Can we gwt some baseball news on here

Doesn't mean it'll translate to D1 baseball...they're coming from leagues where the average fastball is probably around 85 mph to a conference loaded with pitchers who'll probably be drafted

Do you know anything about high level JUCO baseball?

Guys playing in the Panhandle Conference are competing against a bunch of future pros. The competition level is very good.

Despite the fact that literally everyone in the Panhandle Conference is draft eligible, the entire conference had 11 guys drafted this year. So, essentially, two guys per team. "Competing against a bunch of future pros".

Advertisement
Doesn't mean it'll translate to D1 baseball...they're coming from leagues where the average fastball is probably around 85 mph to a conference loaded with pitchers who'll probably be drafted

Guys playing in the Panhandle Conference are competing against a bunch of future pros. The competition level is very good.

Some are future pros...don't argue with me about the panhandle conference...I have two cousins that play for chipola college

Impossible. Brian is the only person who follows college baseball.

Despite the fact that literally everyone in the Panhandle Conference is draft eligible, the entire conference had 11 guys drafted this year. So, essentially, two guys per team. "Competing against a bunch of future pros".

The Panhandle Conference has 5 TEAMS. Way to leave that fact out JJ.

So if they had 14 teams like the ACC, that would be 31 players drafted. I'll accept a response from either you or [MENTION=170]imurcane[/MENTION]

So if they had 14 teams like the ACC, that would be 31 players drafted. I'll accept a response from either you or [MENTION=170]imurcane[/MENTION]

Hey, genius, did you see the part about "essentially two guys per team"? 11 players, about 2 players per team.....I think most people could figure out that there are five teams in the conference.

Naturally, though, you completely missed the point which was that guys who come from that conference aren't "competing against a bunch of future pros". It's a decent conference with a few good players, period.

And if they were playing in the National League, it would be 25 pro players per team!!!

Guess what.....they aren't playing in the ACC or the National League. They play in a conference that had 11 players drafted, which isn't "a bunch of future pros".

Advertisement

So if they had 14 teams like the ACC, that would be 31 players drafted. I'll accept a response from either you or @imurcane

Here is my response . . . When you have a specific problem with something I have said, let me know. When you have a problem with something someone else says, let them know. When you have a problem with something I have said, don't go ask them. When you have a problem with something someone else says, don't come ask me . . . unless of course it is a personal insult, bc I take those very seriously!

But what do I think about juco ball in general or the panhandle conference specifically?

It is interesting bc imo Brian missed the point AGAIN and was answered in a very literal linear manner . . . which by the way is how he often thinks/writes on here. It is unfortunate because saying 11 players were drafted last year clearly isn't a bunch as one would have us believe. But even that misses the point, because while payers are draft eligible, a freshman may be under the radar and go undrafted, but earn a draft spot their next year.

I think it has been noted that there are some solid kids playing, but it isn't like the ACC, SEC, or Pac-12.

So back to actual news: I heard Willie Rios signed? Was trying to confirm but couldn't find anything 100%. Maybe it's already been mentioned here, sorry if it was. Hard to navigate through all the bickering.

This thread turned at post #56 . It was purely a baseball thread until someone had to jump in and act like no one else knows anything about baseball. You get one guess who that person was.

Advertisement
During the 2016 baseball season, there were 120 total players on "Panhandle Conference" teams (on scholarship). Of these players, 11 were drafted, which equates to 9.2% of the scholarship players.

Only 2.16% of the eligible, 34,198 NCAA division-1 players were drafted during 2016. The odds of you being drafted are 4.25x higher in the Panhandle Conference than in NCAA ball.

It is shocking to encounter someone with such limited intelligence.........

During the 2016 baseball season, there were 120 total players on "Panhandle Conference" teams (on scholarship). Of these players, 11 were drafted, which equates to 9.2% of the scholarship players.

Only 2.16% of the eligible, 34,198 NCAA division-1 players were drafted during 2016. The odds of you being drafted are 4.25x higher in the Panhandle Conference than in NCAA ball.

It is shocking to encounter someone with such limited intelligence.........

As usual, you bastardize statistics to make an awful point. Do you really think it is relevant to include the Northeast Conference and MEAC in this discussion? What a clown. And you continually make a fool of yourself with horrendous statistical analysis of baseball. This is about the fifth thing you've completely blown.

Try to keep up on this one. Your cousin claimed that a player would face a "bunch of future pros" in the Panhandle Conference. The reality is that only 11 out of 120 got drafted. That is not "a bunch" when talking about the competition a kid is going to face in the ACC.

Is it a bunch when comparing it to North Dakota, Coppin State, and Iona? Yup. But, as everyone else recognizes, that comparison is just about as irrelevant as humanly possible. Yet you...yes YOU....made that awful comparison.

What's funny is that you did research and calculations just to make a point that had no bearing on the conversation.

Advertisement
I just spent considerable time reading about the recruits that will be on campus next year. Not sure how Morris will be able to allocate the scholarship funds (Davison alone probably requires at least 1/2 a scholarship if not 3/4), but this is one of the best classes I have seen Miami actually matriculate. If Lepore can pitch next year, the 2017 team will be the best of the past 4-years. Davison is perfect, though, he will only be here for a year. Not sure why Auburn let Tackett go (.434, 10, 59), but MIami is undoubtedly grateful for it.

Advertisement
I just spent considerable time reading about the recruits that will be on campus next year. Not sure how Morris will be able to allocate the scholarship funds (Davison alone probably requires at least 1/2 a scholarship if not 3/4), but this is one of the best classes I have seen Miami actually matriculate. If Lepore can pitch next year, the 2017 team will be the best of the past 4-years. Davison is perfect, though, he will only be here for a year. Not sure why Auburn let Tackett go (.434, 10, 59), but MIami is undoubtedly grateful for it.

I'm assuming Davison is getting non-baseball scholarship/grant money. He'll be fun to watch. I wonder if he'll bump Chester down in the order.

Jacob Heyward hitting around .500 with his first homer tonight. Now has 12 rbis in 7 games. Zack hit his 2nd homer in 4 games in Winston Salem )High A Ball) tonight OBP over .500 so far.

Davison batted ~.400 in juco ball last year, as did Tackett. Alvarez (from last year's class) is supposedly real good as well. Davison definitively qualifies for financial aid. Rommy was a huge recruit but has yet to produce. He better this year.

If all of these new players matriculate, 2017 will be another great year.

A few of the players had great grades, so they probably earned academic scholarships. It now makes sense why they were unwilling to give Danny scholarship money. This is the best crop to matriculate in ages. We have had much better classess but never so many that eschewed pro-ball.

Advertisement
Back