Canes Baseball Assistant Corch Tracker

I've heard of sports psychologists (wish Rosario had one) but never a "mental skills coach".
Seems like somebody you can go to when you’re struggling off the field or on the field but unlike a sports psychologist, they’re affiliated with the team full-time I guess and they see you every day so they can help as a confidant

Advertisement
even if you compare actual programs, stanford, UVA **** on miami. you know that too.
You’re not wrong, but that’s where we struggle with recruiting baseball players all those guys that we want from Stanford and Vandy know they can afford those in other places

I think the difference now in the mental piece is sports psych is typically a legit problem/bordering on mental health. Mental Skills is about a block, going from ok to great, getting out of your own way, or team culture. Justin Su'a is a mental skills guy. Got rolling with IMG and now I think he is with the Rays

I think the difference now in the mental piece is sports psych is typically a legit problem/bordering on mental health. Mental Skills is about a block, going from ok to great, getting out of your own way, or team culture. Justin Su'a is a mental skills guy. Got rolling with IMG and now I think he is with the Rays
He is he was interviewed with a profile on SI last year

Advertisement
Seems like somebody you can go to when you’re struggling off the field or on the field but unlike a sports psychologist, they’re affiliated with the team full-time I guess and they see you every day so they can help as a confidant
The Patriots had someone like that who was part faith based, part life coach.

So the rankings are all BS but when I look at the CWS rosters they are chock full of top recruiting classes? Hmmm. Sounds like you couldn't think of a rebuttal and decided to attack the recruiting classes without any data.

"Overcome the 11.7". What a joke." Isn't that the same as saying "We need to get the NCAA to allow headcount scholarships for all sports!" You gonna organize a sit-in? A march? Not realistic at all. You know what's reality? Three private schools in the CWS that figured it out. Title 9 is a reality. As a baseball fan I'd love to see full scholarships fir the whole team. It's just not practical to cry about it but it is practical to figure it out like so many other private schools have.

UM CHOOSES to charge a tuition that outpaces inflation and certainly outpaces the worth of a degree earned there. Factor that into your "Life is unfair" tirade.

More bull**** spewing from you.

Again, you try to obscure by summarizing things in a way that was not expressed. I could simply point out that Miami has had GREAT football recruiting classes for two decades, classes that are not evidenced by actual outcomes.

For the past TWENTY seasons, Miami has AVERAGED a Football class ranking of 13. And for those same 20 seasons, we have finished UNRANKED 13 times and ranked 7 times. And it's even worse if you remove the first 2 or 3 seasons, since the players were guys recruited during national championship game seasons.

1688052942520.png

The point is, your "class ranking" is not going to guarantee a particular outcome. We know that UM football has suffered from poor player evaluations and development. Thus, what SEEMS like talent, on paper, is not equating to results. Across MULTIPLE coaching staffs.

Thus making the point that baseball class rankings NOT being the equivelent of a well-constructed and well-developed baseball team that is capable of winning championships. And the reasons may be different. Baseball teams are smaller, and by definition, the impact of any one or two baseball players (scouting miss, bad character, me-first, doesn't develop, etc.) is more profound on team outcome than the impact of one of two football players.

Finally, I'm just going to combine your bullcrap about "private schools that figured it out" and "Miami charging tuition that outpaces inflation" together, because they are perfect illustrations of how dishonest you get in making arguments.

EVERY university charges tuition that outpaces inflation. EVERY **** ONE. There's articles. Just Google. Again, NOT MY POINT. I'm pointing out that the EXPENSES of running a university, and how that gets passed along to the student, are very different between institutions that can push some of the costs to TAXPAYERS, when compared to institutions that cannot. So there is a widening gap, which you are trying to act like is just a "choice" that UM makes on its own, different from every other university.

More importantly, it's utter insanity to act like older private schools with larger endowment funds "figured it out" for baseball. Are you ******* kidding me? Stanford has been raising money for its Endowment Fund for centuries, but it was all just a ploy to benefit a couple of dozen baseball players? The fact that I pointed out the advantages that some of the "figured it out" schools have does not mean what you think it means. And it shouldn't be that way anyhow. The NCAA is the body that should be doing things to benefit STUDENT-ATHLETES. It shouldn't be incumbent upon dozens of private institutions to repurpose a few dozen scholarships out of the Endowment Fund to make up for what the NCAA is unwilling to do.

