would say no?

Ppl

Yes sir.

The two UM presidents who have BY FAR raised the most amount of money for the Endowment Fund have been Foote and Shalala. Before Foote, it was nothing.

He used plain English to suggest NIL deals were prohibited by Gino. I provided evidence to the contrary. Where is the evidence that if Ruiz wanted to drop 500k on a player that Gino would say no?

He said "NIL DEALS". You then scoured the internet to find a link for CJ Kayfus where he charges 2-figure sums to do Cameos.

Yeah, boy, you really showed him! You really rebutted the **** out of him!

Yes, you're SO RIGHT! "Where is the evidence?" Which is kinda the whole point.

WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE THAT GINO WAS MAKING FRANTIC CALLS TO MR. RUIZ TO LAND RECRUITS THE WAY THAT KATIE DID? Oh, that's right, there is no evidence...

...BECAUSE IT NEVER HAPPENED...

So is it your contention that Mr. Ruiz, whose son played on the UM Baseball team, simply DOES NOT WANT TO OFFER NIL TO UM BASEBALL PLAYERS?

Good lord, man, you won my argument for me.

But you really showed Steven! Way to go, Mr. Opendorse, nobody will ever stand up to YOU again!

Advertisement
At least Yoyo, CJ, Gallo, Martin, and Walters had LifeWallet deals so there was certainly nothing stopping the players/Ruiz from doing them on their own

Again, I'm confused. I've never advocated for Miami to make a one-school lobbying effort. I'm pointing out how the current rules have a DISPROPORTIONATE impact on Miami.

I am saying that ALL SCHOOLS need to join together to push for more head-count scholarships and fewer equivalency scholarships. It's the right thing to do. If you want to broadcast all these sports (baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc.), then we should treat the participants equally. I KNOW that football is still watched by more people and generates a lot more money. But we don't use THAT fact to give basketball players equivalency scholarships.

We know that some sports will be more popular than others. But if SOMEONE somewhere is broadcasting it and making some money off of it, then we need to be fair to these athletes and not give "some" a full-ride and "others" a fractional equivalent.

I agree with you that this needs to happen. It's the schools themselves, particularly the smaller D1 programs, that do not want this to happen for monetary and Title IX reasons. I do think if the NCAA did move to headcount scholarships for baseball at least 20% of the D1 Baseball schools would drop baseball.

Okay. I understand Stanford being more prestigious academic wise than Miami but Wake & TCU? Could throw Duke in this convo as well.

If I read everything correctly, Miami baseball has a big disadvantage now due to cost to attend and not being highly ranked academically. Can JD over some all this or baseball destined to be average now?

Did anyone catch possible changes to be FBS yesterday? Saw something about schools having to offer 210 full scholarships I believe. Anyone know what it is now??

Okay. I understand Stanford being more prestigious academic wise than Miami but Wake & TCU? Could throw Duke in this convo as well.

If I read everything correctly, Miami baseball has a big disadvantage now due to cost to attend and not being highly ranked academically. Can JD over some all this or baseball destined to be average now?

Did anyone catch possible changes to be FBS yesterday? Saw something about schools having to offer 210 full scholarships I believe. Anyone know what it is now??

It's like what they say about how to boil a frog. You raise the temperature slowly.

The problems Miami has been facing with scholarships and money and being "worth it" have been getting a little bit worse each year.

For the record, I only included Wake and TCU because Pitcher wanted to cite the one-year example of "the 2023 CWS". My point about including the formation date, endowment, and enrollment was to show that those schools have more money, and more endowment money per student, in order to offer more scholarship money to anyone admitted. It wasn't to benchmark "the best" in academics. If that was the case, I would have included Duke, which has a $13B endowment fund (for 17K students) or Vanderbilt, which has an $11B endowment fund (for 14K students).

The bigger point is simple. Whether baseball student-athletes are willing to pony up cash to get a great degree (i.e., Duke) or the school can afford to offer more scholarship money (pretty much every school I mentioned), the impact is the same.

A baseball student-athlete, all things being equal, might have several "superior" opportunities at either private or state schools with better academics than Miami...and may NOT end up picking Miami as a result.

And while we've done a pretty good job of fighting the currents thus far, you can't keep it up forever (especially true if you've been reading the Ryan Mallett thread).

Advertisement

wake and duke are better academic schools

This research paper looks interesting

Attachments

• IMG_1182.png
    IMG_1182.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back