Canes Baseball Assistant Corch Tracker

He was in short season A ball in 2007. That means he was a minor league pitching coach for all of two and a half months.
According to his profile, he was their minor league pitching coach from 2007 to 2013.

1688048722608.jpeg

Advertisement
According to his profile, he was their minor league pitching coach from 2007 to 2013.

View attachment 244170
Negative. He wasn’t even the pitching coach there the following year in 2008:
player name job age pos ht wt ba th born place hilvl mlb years stat years draft info total jobs
Gary DiSarcina Manager 40 ss 6-2 194 R R 1967-11-19 Malden,MA MLB 1990-2000 1986-2002
1988- 6- 143-CAL
Luis Lopez Hitting Coach 37 ss-2b 5-11 166 B R 1970-09-04 Cidra,PR MLB 1993-2005 1988-2005
1987- UDFA-SDN
Walter Miranda Pitching Coach 33 p 6-4 190 R R 1975-01-06 Cartagena,CB A+ -- 1994-1997
--
Tom Goodwin Assistant Coach 39 cf-lf 6-1 175

Have to ask. Doesn't all limitations for scholarships etc. apply to Stanford, TCU & Wake as well??
To me, if you’re going to make the argument that we should recruit more kids targeting those schools you’re right. However, I don’t see enough conversation on the reality that parents may not see the same educational value at Miami than at those schools.

Advertisement
To me, if you’re going to make the argument that we should recruit more kids targeting those schools you’re right. However, I don’t see enough conversation on the reality that parents may not see the same educational value at Miami than at those schools.
wake and stanford are far better education wise and there isnt an argument there. UM is overpriced for what it is.

Advertisement
Once again, if it’s so hard to recruit players here, why do they reel in top 10 and even top 5 recruiting classes year after year? Both can’t be true.
Losing guys to the draft? Every single program in the top draft classes loses guys to the draft, state or private school. Corbin spent the better part of a week down here recruiting George Lombard and he’s almost certainly going pro. Ditto for Max Clark and Tommy White. It’s the cost of doing business.
As Wander pointed out, public schools like UVA have very high out-of-state tuition and many out of state players.
Remember, UM chooses to keep raising tuition faster than the pace of inflation. That is part of a larger issue that is best suited for an off-topic post .

All due respect, everything you say is bull****.

First, I'm not just talking about what the "official" class ranking is. "Top 10" and "Top 5" mean nothing to me. I wipe my *** with those "accolades" in baseball. We've had plenty of posters write plenty of stuff about how the individual ratings are suspect, and that's before you even get into the concept of building a team, and not just assembling a couple dozen INDIVIDUAL guys with "high ratings". I've said it before, and I'll repeat it. If you are not getting all the guys YOU WANT, then it doesn't matter what they were rated.

Yes, two different things can be true. It is hard to recruit guys to Miami BECAUSE OF the tuition differential. And the effort and scouting and funding required to overcome that differential would be a challenge that we don't have to fight as hard if you just had equitable scholarship rules.

To be honest, I have no clue why you are such a stubborn buffoon on this issue. What is so special about baseball? Do we get a merit badge for "fighting harder to overcome tuition differential"? These student-athletes put in comparable year-round prep time and competition time, there is no reason why baseball players shouldn't be getting the same treatment as football and basketball players. And once you ELIMINATE the tuition-differential as an issue, you can focus on OTHER issues to overcome, such as the tiny PAID staff afforded to baseball compared to football.

As far as "every single program loses guys to the draft", that is bull****. Flat out bull****. It impacts some schools way more than others, not just in one year, but for decades. That's a stone-cold fact.

I'm not even going to dignify the rest of your garbage, because you are INTENTIONALLY trying to mislead people. Ooooh, "UVA has very high out-of-state tuition". First of all, UVa is a **** good academic school that might warrant the value of paying more in tuition. ****, we have actual UM grads who come onto this site to talk about how the value of a UM degree isn't worth the current cost of attendance. The state of Virginia allows each school to set their out-of-state tuition rates, and UVa is by far the highest. But if you just picked ANOTHER school in Virginia that is in the ACC, you'd see that VaTech's OOS tuition cost is HALF that of of UVa.

To move on, I didn't try to compare Florida schools to Virginia schools, so let's stick to my argument. The University of Flagship, which is a "top 5 state university" (according to them, though I think it is statistically proveable), is a school that just played in the College World Series finale. Hey, what does it cost an OOS kid to go to Florida?

