Can we try and flip Brock Vandagriff?

Advertisement
Why would this kid leave his Georgia commitment? If you're the #2 rated QB in the nation, why would you be afraid of competition? Especially from a guy that threw 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in his career. Georgia is just creating depth at the QB position.

I just don't understand the mindset of fans. This isn't pro football where a QB signs for a huge amount of money more or less guaranteeing he'll be the starter. In college football, NO positions are guaranteed. There's ALWAYS going to be competition.

Saul Goodman.

I think we have to use this strategy:

A. Have a great offense under Lash, then try to peel off a current commit to another school that has a late-2020/early-2021 coaching change
and
B. If Part A fails, we go hardcore in the Portal
I don't think you're going to get a QB in the portal for 2021 unless both Perry and Martell transfer out. There will be a competition with Perry, Martell, Matocha, and VanDyke for the starting job. I just can't see another QB coming in competing with 4 QBs who'll have had a year in the new offense under their belt.

I also think it's going to be tough to get a quality QB for the 2021 class. Given the expectations for VanDyke being so high, the 2021 class QB is going to sit 3-4 years. I don't know any kid willing to do that.

I think it's best to have a QB competition next Spring and name that QB the starter to beat going into the Fall camp. Waiting until the end of Fall camp to name a starter will backfire. The thinking is wait as long as possible so guys don't transfer. Well, if neither Perry or Martell is the starter in 2021, then both would likely sit out the season, graduate, and then transfer leaving us with more than likely VanDyke as the starter, Matocha as the backup, and a walk-on as 3rd string a week into the season, if we don't sign a QB in 2021. That way you will have wasted reps for the entire Fall camp on guys that will no longer be on the team.

To me, it makes sense for Perry to be the starter in 2021 and VanDyke/Matocha as backup/3rd string. This way we can get the young QBs some experience before becoming a full-time starter.

If we don't sign a QB for 2021, then we should sign 2 QBs for the 2022 class.

Advertisement
I don't think you're going to get a QB in the portal for 2021 unless both Perry and Martell transfer out. There will be a competition with Perry, Martell, Matocha, and VanDyke for the starting job. I just can't see another QB coming in competing with 4 QBs who'll have had a year in the new offense under their belt.

Tate and Perry aren't scaring off any prospect. Not if they're legit 4*-5* types. The competition would be Van Dyke and Matocha.

I also think it's going to be tough to get a quality QB for the 2021 class. Given the expectations for VanDyke being so high, the 2021 class QB is going to sit 3-4 years. I don't know any kid willing to do that.

A top QB doesn't think that way. He's not going to be scared off by competition. GA, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, have gotten high rated QBs despite being stacked. They're going to be more concerned about their development and can we get them to the next level. At those schools they know what they're getting into. Meanwhile we are once again bringing in a new coordinator with a new offense that no one has seen, not even in spring practice. All we have to show for developing a "top QB" is Kyle Wright (I know, it was 15 years ago) who had three coordinators in 4 years and none of them were named Earl Morrell.

I think it's best to have a QB competition next Spring and name that QB the starter to beat going into the Fall camp. Waiting until the end of Fall camp to name a starter will backfire. The thinking is wait as long as possible so guys don't transfer. Well, if neither Perry or Martell is the starter in 2021, then both would likely sit out the season, graduate, and then transfer leaving us with more than likely VanDyke as the starter, Matocha as the backup, and a walk-on as 3rd string a week into the season, if we don't sign a QB in 2021. That way you will have wasted reps for the entire Fall camp on guys that will no longer be on the team.

To me, it makes sense for Perry to be the starter in 2021 and VanDyke/Matocha as backup/3rd string. This way we can get the young QBs some experience before becoming a full-time starter.

Last edited:
On one of the latest Ivins podcast...there was a discussion about QB recruiting and I agree with what Lake said about us starting Freshman/RF QBs the last decade...and I really hope we can continue to find really good Grad Transfer QBs instead of these young guys to be the starters it just hasn't been working for us

Just curious and it may be to early to figure this out but are there any really good QB's that will be eligible Grad transfers for next year?

Advertisement

Respectfully, I don't see any of this being an issue.

I don't think Martell is ever going to play QB. Honestly.

Perry is Class of 2017. And he has been benched numerous times. If Vandagriff (2021) isn't scared of JT Daniels (2018), I'm not sure why any 2021 QB would be worried about Perry.

