rok

Great Poster
Joe's 100th anniversary

1-MAHAMMAD-ALI-UM-TEAM.jpg

9-WILLISBERNIEMAHAMMASKEN.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
And he is standing next to The Man. I know he is old there but still. Ali was not little. Can't believe I got to watch him on Miami Beach as a kid. Going up in Miami was such a blast.
Word. I was born and raised 1 block from Joe's on Biscayne St. Boxed as a kid for the PAL. Trained in the 5th street Gym. Ali was always there. Had the beach, the Pier and parks to play in all around us. Played football for Miami Beach Optimist at Flamingo park. We surfed. skateboarded and fished as much as we wanted. Ran the streets back when the streets looked out for you. I'm blessed to have grown up in the paradise we called South Beach before it became the **** hole it is today. RIP Champ! RIP ST!

Go Canes!!!!

Word. I was born and raised 1 block from Joe's on Biscayne St. Boxed as a kid for the PAL. Trained in the 5th street Gym. Ali was always there. Had the beach, the Pier and parks to play in all around us. Played football for Miami Beach Optimist at Flamingo park. We surfed. skateboarded and fished as much as we wanted. Ran the streets back when the streets looked out for you. I'm blessed to have grown up in the paradise we called South Beach before it became the **** hole it is today. RIP Champ! RIP ST!

Go Canes!!!!
Amen to all this. I was not an Ali fan at first, but when did not dodge the draft and when to jail for what he believed I became huge fan. Still disagreed with his belief but defend his right always. I spent fortune to bring a crew to his last fight as my way of saying thanks for the memories. I always felt like he was Cane material. Stay safe my fellow old time Miami guy and Cane brother.

I have no doubts that the Miami Beach of the 50s / 60s was great and in many ways superior to today's.

However, the area south of 5th is really nice, especially with South Pointe Park, new boardwalk, beachwalks, bike paths, fitness areas.

Sure the charm and sleepiness is long gone, and the element that it attracts isn't always desirable, but South Beach is much better now than in it was the 70s and 80s.

I'm always jealous of the old timers who experienced Miami before the Cubans came and the place blew up.

I have no doubts that the Miami Beach of the 50s / 60s was great and in many ways superior to today's.

However, the area south of 5th is really nice, especially with South Pointe Park, new boardwalk, beachwalks, bike paths, fitness areas.

Sure the charm and sleepiness is long gone, and the element that it attracts isn't always desirable, but South Beach is much better now than in it was the 70s and 80s.

I'm always jealous of the old timers who experienced Miami before the Cubans came and the place blew up.

The Mariel boat lift was the death nail.

Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
And he is standing next to The Man. I know he is old there but still. Ali was not little. Can't believe I got to watch him on Miami Beach as a kid. Going up in Miami was such a blast.
You grew up on the Beach? Me too.

My family moved from NY to the Beach in the 1940’s. My grandparents and great grandparents were very prominent and well known. I have many stories I can share, most privately, but it was a completely different day there.

Advertisement

Go Canes!!!!
You boxed with Elvis Yero (RIP), played for Coach Newton at Flamingo?

You grew up on the Beach? Me too.
Grew up in North Dade but spent lots of time on the Beach. Downtown, Miami Beach, Coral Gables where places you went to often. Back then lot less traffic and things to do were more focused in those places. No A/C so you were out of the house all day looking for things to do. Lot safer than today.

I attended the U in the late 50's/early 60's. I was raised in Jax and use to homes made of red brick or white wood and upon arriving in Miami was astonished to see blue, pink, green, etc. colored homes and beautiful tropical plants like the royal poincianas and bouganvillas - wow, what a paradise. My only disappointment was the lack of open beach areas by the hotels as they all had barricades down to the surf in front of the hotels and you had to rent a cabana to have access to the beach. So, we went to Crandon Park. I think it was later determined that the beach was a state road and the barricades had to be removed. Joe's Stone Crab was the place to eat 'cause if it was good enough for the Mafia, it was good enough for me. They only had male waiters, but were later sued for gender discrimination which we didn't know anything about in the 50's. The Fontainebleau always had the best celebrity shows. I
saw Sinatra & the entire Rat Pack there & sat next to Pat Boone & his wife. Yes, Miami in the 50's was a paradise and I still miss it as I had some of the best times in my life there.

Advertisement
Back