1688049910761.png

How about Miami?

1688049968783.png

Again, if you recruit a NON-FLORIDIAN, the tuition is DOUBLE at Miami and the living expenses are 50% higher than in Hogtown. Which is meaningful when you only get a 25-30% equivalency scholarship.

And if you recruit a FLORIDIAN, the tuition at Miami is NINE TIMES what it is at Florida. NINE TIMES, MRS. BUELLER.

1688050225329.png

1688050239738.png

Please just stop ******* around and trying to cite "UVa" as a comparable.

The numbers are real. The problems are real.

The NCAA needs to allow Division I-A baseball to go to headcount scholarships. Period. Full stop.

We won 42 games this year. Our classes are fine. Sure it would be great to get 1-2 more big arms (a targeted NIL/scholarship/academic, whatever) but development and better baseball IQ(tough to get from Pg all stars if you don’t work on it) Are bigger needs. throw in our talk of analytics/data and biomechanics. Find some needy students to help with data tracking.

What we need is guys like Rosario to progress year to year. We have another class coming in that is just fine even if 1-2 are casualties of the draft. We need Ligon and Ziehl to take that next step where every Friday/Saturday they give us 6-7 and a chance to win even when they are grinding.

We don’t even look the part…and I don’t mean 6’5 225. I mean we have a bunch of 5’9-‘5’11 kids who still look like High schoolers who eat pop tarts and Raman. We don’t have to look like a bball team but if you go for those types get them in shape. Our team make up we should be able to run and crest some havoc. But we have kids coming out of there shows 0-2 and down 4 runs late in games with no one on.

Have to ask. Doesn't all limitations for scholarships etc. apply to Stanford, TCU & Wake as well??

When you have two applicants for a job, one with a Stanford degree, and one with a Miami degree, do you see equivalency?

Because most people don't.

And most people would not voluntarily pay the same amounts at Miami than they would pay at Stanford.

I have a very good friend, grew up in Florida, he was a basketball recruit at Miami, but chose to go elsewhere. Started somewhere else, and eventually transferred to UCF, where he got his undergrad diploma. Very high-level tax guy, had an employer who paid for him to get his MBA at UC-Berkeley.

He absolutely wants his daughter to go to Stanford. He'll pay, he doesn't care. But he's not sending her to UM or UCF, where she would probably have a full-ride.

Advertisement
We won 42 games this year. Our classes are fine. Sure it would be great to get 1-2 more big arms (a targeted NIL/scholarship/academic, whatever) but development and better baseball IQ(tough to get from Pg all stars if you don’t work on it) Are bigger needs. throw in our talk of analytics/data and biomechanics. Find some needy students to help with data tracking.

What we need is guys like Rosario to progress year to year. We have another class coming in that is just fine even if 1-2 are casualties of the draft. We need Ligon and Ziehl to take that next step where every Friday/Saturday they give us 6-7 and a chance to win even when they are grinding.

We don’t even look the part…and I don’t mean 6’5 225. I mean we have a bunch of 5’9-‘5’11 kids who still look like High schoolers who eat pop tarts and Raman. We don’t have to look like a bball team but if you go for those types get them in shape. Our team make up we should be able to run and crest some havoc. But we have kids coming out of there shows 0-2 and down 4 runs late in games with no one on.
I would add to this we gotta get more out of a recruiting visits we have to know the kids better and see what they’re about and we also have to be much more charismatic during the visits and Direct about what we offer

When you have two applicants for a job, one with a Stanford degree, and one with a Miami degree, do you see equivalency?

And most people would not voluntarily pay the same amounts at Miami than they would pay at Stanford.

I have a very good friend, grew up in Florida, he was a basketball recruit at Miami, but chose to go elsewhere. Started somewhere else, and eventually transferred to UCF, where he got his undergrad diploma. Very high-level tax guy, had an employer who paid for him to get his MBA at UC-Berkeley.

He absolutely wants his daughter to go to Stanford. He'll pay, he doesn't care. But he's not sending her to UM or UCF, where she would probably have a full-ride.
To people that can afford it. Miami isn’t in the same weight class as Stanford and wake or duke uva I think that’s where we fall short recruiting nationally is that those kids know they can afford those other schools

All due respect, everything you say is bull****.

