Cane OL vs DL practice 3/12/22

Advertisement
Oluwaseun (70) looks like a starter/contributor to me - between size & drill quicks at POA. Good to see Rivers out there. Is Traore a guy that just looks pretty good in drills, or can he put it together on the field? Rodriguez looks the part, but looks SMALL, and if Seymore's 315, as listed, I'd be shocked. Reed's plodding, and Sagopolo didn't appear much quicker. Pump the brakes? Just me, or is 53 trying to get it all done with his upper body?

Wait, what?
Miller was creating a push against nearly 700 pounds.. itā€™s a double team drill, heā€™s not supposed to be trying to beat them, just give them a good look. Thereā€™s no linebackers or DEs for the line to focus on, just the linemen.. you donā€™t try and be Superman and win these. Some of yā€™all never played ball before. He needs to come off lower and thatā€™s it. One rep he fought through both of them to the right & would have made a tackle at the line. I posted earlier, if he can plug holes and let everyone else around him make plays this defense will be legit, this shows me he can indeed create a push and also make some plays himself.

This was one of my biggest gripes with Mannyā€™s defense. A NT that can stalemate two blockers makes life so much easier for the rest of the defense. This is the role I always envisioned for Miller. He was never going to be a penetrating sack artist.

This is why I hate the way we dealt with Tarber in recruiting. YOU ALWAYS TAKE a guy who is immovable against a double team. You make him feel like you HAVE TO have him because you do.

I hope Miller can shine as a run stuffing NT. It will go a long way to improve our second level run defense.

Oluwaseun (70) looks like a starter/contributor to me - between size & drill quicks at POA. Good to see Rivers out there. Is Traore a guy that just looks pretty good in drills, or can he put it together on the field? Rodriguez looks the part, but looks SMALL, and if Seymore's 315, as listed, I'd be shocked. Reed's plodding, and Sagopolo didn't appear much quicker. Pump the brakes? Just me, or is 53 trying to get it all done with his upper body?

Agree with virtually every observation you made. I was impressed with Traore and Oluwaseon in shorts, and Campbell always looks the parts. Can they pair up with Nelson and Rivers to anchor the OL?

Clark is so tiny relative to the others. I thought Reed was bigger but see why both size and athletically wise that heā€™s struggling to deliver meaningful reps. I think Sagapolu will prove much harder to move than Reed though so he may end up providing some good interior support.

Where was Scaife? Did I just miss him or was he out?

Advertisement
I have posted some Mirabel's exact words on what he likes to do. He doesn't coach or teach like our last couple OL coaches. He wants to narrow down the top 5 players and start them regardless of position. Besides Mario being out there, they kept Pata as a OL analyst as you can see him coaching the OL. Manny made Pata a OL analyst and Hyppolite a WR analyst last season. That is why Hyppolite was going to coach WR's in the bowl game and those practices. I liked the move for them both.

Just based off these couple repsā€¦

Jake Lichtenstein looked pretty big out there

Jordan Miller was getting worked

Cyrus Moss needs another year
Moss will be fine. Literally just got here. He has a lot of time in our S&C/nutrition program to look completely different come September. He is going to play, but won't be a starter or majority snap guy year 1.

Advertisement
Skinny? Youā€™re all correct about #39. But, did you see our newest TE #23, Jaleel Skinner? He looks like Spider-Man out there. Long, very long, arms and legs. But much skinnier than 39. Jaleel was trying to block in the drills in this video. No luck.

Given that our WRs are not wowing the coaches, could Skinner get some early action as a pure receiver? He would be scary in the Red Zone in a 13 set, one RB and 3 TEs. The height and catch radius of our TEs would be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses.

'Where's my helmet??'

It's bad when you have to ask that.

Advertisement
Back