Candidate for 10th Assistant

Advertisement
That's a football family going wayyyyy back. Something like 4 or 5 generations?

This is the rule "A college would be prevented from hiring a high school coach for a support role if it had recruited a player from his school in the previous two years and would be prohibited from recruiting players from that high school for two years after the hire."

I think we need an OC to game plan and share ideas with richt. It would help us be more creative, but richt could still coach qbs and call plays.

Politically, I don’t see how Rick can hire another offensive coach and call him an OC or co-OC. He had to give Dugans and Brown OC type titles to get them here. I don’t know how you work around your OC Brown or your Passing Game Coordinator Dugans by bringing in another offensive assistant who would have a Coordinator role or title.

I got a good idea, take all the co- and / titles away and Dugans can be a wr coach brown can be a rb coach j Richt can do special teams and we can bring in a savvy O coach that could share duties with Richt. **** with the extra time mark richt would have he could help with special teams also.

Advertisement
STs is one coach you can bring in a competent person and instantly make your STs better.

I think we need an OC to game plan and share ideas with richt. It would help us be more creative, but richt could still coach qbs and call plays.

It’s defintiely needed imo

Either offensive coordinator
Lb coach
Or special teams coordinator

Really can't see Richt bringing in an OC. What happens to Brown, Richt, and Richt Jr. positions then? I don't see it but maybe thats just me.

I don't see the point in bringing one in anyway

our WR's are WIDE open

is an offensive coordinator gonna get them MORE wide open?

Advertisement

It’s defintiely needed imo

Either offensive coordinator
Lb coach
Or special teams coordinator

Really can't see Richt bringing in an OC. What happens to Brown, Richt, and Richt Jr. positions then? I don't see it but maybe thats just me.

I don't see the point in bringing one in anyway

our WR's are WIDE open

is an offensive coordinator gonna get them MORE wide open?

I agree. Rosier had some great games for us, but he is limited. Richt's offense should be better with a more accurate and mobile QB.

Mike Mallory (2018 TE commit Will Mallory's dad)

Currently an assistant special teams coordinator for the Jaguars. Was ST coordinator for the Saints (2008-2012) and Jaguars (2013-2016) prior to this year.

Long time college defensive assistant in positions from DC to LB coach to DB coach at schools such as Illinois, Kansas, Northern Illinois, and Louisville.

No idea what he makes but I saw a report saying the previous St coordinator for Jacksonville made $350,000 a year. Mallory is the assistant ST coordinator so I'm sure we can get in the ballpark to hire him. Let him come in and coach ST and be an all around assistant on our defense, maybe help out Manny at LB.

Huge family coaching tree of NFL and college assistants and Will is coming in this class. Richt was just there to watch a game on his home visit. I don't pay attention to Jaguars to know how their ST have been but he's a grey beard in the coaching industry with several years as a ST coordinator at the highest level. Gotta be better than Hartley.

Thoughts?

Interesting. I wonder if Richt would go with a guy like this, or more a guy like Surtain who would be a better recruiter.

Ed Reed

Advertisement
Mallory certainly has the credentials and we need vastly improved ST play, but I give the edge to a guy who can recruit or believed to be a recruiting plus. We know college ball all about recruiting and anyone who can give you an edge is who my favorite would be in most cases.

Tommy Thigpen? Recently Tennessee’s Lb coach. Also has a history coaching special teams. Won recruiter of the year a couple times as well. I also like Vernon Hargreaves senior.

Anyone is better than what we currently have now coaching that position.

Disagree, Special Teams comprises of 6 of the 8 units of a football team, maybe the most important units on a team.

A coach with a good eye for Special Teams talent is invaluable.

You can tell how talented a team is just by watching KO Coverage & Return.

We are bad in every phase on special teams

[TWEET]935255505391554560[/TWEET]

Advertisement
Anyone is better than what we currently have now coaching that position.

Disagree, Special Teams comprises of 6 of the 8 units of a football team, maybe the most important units on a team.

A coach with a good eye for Special Teams talent is invaluable.

You can tell how talented a team is just by watching KO Coverage & Return.

We are bad in every phase on special teams

[TWEET]935255505391554560[/TWEET]

Not consistent enough still have some inexcusable missed. That miss against clemson hurt any type of momentum

Might sound crazy but I'd hire a designated Kicker coach apart from a special teams coach. No different from a O-coordinator and a Qb coach. Way too many of these big games come down to the kicking game.

Mike Mallory (2018 TE commit Will Mallory's dad)

Currently an assistant special teams coordinator for the Jaguars. Was ST coordinator for the Saints (2008-2012) and Jaguars (2013-2016) prior to this year.

Long time college defensive assistant in positions from DC to LB coach to DB coach at schools such as Illinois, Kansas, Northern Illinois, and Louisville.

No idea what he makes but I saw a report saying the previous St coordinator for Jacksonville made $350,000 a year. Mallory is the assistant ST coordinator so I'm sure we can get in the ballpark to hire him. Let him come in and coach ST and be an all around assistant on our defense, maybe help out Manny at LB.

Huge family coaching tree of NFL and college assistants and Will is coming in this class. Richt was just there to watch a game on his home visit. I don't pay attention to Jaguars to know how their ST have been but he's a grey beard in the coaching industry with several years as a ST coordinator at the highest level. Gotta be better than Hartley.

Thoughts?

Nice post OP. I like the idea.

The []_[];3152830 said:
Tommy Thigpen? Recently Tennessee’s Lb coach. Also has a history coaching special teams. Won recruiter of the year a couple times as well. I also like Vernon Hargreaves senior.

Like this one more. Hits 3 points of need. LB coaching, ST & recruiting

Advertisement
Back