CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHOW DIAZ HOW TO COVER THE SLOT!!!!!!!!!!

I was as frustrated as you all with the base package (3 lbs) vs 3 And 4 WR sets without anyone covering the slot. But I'm willing to bet that Diaz was willing to give up those 10 yard chunk plays over leaving Delaney with no help over the top. Leaving him with no safety coverage at this point is a garunteed touchdown. Of course we know that we can meet in the middle and have a nickel package and give up more in the run game...our defense just isn't good enough to stop everything, or at least or schemes aren't good enough

Advertisement
Coach Diaz's "gimmicky" scheme doesn't fit what Coah Kool likes to do up front...

In response to those saying Randy Shannon was terrible covering TEs... that is true but if I'm not mistaken he never had a lb covering a wr, or no one covering the slot like the bs I'm seeing in this ugly Diaz defense.

Randy Shannon fielded like 7 consecutive top 10 defenses.

He was a joke HC and yes he did have games where he was worked as a DC. But we havent fielded a defense even remotely close to the ones he coached.

Diaz has never coached a top ten D. Not once.

Playing nickel against spread and jamming the WRs at the line of scrimmage would go a long way to improving our D

Advertisement
That one year Clemson had that white QB who played baseball, their TE had about 12 catches for 150yds and 2tds. He was slow but still looked like a Gronkowski against us.

The last 10 years, we've had a knack for making garbage QBs and offenses look like the Patriots and Tom Brady

was that the TE we knocked unconscious?

I think specifically thinking of 04 loss in OT @ the OB

I don't know if Diaz is that stupid, if he doesn't trust his personnel or doesn't know quite what he has yet. Either way its not a good situation and your more savy OC will take advantage of these BS alignments the same way they did in 2011 vs Maryland, Virginia and Kansas st. Delaney looks lost, slow and confused. The secondary as a whole looks this way..in fact Miami's back 7 as a whole looked lost at times. Some of this can be attributed to the lay off but they need to make some dramatic improvement between now and the noles.

I think that he likes to keep the 3rd backer on the field to help defend the run better also. Meaning, he also doesn't trust 6 in the box for the run. Watched the Georgia game last night and they were in nickel most of the game and their DLine stuffed the run with 6.

I think that he likes to keep the 3rd backer on the field to help defend the run better also. Meaning, he also doesn't trust 6 in the box for the run. Watched the Georgia game last night and they were in nickel most of the game and their DLine stuffed the run with 6.

But I thought Georgia was so foolish for getting rid of their former coach and we would be laughing at them?

Advertisement
it somehow went away in the 2nd half

No it didn’t. Toledo finally got fatigued and started dropping passes. That is the only reason they lost the game.

Fed disappointed with the LB coverage (TOL QB faked run and threw to Alot every time) and Doo Doo Delaney was just **** treats. He has to let dean show what he can do. If tackling is what’s keeping dean out he line up then Delaney so see the bench because he slipped on every other play. No hips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diazs entire philosophy makes no since.... we are playing fckn spread teams that call run plays from spread formations!? Why do we need 3 linebackers on the field every time to stop a rb going through a whole by himself?

Last edited:
Big issue is the lack of communication in the back 7. They are not supposed to be that out of sync in year 2 under Diaz. LBs were messing up drops and DBs were not understanding coverage

Advertisement
Why not make Romeo Finley or Amari Carter your 3rd LB if we are worried about our Nickel package against the run. Regardless, if our back 7 doesn't drastically improve, the rest of the ACC coastal coaches will run circles around us.

Fedora, Cutcliffe, Fuente allwill outscheme this back 7

That one year Clemson had that white QB who played baseball, their TE had about 12 catches for 150yds and 2tds. He was slow but still looked like a Gronkowski against us.

The last 10 years, we've had a knack for making garbage QBs and offenses look like the Patriots and Tom Brady

Kyle Parker.

Advertisement
Diaz entire philosophy is based on safe aggression. Its a typical immature coach thing to believe that you can have your cake and eat it too.

Blitzing with a spot drop zone, the backbone of his scheme, hasn't worked in practice in like 30 years. If the blitz doesn't get there, you have guys covering grass and multiple receivers will be open every single play. Against quick pass spread teams, you give up 400 yards and 30 points.

With the fire zone, Diaz feels he can get the best of both worlds as it is an 8-man front with middle-of-the-field support with 6 defenders covering 5 potential receivers.

“Its just Cover 3 with a hook player blitzing – that’s a fair exchange.
It is the most stable thing I can run”

A large part of the success Diaz has experienced with fire zones is due in large part to the way he employs them. Simplicity is the key, contrary to most defenses, Diaz believes in spot-dropping with his 3-deep, 3-under to prevent his defenders from thinking or making mental errors. In this post, we explore how he defines and installs his foolproof approach to the fire zone.

from: Cripes! Get back to fundamentals...: Manny Diaz: Bulletproof Fire Zone

Big issue is the lack of communication in the back 7. They are not supposed to be that out of sync in year 2 under Diaz. LBs were messing up drops and DBs were not understanding coverage

Said this in another thread. The entire back 7 looked garbage/lost in coverage. Delaney was his own special kinda lost. He was out of the milky way looking for other forms of life.

This might be the most "internet" thread on the this forum right now. The people who are destroying Manny are the same ones that were singing his praises last year. There are two fundamental differences between our defense in 2016 and 2017. #1 We had a lock down corner in Corn that could match up against anyone one-on-one #2 Despite the sub-par coverage skills, Carter (and Jenkins) were sound tacklers. Both areas enabled Manny to bring pressure on third down and get off the field, even when the team completed the underneath pass for 5-7 yards. Yesterday, we had a number of third and longs where we would have gotten off the field, if the first man had made the tackle.

I'm not a scheme guy, so not getting into that area, but I do remember someone doing a great breakdown of historical Manny defenses prior to last season highlighting a few things, but three of them were: big runs, screens and slants/skinny posts. It would appear the last one continues to be problematic with our weak secondary.

My questions: why not sub-out Delaney? He was getting beat bad, I don't see how the alternative could be THAT worse. Why don't we press the slot receiver? It is a timing route that would get disrupted, no?

Said this in another thread. The entire back 7 looked garbage/lost in coverage. Delaney was his own special kinda lost. He was out of the milky way looking for other forms of life.

Not only that, Delaney showed awful technique out there. Not sure if it was because he was already playing nervous/shook or if he's that unnatural of a CB.

Advertisement
Back