Candidate for 10th Assistant

JayCane20

Seasoned Vet
Premium
Mike Mallory (2018 TE commit Will Mallory's dad)

Currently an assistant special teams coordinator for the Jaguars. Was ST coordinator for the Saints (2008-2012) and Jaguars (2013-2016) prior to this year.

Long time college defensive assistant in positions from DC to LB coach to DB coach at schools such as Illinois, Kansas, Northern Illinois, and Louisville.

No idea what he makes but I saw a report saying the previous St coordinator for Jacksonville made $350,000 a year. Mallory is the assistant ST coordinator so I'm sure we can get in the ballpark to hire him. Let him come in and coach ST and be an all around assistant on our defense, maybe help out Manny at LB.

Huge family coaching tree of NFL and college assistants and Will is coming in this class. Richt was just there to watch a game on his home visit. I don't pay attention to Jaguars to know how their ST have been but he's a grey beard in the coaching industry with several years as a ST coordinator at the highest level. Gotta be better than Hartley.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Currently an assistant special teams coordinator for the Jaguars. Was ST coordinator for the Saints (2008-2012) and Jaguars (2013-2016) prior to this year.

Long time college defensive assistant in positions from DC to LB coach to DB coach at schools such as Illinois, Kansas, Northern Illinois, and Louisville.

No idea what he makes but I saw a report saying the previous St coordinator for Jacksonville made $350,000 a year. Mallory is the assistant ST coordinator so I'm sure we can get in the ballpark to hire him. Let him come in and coach ST and be an all around assistant on our defense, maybe help out Manny at LB.

Huge family coaching tree of NFL and college assistants and Will is coming in this class. Richt was just there to watch a game on his home visit. I don't pay attention to Jaguars to know how their ST have been but he's a grey beard in the coaching industry with several years as a ST coordinator at the highest level. Gotta be better than Hartley.

Thoughts?

Interesting. I wonder if Richt would go with a guy like this, or more a guy like Surtain who would be a better recruiter.

Good pull, Thriller. We need another professional coach on this staff. Our STs is being coached by an intern, and it shows.

Thoughts?

Interesting. I wonder if Richt would go with a guy like this, or more a guy like Surtain who would be a better recruiter.

Bottom line is ST needs to be improved and Surtain has never coached it. Sure he may recruit better but it's not even worth it if we're still gonna be awful on kickoff, kick return, and just overall undisciplined stupidity on punt block.

I don't want to lose Hartley, but he seems like a guy who is great to have around, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. I could see Hartley and Mr. Mallory sharing duties at ST, TE and LB and having it work out pretty well. Interesting concept.

That said, I think we can probably do better (nothing against Mr. Mallory), and I don't see why he would want to leave a rising team that is as stable as it gets right now and leave the NFL for a similar position in college.

Intriguing, and good outside the box thinking, though.

Advertisement

Thoughts?

Bottom line is ST needs to be improved and Surtain has never coached it. Sure he may recruit better but it's not even worth it if we're still gonna be awful on kickoff, kick return, and just overall undisciplined stupidity on punt block.

I agree. Was our special teams also awful the first year with this staff? I'm curious. Don't think they would hire Surtain but maybe a guy like him. I think a big factor in Richt bringing Rumph on was because he knew he would have us in the mix for guys like Herbert, Campbell, and the other Heritage kids.

I don't want to lose Hartley, but he seems like a guy who is great to have around, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. I could see Hartley and Mr. Mallory sharing duties at ST, TE and LB and having it work out pretty well. Interesting concept.

That said, I think we can probably do better (nothing against Mr. Mallory), and I don't see why he would want to leave a rising team that is as stable as it gets right now and leave the NFL for a similar position in college.

He would get to coach his son though. Can't really put a price on that.

Not losing Hartley. He's a boss as a TE coach and he's pulled some good TE's 3 years in a row. He's just not the best candidate to pull double duty and have his own unit. He can still assist on ST but he has no business juggling 2 units. 2 very important units at that. TE is hard to coach and hard to develop and ST requires a lot of time and attention to detail.

