Canes Baseball Assistant Corch Tracker

tbh, im hiring the stanford guy 10x out of 10. miami doesnt mean much on paper.

You pretty much proved my point. AND you're a Miami alum. Sad, but true. :ROFLMAO:

So I think we can all agree that there might be a VALID REASON why a non-Virginian baseball player (and his family) might choose to pay the tuitiion differential at UVa instead of picking Miami.

Amazing.

Advertisement
To people that can afford it. Miami isn’t in the same weight class as Stanford and wake or duke uva I think that’s where we fall short recruiting nationally is that those kids know they can afford those other schools
I personally spend quite a bit of time with recruiting coordinators, scouts, etc in baseball. On MANY levels. It happens very often that larger schlarships are offered to higher quality, national level, recruits who simply cannot afford to go to the school they want to go to. I am not saying these families are broke, but the numbers just dont make sense lots of the time. I've seen in state families, from lots of different state, asked to fore-go their athletic scholarship offers if their family can afford, and the student can attain academic money, or not...either way, if the family can afford it, this happens, especially if the program is after is high level national recruit and they need to put together a better package.

That's not a rebuttal. That's just a reflection that we work hard (and MOSTLY successfully) to overcome obstacles that should not be obstacles.

Eliminate the obstacles. Let's all compete equally. Let's allow Miami to devote its effort and resources towards overcoming other issues.
Still not an argument for the NCAA, regardless.

I personally spend quite a bit of time with recruiting coordinators, scouts, etc in baseball. On MANY levels. It happens very often that larger schlarships are offered to higher quality, national level, recruits who simply cannot afford to go to the school they want to go to. I am not saying these families are broke, but the numbers just dont make sense lots of the time. I've seen in state families, from lots of different state, asked to fore-go their athletic scholarship offers if their family can afford, and the student can attain academic money, or not...either way, if the family can afford it, this happens, especially if the program is after is high level national recruit and they need to put together a better package.

Very fair points. I'm just adding, that when you have an older and richer private school with a much larger endowment fund (Vandy, Duke, USC, Northwestern, Rice), it can be hard to add more "academic" money to the pot.

And that's not even counting state schools, which require a lot less money anyhow.

Your argument is well taken, but the rest of his argument I think is that there are three or four players that cost us, because of these issues that he mentioned financially.
All I am saying is that if we are in the conversation for a national seed almost every year in baseball, and we make the NCAA tournament in basketball as often as we do, and we at least make a bowl game in football, we are not going to win an argument with the NCAA...and it really doesnt matter how you spin it.

Advertisement
Still not an argument for the NCAA, regardless.

Huh? I'm talking to Miami fans right now. I've included other points in other posts about why it's the right thing for the NCAA to do.

I'm simply not sure why MIAMI FANS are arguing in favor of something that (while wrong on principle) ALSO makes Miami's job harder.

tbh, im hiring the stanford guy 10x out of 10. miami doesnt mean much on paper.
I hear you but I find how we view elite schools to be a bit silly seemingly based on alumni connections and networking, with a distant third being the actual programs.

Very fair points. I'm just adding, that when you have an older and richer private school with a much larger endowment fund (Vandy, Duke, USC, Northwestern, Rice), it can be hard to add more "academic" money to the pot.

And that's not even counting state schools, which require a lot less money anyhow.
Also, we cannot forget NIL...this brings an entirely different conversation.

All I am saying is that if we are in the conversation for a national seed almost every year in baseball, and we make the NCAA tournament in basketball as often as we do, and we at least make a bowl game in football, we are not going to win an argument with the NCAA...and it really doesnt matter how you spin it.

Again, I'm confused. I've never advocated for Miami to make a one-school lobbying effort. I'm pointing out how the current rules have a DISPROPORTIONATE impact on Miami.

I am saying that ALL SCHOOLS need to join together to push for more head-count scholarships and fewer equivalency scholarships. It's the right thing to do. If you want to broadcast all these sports (baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc.), then we should treat the participants equally. I KNOW that football is still watched by more people and generates a lot more money. But we don't use THAT fact to give basketball players equivalency scholarships.

We know that some sports will be more popular than others. But if SOMEONE somewhere is broadcasting it and making some money off of it, then we need to be fair to these athletes and not give "some" a full-ride and "others" a fractional equivalent.

Advertisement
Again, I'm confused. I've never advocated for Miami to make a one-school lobbying effort. I'm pointing out how the current rules have a DISPROPORTIONATE impact on Miami.

I am saying that ALL SCHOOLS need to join together to push for more head-count scholarships and fewer equivalency scholarships. It's the right thing to do. If you want to broadcast all these sports (baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc.), then we should treat the participants equally. I KNOW that football is still watched by more people and generates a lot more money. But we don't use THAT fact to give basketball players equivalency scholarships.

