@caneinorlando were you there?

Advertisement
I attended the U in the late 50's/early 60's. I was raised in Jax and use to homes made of red brick or white wood and upon arriving in Miami was astonished to see blue, pink, green, etc. colored homes and beautiful tropical plants like the royal poincianas and bouganvillas - wow, what a paradise. My only disappointment was the lack of open beach areas by the hotels as they all had barricades down to the surf in front of the hotels and you had to rent a cabana to have access to the beach. So, we went to Crandon Park. I think it was later determined that the beach was a state road and the barricades had to be removed. Joe's Stone Crab was the place to eat 'cause if it was good enough for the Mafia, it was good enough for me. They only had male waiters, but were later sued for gender discrimination which we didn't know anything about in the 50's. The Fontainebleau always had the best celebrity shows. I
saw Sinatra & the entire Rat Pack there & sat next to Pat Boone & his wife. Yes, Miami in the 50's was a paradise and I still miss it as I had some of the best times in my life there.
Yes it was. That was before I 95 made it easier for all those yankees to come and A/C made it possible for them to stay. It was the liveliest sleepy city in the world. The shows on the Beach were great and I remember them being affordable not cheap but reachable.

Advertisement
Back