His focus next year needs to be on getting 2 true freshman TE's ready to play and keeping Irving's head on straight so we have a TE next year.

Special teams ain’t hard to coach. Any guy we could hire could do a better job than Hartley at that spot at this point. Field goal kicking is sometimes spotty with badgely, kick return blocking is horrible, kickoff coverage is bad as well. Punting is beyond terrible.

Hire surtain, he’s a nfl vet and knows special teams as well

Advertisement
Special teams ain’t hard to coach. Any guy we could hire could do a better job than Hartley at that spot at this point. Field goal kicking is sometimes spotty with badgely, kick return blocking is horrible, kickoff coverage is bad as well. Punting is beyond terrible.

Your ignorance is showing... If Surtain can coach it, great. But I'd be willing to bet he knows nothing about punting or kicking a field goal or identifying someone who can and coaching them to do it. He might be able to orchestrate a decent alignment and coverage but it's just as difficult as coaching offense or defense.

On top of that, the last thing you want as a ST coordinator is the OC or DC on your *** because your unit sucks and give the opponent great field position and the offense terrible field position. These rookie coaches aren't meant for ST.

Your ignorance is showing... If Surtain can coach it, great. But I'd be willing to bet he knows nothing about punting or kicking a field goal or identifying someone who can and coaching them to do it. He might be able to orchestrate a decent alignment and coverage but it's just as difficult as coaching offense or defense.

On top of that, the last thing you want as a ST coordinator is the OC or DC on your *** because your unit sucks and give the opponent great field position and the offense terrible field position. These rookie coaches aren't meant for ST.
Anyone is better than what we currently have now coaching that position. I think Hartley is a pretty good tight end coach and a very good recruiter but he got to pass the sticks on special teams

I think we need an OC to game plan and share ideas with richt. It would help us be more creative, but richt could still coach qbs and call plays.

I think we need an OC to game plan and share ideas with richt. It would help us be more creative, but richt could still coach qbs and call plays.

It’s defintiely needed imo

Either offensive coordinator
Lb coach
Or special teams coordinator

Advertisement

Lb coach

Really can't see Richt bringing in an OC. What happens to Brown, Richt, and Richt Jr. positions then? I don't see it but maybe thats just me.

But I'd be willing to bet he knows nothing about punting or kicking a field goal or identifying someone who can and coaching them to do it. He might be able to orchestrate a decent alignment and coverage but it's just as difficult as coaching offense or defense.

I hear ya', but how many College teams have a dedicated kicking coach? Seems to me that most teams just wing it in regards to kicking.

Lb coach

Really can't see Richt bringing in an OC. What happens to Brown, Richt, and Richt Jr. positions then? I don't see it but maybe thats just me.

They have co OC’s now a days in football. It’s just a title really. I doubt richt does it considering he wants to call plays. He just needs much more creativity to compensate for rosters hot and cold streaks. Rosier wasn’t even capable of hitting the easy plays this year down the stretch which makes everyone have a sour taste in our mouth about the offense

Last edited:
Advertisement

Politically, I don’t see how Rick can hire another offensive coach and call him an OC or co-OC. He had to give Dugans and Brown OC type titles to get them here. I don’t know how you work around your OC Brown or your Passing Game Coordinator Dugans by bringing in another offensive assistant who would have a Coordinator role or title.

Anyone is better than what we currently have now coaching that position.

Disagree, Special Teams comprises of 6 of the 8 units of a football team, maybe the most important units on a team.

A coach with a good eye for Special Teams talent is invaluable.

You can tell how talented a team is just by watching KO Coverage & Return.

Anyone is better than what we currently have now coaching that position.

Disagree, Special Teams comprises of 6 of the 8 units of a football team, maybe the most important units on a team.

A coach with a good eye for Special Teams talent is invaluable.

You can tell how talented a team is just by watching KO Coverage & Return.

We are bad in every phase on special teams

Advertisement
Back