We know that some sports will be more popular than others. But if SOMEONE somewhere is broadcasting it and making some money off of it, then we need to be fair to these athletes and not give "some" a full-ride and "others" a fractional equivalent.
No doubt if we’re gonna laud the viewership that the college World Series gets on social media then let’s make it a sport equitable for all schools

Sure. Empty platitudes fix everything. "Adapt or die".

Of course, one of the ways we could "adapt" is to make the superior argument for moving to head-count scholarships across all sports. Would we need to raise money to endow them? Sure.

But the NCAA is already increasing the distance between the "haves" and "have-nots" with the new rule that came out yesterday. The NCAA has gotten fat from the profit on low-cost student-athlete labor, and it's time to give back some of the largess. Head-count scholarships for all sports. It's the right thing to do.

"Overcome the 11.7". What a joke.
So the rankings are all BS but when I look at the CWS rosters they are chock full of top recruiting classes? Hmmm. Sounds like you couldn't think of a rebuttal and decided to attack the recruiting classes without any data.

"Overcome the 11.7". What a joke." Isn't that the same as saying "We need to get the NCAA to allow headcount scholarships for all sports!" You gonna organize a sit-in? A march? Not realistic at all. You know what's reality? The four (50% of the field) private schools in the CWS that figured it out. Title 9 is a reality. As a baseball fan I'd love to see full scholarships fir the whole team. It's just not practical to cry about it but it is practical to figure it out like so many other private schools have.

UM CHOOSES to charge a tuition that outpaces inflation and certainly outpaces the worth of a degree earned there. Factor that into your "Life is unfair" tirade.

Also, we cannot forget NIL...this brings an entirely different conversation.

NIL should not be "backdoor tuition remission". NIL should be compensating student-athletes for their N's and I's and L's.

Autograph signings.

Replica jerseys.

Likenesses used in video games.

You know, a whole ****-ton of real-life situations where "businessmen" made tons of money over the years and the student-athletes made NOTHING.

NIL should not be some end-run around antiquated rules set up by the NCAA because they were addicted to free labor.

Student-athletess should be getting FULL scholarship packages FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION in sports.

And student-athletes should ALSO be getting compensated for a whole range of off-field activities on which others have made money for decades.

I think you will see scholarships go up in baseball in the near future. It wont be full. But I could see them bumping up to 15ish maybe a touch higher.

If you go any higher then you really create a potential gap between the top tier and lower tier that is even larger.

Advertisement
Negative. He wasn’t even the pitching coach there the following year in 2008:
player name job age pos ht wt ba th born place hilvl mlb years stat years draft info total jobs
Gary DiSarcina Manager 40 ss 6-2 194 R R 1967-11-19 Malden,MA MLB 1990-2000 1986-2002
1988- 6- 143-CAL
Luis Lopez Hitting Coach 37 ss-2b 5-11 166 B R 1970-09-04 Cidra,PR MLB 1993-2005 1988-2005
1987- UDFA-SDN
Walter Miranda Pitching Coach 33 p 6-4 190 R R 1975-01-06 Cartagena,CB A+ -- 1994-1997
--
Tom Goodwin Assistant Coach 39 cf-lf 6-1 175
Yeah I think you’re right on that. But here’s a bio that says he was their pitching coach in 2007 and 2010.

1688052004894.jpeg

NIL should not be "backdoor tuition remission". NIL should be compensating student-athletes for their N's and I's and L's.

Autograph signings.

Replica jerseys.

Likenesses used in video games.

You know, a whole ****-ton of real-life situations where "businessmen" made tons of money over the years and the student-athletes made NOTHING.

NIL should not be some end-run around antiquated rules set up by the NCAA because they were addicted to free labor.

Student-athletess should be getting FULL scholarship packages FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION in sports.

And student-athletes should ALSO be getting compensated for a whole range of off-field activities on which others have made money for decades.
Totally agree with all of this.

Yeah I think you’re right on that. But here’s a bio that says he was their pitching coach in 2007 and 2010.

View attachment 244179

His bio reads confusing. I’m guessing he switched roles within the organization a lot coaching to scouting than player, development and mental skills

Advertisement
Huh? I'm talking to Miami fans right now. I've included other points in other posts about why it's the right thing for the NCAA to do.

I'm simply not sure why MIAMI FANS are arguing in favor of something that (while wrong on principle) ALSO makes Miami's job harder.
I guess I was referring to your comment that the NCAA should allow D-I to go to full headcount scholarships

That's never going to happen, the NIL **** has already gotten way out of hand.

I was always the guy that said, hey if you sign a NIL deal you should lose your scholarship in general. Regardless of how much it was for. And that money should go to someone who needs it. So I agree with you, essentially.

But what your talking about...yeah, not happening.

View attachment 244179

I've heard of sports psychologists (wish Rosario had one) but never a "mental skills coach".

You pretty much proved my point. AND you're a Miami alum. Sad, but true. :ROFLMAO:

So I think we can all agree that there might be a VALID REASON why a non-Virginian baseball player (and his family) might choose to pay the tuitiion differential at UVa instead of picking Miami.

Amazing.
oh i agree w you completely.

Advertisement
Back