Canes Baseball Assistant Corch Tracker

Wander Franco suggests a national recruiting strategy
canessteve: "trying a national footprint I don’t think is the answer"

Ibisuponatime suggests a national recruiting strategy
canessteve: "Agree!"

Advertisement
Back in the early 2000s I think, Miami had a black centerfielder. The ESPN guys were discussing the lack of black college baseball players during the game. The pointed out that the cenrfielder was on an academic scholarship for engineering. Many schools now give out academic scholarships but few are able to guarantee full cost of attendance.

Will be on staff
Will be a disaster imo.

I grew up playing with Nick Rodriguez and played against him in college. Laz's assistant coach and recruiting coordinator...

He likes him as a guy but I haven't heard the greatest things about him as a coach and how he runs a program - in comparison to what Nick saw where he played at D2 (former powerhouse) Tusculum.

I will hedge that with 1. these are thoughts on him as a head coach and that won't be his role here 2. he does have a decent amount of major/minor league experience. He's got the resume for the job.

So we’re just a hard-working staff away from Dylan, Cruz, and Tommy white? That’s what you’re implying when you speak on the roster
LSU gets those guys because they have coaches the players think will make them better and that will they have a chance to win in the postseason. They've also been ahead of the curve with NIL deals. They are also developed when they get there. UM represents none off those things.

Advertisement
Will be a disaster imo.

I grew up playing with Nick Rodriguez and played against him in college. Laz's assistant coach and recruiting coordinator...

He likes him as a guy but I haven't heard the greatest things about him as a coach and how he runs a program - in comparison to what Nick saw where he played at D2 (former powerhouse) Tusculum.

I will hedge that with 1. these are thoughts on him as a head coach and that won't be his role here 2. he does have a decent amount of major/minor league experience. He's got the resume for the job.

Also, his role with the Red Sox had nothing to do with baseball. He was their mental health guy. I'm all about mental health resources, so I am not looking down on his role, but he didn't develop baseball skills.

Also, his role with the Red Sox had nothing to do with baseball. He was their mental health guy. I'm all about mental health resources, so I am not looking down on his role, but he didn't develop baseball skills.
I think it was slightly different than mental health.. that wasn't really a "thing" when he was with the Red Sox. More like leadership, culture, growth, focus, etc.

Definitely important stuff but no he wasn't coaching pitching or being a therapist.

That could be an asset to the coaching staff but idk if it's worth the pitching coach spot on staff. But he did it for their short season A ball team.

Not the guy I would hire but I don't know a ton about his coaching philosophy and what he believes in terms of sports science, data, etc. because there's not much of that going on at the D2 level anyway and it wasn't popular in the MLB when he was there. He would have to be venturing in that on his own and I doubt that's the case. So hiring him completely defies everything JD said in his presser - which would also not surprise me the least bit.

I think it was slightly different than mental health.. that wasn't really a "thing" when he was with the Red Sox. More like leadership, culture, growth, focus, etc.

Definitely important stuff but no he wasn't coaching pitching or being a therapist.

That could be an asset to the coaching staff but idk if it's worth the pitching coach spot on staff. But he did it for their short season A ball team.

Not the guy I would hire but I don't know a ton about his coaching philosophy and what he believes in terms of sports science, data, etc. because there's not much of that going on at the D2 level anyway and it wasn't popular in the MLB when he was there. He would have to be venturing in that on his own and I doubt that's the case. So hiring him completely defies everything JD said in his presser - which would also not surprise me the least bit.
It was it wasn’t leader ship it was more like mental preparation for like competition

I agreed that we had to remake the approach, but I don’t know that we appeal to anybody right now

Advertisement

Not disagreeing, but my buddy who played for the Sox just last night referred to Laz as the "mental health guy". :ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg:

Comforting Big Hero 6 GIF by Sky

Advertisement
Can we all agree none of our "how to fix baseball" is gonna happen without a big infusion of $$$$. We aren't going to have the Vandy scholly fund system, so recruiting kids without having them pay tuition is going to take NIL money... Facility improvements will take $$$.. Recruiting budget to fly where ever / when ever is going to take $$$.. I'm looking at it like football, so not sure if it's allowed in college baseball, but since there's a limit to on field coaches, can we have a huge staff of Analyst??? that will take money... a whole recruiting staff that scours HS, Juco, and portal....

Until the school takes baseball serious and puts the money behind it, we are playing catch up and frankly playing the game 20years behind everyone else.. IMO...

We need Laz Collazo back on staff. Currently pitching coach at USF. The felony charge (which was dropped to a misdemeanor is old news). I want him.

Back in the early 2000s I think, Miami had a black centerfielder. The ESPN guys were discussing the lack of black college baseball players during the game. The pointed out that the cenrfielder was on an academic scholarship for engineering. Many schools now give out academic scholarships but few are able to guarantee full cost of attendance.
Brian Barton. He was aerospace engineering. A real cool dude, would always see him around in the ENG building and computer labs

Advertisement
We need Laz Collazo back on staff. Currently pitching coach at USF. The felony charge (which was dropped to a misdemeanor is old news). I want him.
He hasn’t been the USF pitching coach in 13 years. He’s the head coach of a local Dade High School. There’s a reason he’s been fired from everywhere he’s worked and why he’s drives for Uber Eats now.

He hasn’t been the USF pitching coach in 13 years. He’s the head coach of a local Dade High School. There’s a reason he’s been fired from everywhere he’s worked and why he’s drives for Uber Eats now.
JD, Lazer, Turtle, Lovelady... I can smell the 1999/2001 magic in the air.

Someone check and see if Larry Coker wants to take over as OC and if Sarge/Kehoe will come with him. Might as well bring the whole band back together.

Someone check and see if Larry Coker wants to take over as OC and if Sarge/Kehoe will come with him. Might as well bring the whole band back together.

In all seriousness, this staff will be a lot younger

People forget UM baseball went on 2 years of probation for his actions here. Now he wants him back? Man, people really get caught up in the comfort of name recognition.

Advertisement
Back