Canes back in the mix for 5-star DT Taylor

View as article
Advertisement
High upside interior pass rushers are - outside of quarterback - the most premium, limited position in football. Big men that move well enough and have a premium athletic profile and have the technique to rush the QB are a huge commodity in college and the NFL. Other than QB, these should be prioritized to the top of your board every year.

So, yeah...Leonard Taylor is about as high a priority as you get. The fact that he's right down the road and is surrounded by 'Canes would make it a pretty big miss. Couple the fact that we're in the middle of a pandemic and he can't take the usual visits (as of this post) to sell him on going elsewhere...gotta close on this man.

Ultimately it will all come down to how well we can sell him on playing time.

If we're not halfway retarded, we should be able to convince him that he can play early & often on this DLine at any spot he wants. All we have to do is show him the success we've had in building a strong DL & he can come be apart of that.

That's the most important factor.
To me, this one is a no brainer. He would feast in this defense and play early. If we look good on the field, I can’t see him leaving. He seems to be a Miami guy. Get it done!

Ultimately it will all come down to how well we can sell him on playing time.

If we're not halfway retarded, we should be able to convince him that he can play early & often on this DLine at any spot he wants. All we have to do is show him the success we've had in building a strong DL & he can come be apart of that.

That's the most important factor.

Yep, we lead by a good margin. Just don’t lay a **** and it’ll take care of itself.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let's say we don't lay an egg, where does Taylor rank vs years prior DT's?

The kid is 6’4 260 and moves like a 225 pound de. He’s long and has unreal growth potential. Very fluid , I can’t think of a kid with his length, weight and natural athletic ability. He’ll carry 280-290 with ease and not look like it.

We haven’t landed anyone like this in awhile. I honestly can’t think of a dt with his length , frame , quick twitch and size that we’ve landed inside. He’s athletic enough to play outside early on if need be. He’d be a huge pickup.

@Liberty City El What say you.

Anyone have any athletic testing #s for Taylor or did he not camp/test

Advertisement
It's called Tommy Streeter Performance gym in Cutler Bay.

Taylor works out there almost everyday with TS & Coach Pat Cooney.
U wanna see a funny reaction u should see how many people mix pj and pop all the time they will come to the gym and be like look at my son he would be great at um and pj just has a blank face. But yeah taylor has been coming there for like 3 weeks I would say

At the very top imo. But I’m not a professional talent evaluator.
WHAT is this pinko beta simp NONSENSE?

You’ve been on CIS since August 27th, 2016. Therefore you know more about sports and politics and religion and most certainly defensive lineman than everyone in America. You yield only to people who have been on CIS since or prior to August 26th, 2016.

Act like it.

WHAT is this pinko beta simp NONSENSE?

You’ve been on CIS since August 27th, 2016. Therefore you know more about sports and politics and religion and most certainly defensive lineman than everyone in America. You yield only to people who have been on CIS since or prior to August 26th, 2016.

Act like it.
Dude. You left out quantum physics and Polynesian gang culture.

Advertisement
When I first posted we were in it for Taylor more than most think, I mentioned cooney as a big reason why. Even though at that time ivins and all the pay sites said he was a gator lean, and would keep his cb on UF. Now suddenly everyone says we in it or lead lol. How rich.

For the record, the Rivals article from today says that they still think he's a Gator lean and that Miami has work to do.

"RIVALS REACTION: Officially, this is a Gators-vs-Hurricanes battle. Unofficially, Taylor seems to be a Florida lean at the very least. The Hurricanes have some ground to make up and could do so with a strong season this fall. Until then, however, UF has to be treated as the odds-on favorite to land the Rivals250 prospect."

Let's get after it.

The kid is 6’4 260 and moves like a 225 pound de. He’s long and has unreal growth potential. Very fluid , I can’t think of a kid with his length, weight and natural athletic ability. He’ll carry 280-290 with ease and not look like it.

We haven’t landed anyone like this in awhile. I honestly can’t think of a dt with his length , frame , quick twitch and size that we’ve landed inside. He’s athletic enough to play outside early on if need be. He’d be a huge pickup.

@Liberty City El What say you.
He actually reminds me of Elijah Roberts, he has that same versatility in being able to play inside 3-tech or outside 5-tech/DE.

His arm length is special, he's got a great swim move & glides through OL's like he's ice skating, has terrific footwork as an interior lineman. His outside hands technique is very good, but needs to work on his inside hands moves, has to get better with inside rip technique, but given that he's a Martial artist he has the traits to learn & understand how to disengage & shed blocks. Plays too high as well, because he's a taller lineman he tends to run straight up at OL's & because of his quick footwork he can usually beat them, he'll learn in college that low man wins & running straight at a RG/LG will get him put on his ***.

His upside is sky high though, he definitely has NFL upside & would be the highest ranked DL we've had since Chad Thomas if we signed him.

Needs to add weight & get stronger though, he's got a long lean atheltic frame & has to get more upper body tone, but a few months in the S&C would transform that pretty quickly.

No doubt a big time get if we don't fck it up.

Advertisement
He actually reminds me of Elijah Roberts, he has that same versatility in being able to play inside 3-tech or outside 5-tech/DE.

His arm length is special, he's got a great swim move & glides through OL's like he's ice skating, has terrific footwork as an interior lineman. His outside hands technique is very good, but needs to work on his inside hands moves, has to get better with inside rip technique, but given that he's a Martial artist he has the traits to learn & understand how to disengage & shed blocks. Plays too high as well, because he's a taller lineman he tends to run straight up at OL's & because of his quick footwork he can usually beat them, he'll learn in college that low man wins & running straight at a RG/LG will get him put on his ***.

His upside is sky high though, he definitely has NFL upside & would be the highest ranked DL we've had since Chad Thomas if we signed him.

Needs to add weight & get stronger though, he's got a long lean atheltic frame & has to get more upper body tone, but a few months in the S&C would transform that pretty quickly.

No doubt a big time get if we don't fck it up.

Funny you mention Roberts because he crossed my mind , and I’m the biggest Roberts fan on here. I think that’s a pretty good comparison , I think Taylor is twitchier, quicker and has a longer frame but Roberts is way stronger.

When I first posted we were in it for Taylor more than most think, I mentioned cooney as a big reason why. Even though at that time ivins and all the pay sites said he was a gator lean, and would keep his cb on UF. Now suddenly everyone says we in it or lead lol. How rich.
Ivins still 5 steps behind you big dawg. He's only talking about Miami "starting to make up ground" and **** like that.

Funny you mention Roberts because he crossed my mind , and I’m the biggest Roberts fan on here. I think that’s a pretty good comparison , I think Taylor is twitchier, quicker and has a longer frame but Roberts is way stronger.
And to have in back to back classes? Yo.....

Advertisement
Back