Again...THE NCAA HAS MADE MILLIONS FOR DECADES. The NCAA is the "organizational" version of multi-millionaire coaches. They are HAPPY to rake in the millions that arise from TV deals and ticket sales and merchandising, while standing around acting like they "can't do nothin'" to help the student-athletes. Oh, but you're going to try to minimize and mock my position by acting like I'm some kind of crazy radical organizing "sit-ins".

Look, while you are being lazy and sitting around spouting empty platitudes about how we should all "overcome" the 11.7 scholarship limitation and "adapt or die", there are actual student-athletes who are filing and winning lawsuits. So, yeah, maybe that's not a "sit-in". Maybe I'm asking for the NCAA to finally get off its comparably lazy *** and GIVE BACK some of the money before they lose it all in a lawsuit.

But keep telling me how it's not "practical". You are the same type of ridiculous person who likes to tell everyone else how great the status quo is, and then you freak the **** out when you hear about kids getting million-dollar NIL deals.

None of this crap would be happening if the NCAA had just started DOING SOMETHING a couple of decades ago, instead of fighting Ed O'Bannon and every other person who just wanted a bit of pay equity.

Last edited:
I think you will see scholarships go up in baseball in the near future. It wont be full. But I could see them bumping up to 15ish maybe a touch higher.

If you go any higher then you really create a potential gap between the top tier and lower tier that is even larger.

While that's nice and all, it doesn't address the fundamental problem.

The baseball players give just as much effort as football or basketball players do. The certainly play more games that "count" in the W-L record.

They should all be on full-rides. And if that requires schools to come out-of-pocket, or do more fund-raising, so be it.

Again, you try to obscure by summarizing things in a way that was not expressed. I could simply point out that Miami has had GREAT football recruiting classes for two decades, classes that are not evidenced by actual outcomes.

For the past TWENTY seasons, Miami has AVERAGED a Football class ranking of 13. And for those same 20 seasons, we have finished UNRANKED 13 times and ranked 7 times. And it's even worse if you remove the first 2 or 3 seasons, since the players were guys recruited during national championship game seasons.

View attachment 244181

The point is, your "class ranking" is not going to guarantee a particular outcome. We know that UM football has suffered from poor player evaluations and development. Thus, what SEEMS like talent, on paper, is not equating to results. Across MULTIPLE coaching staffs.

Thus making the point that baseball class rankings NOT being the equivelent of a well-constructed and well-developed baseball team that is capable of winning championships. And the reasons may be different. Baseball teams are smaller, and by definition, the impact of any one or two baseball players (scouting miss, bad character, me-first, doesn't develop, etc.) is more profound on team outcome than the impact of one of two football players.

Finally, I'm just going to combine your bullcrap about "private schools that figured it out" and "Miami charging tuition that outpaces inflation" together, because they are perfect illustrations of how dishonest you get in making arguments.

EVERY university charges tuition that outpaces inflation. EVERY **** ONE. There's articles. Just Google. Again, NOT MY POINT. I'm pointing out that the EXPENSES of running a university, and how that gets passed along to the student, are very different between institutions that can push some of the costs to TAXPAYERS, when compared to institutions that cannot. So there is a widening gap, which you are trying to act like is just a "choice" that UM makes on its own, different from every other university.

More importantly, it's utter insanity to act like older private schools with larger endowment funds "figured it out" for baseball. Are you ******* kidding me? Stanford has been raising money for its Endowment Fund for centuries, but it was all just a ploy to benefit a couple of dozen baseball players? The fact that I pointed out the advantages that some of the "figured it out" schools have does not mean what you think it means. And it shouldn't be that way anyhow. The NCAA is the body that should be doing things to benefit STUDENT-ATHLETES. It shouldn't be incumbent upon dozens of private institutions to repurpose a few dozen scholarships out of the Endowment Fund to make up for what the NCAA is unwilling to do.

Again...THE NCAA HAS MADE MILLIONS FOR DECADES. The NCAA is the "organizational" version of multi-millionaire coaches. They are HAPPY to rake in the millions that arise from TV deals and ticket sales and merchandising, while standing around acting like they "can't do nothin'" to help the student-athletes. Oh, but you're going to try to minimize and mock my position by acting like I'm some kind of crazy radical organizing "sit-ins".