First, I'm not just talking about what the "official" class ranking is. "Top 10" and "Top 5" mean nothing to me. I wipe my *** with those "accolades" in baseball. We've had plenty of posters write plenty of stuff about how the individual ratings are suspect, and that's before you even get into the concept of building a team, and not just assembling a couple dozen INDIVIDUAL guys with "high ratings". I've said it before, and I'll repeat it. If you are not getting all the guys YOU WANT, then it doesn't matter what they were rated.

Yes, two different things can be true. It is hard to recruit guys to Miami BECAUSE OF the tuition differential. And the effort and scouting and funding required to overcome that differential would be a challenge that we don't have to fight as hard if you just had equitable scholarship rules.

To be honest, I have no clue why you are such a stubborn buffoon on this issue. What is so special about baseball? Do we get a merit badge for "fighting harder to overcome tuition differential"? These student-athletes put in comparable year-round prep time and competition time, there is no reason why baseball players shouldn't be getting the same treatment as football and basketball players. And once you ELIMINATE the tuition-differential as an issue, you can focus on OTHER issues to overcome, such as the tiny PAID staff afforded to baseball compared to football.

As far as "every single program loses guys to the draft", that is bull****. Flat out bull****. It impacts some schools way more than others, not just in one year, but for decades. That's a stone-cold fact.

I'm not even going to dignify the rest of your garbage, because you are INTENTIONALLY trying to mislead people. Ooooh, "UVA has very high out-of-state tuition". First of all, UVa is a **** good academic school that might warrant the value of paying more in tuition. ****, we have actual UM grads who come onto this site to talk about how the value of a UM degree isn't worth the current cost of attendance. The state of Virginia allows each school to set their out-of-state tuition rates, and UVa is by far the highest. But if you just picked ANOTHER school in Virginia that is in the ACC, you'd see that VaTech's OOS tuition cost is HALF that of of UVa.

To move on, I didn't try to compare Florida schools to Virginia schools, so let's stick to my argument. The University of Flagship, which is a "top 5 state university" (according to them, though I think it is statistically proveable), is a school that just played in the College World Series finale. Hey, what does it cost an OOS kid to go to Florida?

View attachment 244174

How about Miami?

View attachment 244175

Again, if you recruit a NON-FLORIDIAN, the tuition is DOUBLE at Miami and the living expenses are 50% higher than in Hogtown. Which is meaningful when you only get a 25-30% equivalency scholarship.

And if you recruit a FLORIDIAN, the tuition at Miami is NINE TIMES what it is at Florida. NINE TIMES, MRS. BUELLER.

View attachment 244176
View attachment 244177

Please just stop ******* around and trying to cite "UVa" as a comparable.

The numbers are real. The problems are real.

The NCAA needs to allow Division I-A baseball to go to headcount scholarships. Period. Full stop.
The biggest rebuttal even with all of that you posted, is that we STILL compete for a national seed almost every year in baseball. Choking once we get there is NOT, however a good argument for the NCAA.

Advertisement
Bottom line: if it’s too hard to adapt and overcome the 11.7 and to integrate NIL into your recruiting process, then just axe the team and get a men’s soccer team. Adapt or die.

Sure. Empty platitudes fix everything. "Adapt or die".

Of course, one of the ways we could "adapt" is to make the superior argument for moving to head-count scholarships across all sports. Would we need to raise money to endow them? Sure.

But the NCAA is already increasing the distance between the "haves" and "have-nots" with the new rule that came out yesterday. The NCAA has gotten fat from the profit on low-cost student-athlete labor, and it's time to give back some of the largess. Head-count scholarships for all sports. It's the right thing to do.

"Overcome the 11.7". What a joke.

tbh, im hiring the stanford guy 10x out of 10. miami doesnt mean much on paper.

The biggest rebuttal even with all of that you posted, is that we STILL compete for a national seed almost every year in baseball. Choking once we get there is NOT, however a good argument for the NCAA.
Your argument is well taken, but the rest of his argument I think is that there are three or four players that cost us, because of these issues that he mentioned financially.

That's not a rebuttal. That's just a reflection that we work hard (and MOSTLY successfully) to overcome obstacles that should not be obstacles.

Eliminate the obstacles. Let's all compete equally. Let's allow Miami to devote its effort and resources towards overcoming other issues.

Advertisement
Back