Matocha...well, Matocha may be the next Tom Brady, but if so, it's an enormous secret. Not a lot of hype here, and I'm not saying that hype is so important, I'm just saying Matocha (at least at this point) isn't scaring off recruits.

TVD just got here. He's really the ONLY quarterback on our roster who would give a recruit pause. However, every other good program in the country seems to be able to sign 1 QB per year, and now that the Portal exists, QBs know that they can transfer out if there is ever a playing-time logjam.

Finally, I think signing 2 QBs in a class almost always ends up being counter-productive.

Glad to see OP getting treated kindly here. When I asked the the question earlier today about Vandagriff, if JT Daniels transfers to UGA, the mean people came out. Thank goodness for @Zbrod95 and @flagator86

Aye my man; u ain’t gotta take that no more. Someone give u lip; send them with the fish. U’re a made man now; u ain’t gotta put up w chit no more. Lol.

Advertisement

Both Perry and Martell redshirted so if they sit out the 2021 season, they will be sitting out there senior year.

Respectfully, I don't see any of this being an issue.

I don't think Martell is ever going to play QB. Honestly.

Perry is Class of 2017. And he has been benched numerous times. If Vandagriff (2021) isn't scared of JT Daniels (2018), I'm not sure why any 2021 QB would be worried about Perry.

Matocha...well, Matocha may be the next Tom Brady, but if so, it's an enormous secret. Not a lot of hype here, and I'm not saying that hype is so important, I'm just saying Matocha (at least at this point) isn't scaring off recruits.

TVD just got here. He's really the ONLY quarterback on our roster who would give a recruit pause. However, every other good program in the country seems to be able to sign 1 QB per year, and now that the Portal exists, QBs know that they can transfer out if there is ever a playing-time logjam.

Finally, I think signing 2 QBs in a class almost always ends up being counter-productive.
Why would he leave his home state of Georgia and a team he's probably worshiped since grade school? People throwing around a potential flip that 99.99% won't happen and makes no sense.

Why would he leave his home state of Georgia and a team he's probably worshiped since grade school? People throwing around a potential flip that 99.99% won't happen and makes no sense.

Uhhh...he was originally a verbal to Oklahoma would be my opening comment.

I didn't say the flip is "likely" to happen, I'm just pointing out that the kid who "probably worshiped Georgia since grade school" was set to leave Georgia, at one point.

All other things being equal, sure, maybe it's a tough flip. But when your HC is taking former 5-star JuCo transfers ahead of you, maybe things change?

Besides, the issue isn't whether this kid will flip, it's about you flip-flopping. One minute you act like Vandagriff shouldn't be afraid of competition, the next minute you are saying that Miami won't sign a QB in 2021 out of fear of Martell-Perry-Matocha-Van Dyke.

Advertisement
Tate and Perry aren't scaring off any prospect. Not if they're legit 4*-5* types. The competition would be Van Dyke and Matocha.

A top QB doesn't think that way. He's not going to be scared off by competition. GA, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, have gotten high rated QBs despite being stacked. They're going to be more concerned about their development and can we get them to the next level. At those schools they know what they're getting into. Meanwhile we are once again bringing in a new coordinator with a new offense that no one has seen, not even in spring practice. All we have to show for developing a "top QB" is Kyle Wright (I know, it was 15 years ago) who had three coordinators in 4 years and none of them were named Earl Morrell.
That's my point in the 1st place. Vander
Both Perry and Martell redshirted so if they sit out the 2021 season, they will be sitting out there senior year.
I could be wrong, but I think they have eligibility if they graduate by December. I think they could decide not to participate in the 2021 season just after fall camp, graduated in the Summer or attend school part-time not on a scholarship in the Fall and graduate in December, and then transfer to a new school for the Spring 2022 semester having a year of eligibility.

Last edited:

That's my whole point on Vandagriff. You're just regurgitating what I said about UGA and applying it to Miami. So, why would he flip from UGA in the 1st place. Everyone's ignoring that point. There's no reason for him to even consider Miami.

That's my whole point on Vandagriff. You're just regurgitating what I said about UGA and applying it to Miami. So, why would he flip from UGA in the 1st place. Everyone's ignoring that point. There's no reason for him to even consider Miami.
The way you wrote made it seem like your main point was " I just can't see another QB coming in competing with 4 QBs who'll have had a year in the new offense under their belt".

We put a Top 30 or better offensive product on the field in 2020, and we will just about have our pick of 2021 QBs....committed or uncommitted.

Advertisement
Back