Candidate Profile: The Case For Dan Mullen

He is probably my favorite sleeper. We should absolutely be looking to poach the 4-7th coaches in the SEC. Those guys have the capability to own the ACC but will never have the talent to jump over Bama or LSU consistently. They will have seesaw seasons in the SEC or could consistently win 10 games or more at Miami every single year.

Advertisement
Why does it seem some people would rather have Herman over Dan Mullen? Isn't he more established than Herman?

I think most view Herman as more "realistic", because he's at Houston and doesn't make as much money. We've also interviewed Mullen before, and it wasn't a "fit" ...

Herman is the "shiny new toy", fresh off of a national title as the OC and has his new team undefeated. If Chad Morris was undefeated at SMU, he'd be the "it guy", even though he would have no more college HC experience than he does now. Folks are all playing the results to frame their position.

Would take. He's a savage so I have no concern at us actually hiring him. Flake would absolutely **** her pants if Mullen agreed to an interview.

That is why I have no faith in Flake interviewing Herman. Flake won't know what to do when Herman starts talking about dominating college football. That's why he likes Chud so much, someone with his personality

Advertisement
Mullens can't recruit, he couldn't recruit at Florida. We would be fighting for FSU scraps if he was here. Urban said in his book that he had to help Mullen recruit especially Tebow and I believe Percy.

Mullens can't recruit, he couldn't recruit at Florida. We would be fighting for FSU scraps if he was here. Urban said in his book that he had to help Mullen recruit especially Tebow and I believe Percy.

When he enters a home, Gus malzahn isn't inspiring kids IMO. How well your assistant coaches recruit is much more valuable than your head coach

Advertisement
and you all think he gonna come here? Leaving MSU? GTFOH

Have you ever been to Starkville Mississippi?..I have and believe me, the only reason he's there is because of the SEC money. Miami low balled Mullen with the salary and he rejected the offer.

it would be nice to have a coach that actually specializes in the something and can run one side of the ball without being overly dependent on having a good coordinator that will always leave if they are any good

excellent post, I was very upset that we passed on him after I saw him take Mississippi State to that BCS bowl

We didn't pass on him. He didn't think this program or city were a good fit for his staff (including himself).

He's a good coach, but I tend to agree with him that he isn't a good fit here.

Advertisement
The crazy part is that he really wanted the Miami job too.

I heard that too. Our admin is an embarrassment.

Yea I remember there being a lot of talk about it in Gainesville. He had reached out to Urban for advice and Urban told him to take the job and run, which is why he threw his name in the ring. Thought he could recreate what he did at UF.

excellent post, I was very upset that we passed on him after I saw him take Mississippi State to that BCS bowl

We didn't pass on him. He didn't think this program or city were a good fit for his staff (including himself).

Hmmm...

I hadn't considered Mullen but he has to be at the top of the list after Proven Savages like Urban, Saban, Harbaugh. I'd love the hire.

When given the option between Coral Gables and Starkville, what would you choose?

I don't know where you got your info, Killa, but I heard the direct opposite. Like, the exact opposite and with a ton of specifics and his rationale.

I was under the impression he balked at the position because of the salary and the response from the AD that they wouldn't commit to upgrades he thought should be requirments???

Was it really him believing his family wouldn't like South Florida?

Advertisement

When given the option between Coral Gables and Starkville, what would you choose?

I don't know where you got your info, Killa, but I heard the direct opposite. Like, the exact opposite and with a ton of specifics and his rationale.

I was under the impression he balked at the position because of the salary and the response from the AD that they wouldn't commit to upgrades he thought should be requirments???

A significant portion of the rationale I was told is that he and his assistants would have better quality of life up there. And, yes, a lot of it revolved around $.

Just what I've heard. IDK if maybe his tune changed after interviewing with Miami at at THAT point he determined it wasn't a good fit. But up until the interview he very much wanted the job. A guy I speak with off the rivals board (lawyer in Gainesville and UF booster) was telling us before it even happened he was going to interview for the job because he has agent contacts who were saying Mullen wanted it. And had words to the effect of (if they make him and offer that's where he'll be and I want us to beat his smug *** the next time we play them.) I don't have any reason to doubt him.

A significant portion of the rationale I was told is that he and his assistants would have better quality of life up there. And, yes, a lot of it revolved around $.

Begs the question:

Is the $4MM salary leak a direct shot at Mullen ...

Bump.

He interviewed before, allegedly, so he had interest. We need to bring him back in.

Show him all the upgraded facilities, get the indoor practice facility in motion, pay him the $4MM salary, and give him a reasonable staff budget to hire Todd Orlando or Dave Aranda to run this defense. Go win the Coastal next year! ****, maybe even the ACC!

Get in the playoffs by year 2 or 3. He knows that ain't happening at Miss State. But the fact that he has Miss State relevant is all y'all need to know!

And he's already an Adidas coach ...

Advertisement
Back