Look, while you are being lazy and sitting around spouting empty platitudes about how we should all "overcome" the 11.7 scholarship limitation and "adapt or die", there are actual student-athletes who are filing and winning lawsuits. So, yeah, maybe that's not a "sit-in". Maybe I'm asking for the NCAA to finally get off its comparably lazy *** and GIVE BACK some of the money before they lose it all in a lawsuit.

But keep telling me how it's not "practical". You are the same ridiculous person who likes to tell everyone else how great the status quo is, and then you freak the **** out when you hear about kids getting million-dollar NIL deals.

None of this crap would be happening if the NCAA had just started DOING SOMETHING a couple of decades ago, instead of fighting Ed O'Bannon and every other person who just wanted a bit of pay equity.
Yes! Because coaching matters! And UM saw fit to settle for a lot of these coaches! Dawn strikes in the rock garden…

Advertisement

View attachment 244181

But keep telling me how it's not "practical". You are the same ridiculous person who likes to tell everyone else how great the status quo is, and then you freak the **** out when you hear about kids getting million-dollar NIL deals.

I don’t freak out when a kid gets a NIL deal. I feel NCAA athletes have been taken advantage of for a long time. Sir Cyr is probably my favorite player on the Canes, but if the rumors are true and LSU or the Florida poach him for a million bucks, I’d tell him to go without a second thought.

Yes! Because coaching matters! And UM saw fit to settle for a lot of these coaches! Dawn strikes in the rock garden…

Coaching matters.

So the last few years of Gino were our ONLY PROBLEM YEARS, right?

Again, Jim Morris is a HOF coach with 2 national championships who was here for 25 years. The decline began on his watch, and not because he wasn't a good coach or he had terrible assistant coaches.

The decline has been going on for two decades due to multiple factors, including the challenges that arise from scholarship limitations and tiny paid coaching staffs.

I don’t freak out when a kid gets a NIL deal. I feel NCAA athletes have been taken advantage of for a long time. Sir Cyr is probably my favorite player on the Canes, but if the rumors are true and LSU or the Florida poach him for a million bucks, I’d tell him to go without a second thought.

Right.

So it's OK for one player to get a million dollars from NIL just to transfer.

But it's "impractical" for the NCAA to add 18-20 extra scholarships to every Division I-A FBS school's baseball team budget.

Whatever.

Advertisement
Right.

So it's OK for one player to get a million dollars from NIL just to transfer.

But it's "impractical" for the NCAA to add 18-20 extra scholarships to every Division I-A FBS school's baseball team budget.

Whatever.
Yes. Exactly. The whimper of an argument dying in the pasture.. 4 private schools in the CWS this year and it’s because the’ve had endowments for centuries lol. Yes Morris WAS a great coach, but the game passed him by. That’s the reason for the decline. The number 3 is the number that started the problem, not the number 11.7.

I am confused. Are there no boosters that can provide good NIL deals for baseball that are provided for football and basketball?

Coaching matters.

So the last few years of Gino were our ONLY PROBLEM YEARS, right?

Again, Jim Morris is a HOF coach with 2 national championships who was here for 25 years. The decline began on his watch, and not because he wasn't a good coach or he had terrible assistant coaches.

The decline has been going on for two decades due to multiple factors, including the challenges that arise from scholarship limitations and tiny paid coaching staffs.
Finally caught up to us in a big way. Almost all at once

Advertisement
Yes. Exactly. The whimper of an argument dying in the pasture.. 4 private schools in the CWS this year and it’s because the’ve had endowments for centuries lol. Yes Morris WAS a great coach, but the game passed him by. That’s the reason for the decline. The number 3 is the number that started the problem, not the number 11.7.

This is what you do. You attempt to use one data point ("CWS this year") in order to rebut a bigger picture problem.

And then you try to imply that I exaggerated the endowments as an issue.

I'll play along and address your overly simplistic "4 private schools" example.

Three of the four "private schools" were founded in the 1800s. They've been raising money for more than one century (hence the use of the plural word "centuries"), compared to Miami which is only just now getting close to its centennial.

---Wake Forest - founded 1834 - $2 billion endowment - 9,000 students
---TCU - founded 1873 - $2.5 billion endowment - 12,000 students
---Stanford - founded 1891 - $36 billion endowment - 17,000 students

---Miami - founded 1925 - $1.3 billion endowment - 19,000 students

Any questions?

As for Oral Roberts, yes, they crashed the party this year. Last time they made the College World Series? 1978. Only other time Oral Roberts made the College World Series? 1978.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back