Can someone explain to me something? (Cristobal question)

robertpaige

Frosh
I'm sure this will be met with a lot of negative feedback(as most things around here that don't involve Butch Davis seem to be), but can someome explain the rationale behind all of the negativity surrounding Mario Cristobal? Not saying he's my first choice, nor would I prefer to see him take the position over someone like Butch Davis(proven winner), but was what he did at FIU really so bad that he should be met with this sort of hate?

People will say Bama's OL got worse but I don't see it. In 2009 when Ingram won the Heisman he ran for 1700. Granted he's a freak, but Derrick Henry has rushed for almost 1800 yards this season.. With 4 games of 200+ yards. This putting him in elite company with only Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker. The Offensive line surely can't SUCK

I get that we all would like to see Butch Davis coach our Canes again, but would it really be the worst thing in the world if Cristobal were the guy?

Advertisement
The Problem is Not whether Mario is good or bad coach... The problem is Mario is NOT the coach for Miami ... especially at this time.

Especially when there are WAAAYYY better Established options

JC

I'm sure this will be met with a lot of negative feedback(as most things around here that don't involve Butch Davis seem to be), but can someome explain the rationale behind all of the negativity surrounding Mario Cristobal? Not saying he's my first choice, nor would I prefer to see him take the position over someone like Butch Davis(proven winner), but was what he did at FIU really so bad that he should be met with this sort of hate?

People will say Bama's OL got worse but I don't see it. In 2009 when Ingram won the Heisman he ran for 1700. Granted he's a freak, but Derrick Henry has rushed for almost 1800 yards this season.. With 4 games of 200+ yards. This putting him in elite company with only Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker. The Offensive line surely can't SUCK

I get that we all would like to see Butch Davis coach our Canes again, but would it really be the worst thing in the world if Cristobal were the guy?

Yes it was that bad. He finished 27-47, Winning just 11 of his last 25 games in his 5th and 6th years. That's with his guys with a recruiting advantage over the lowest tier of conferences. He was fired for a reason.

Advertisement
Mario Cristobal:
- Inherited FIU at 0-12
- Left FIU at 3-9
Despite him winning 8 games and a bowl, his tenure netted the university 3 wins at the end of the day.

And lets be realistic here, he was only hired by Bama to get SoFlo recruits. It can't be that hard to coach up 5-star o-line recruits to success.

Yes it was that bad. He finished 27-47, Winning just 11 of his last 25 games in his 5th and 6th years. That's with his guys with a recruiting advantage over the lowest tier of conferences. He was fired for a reason.

Exactly. I swear, 90% of this forum has never watched a college football team other than Miami. It's incredible to read some of the crap posted on here, like the OP.

Okay that does make some sense, but all FIU has done since firing him is gone 10-26 and been arguably one of the lesser teams in the conference and in the country. He atleast had them competitive. And it has been three years since then, he has surely learned from the mistakes he made while at FIU (not every coach is Al Golden and refuses to adapt), and in the mean time he has, albeit slowly, turned a Bama Oline of highly rated player into certifiable savages. I just don't think it would turn out nearly as poorly as people say it will

Henry has been force-fed the ball, so he has women big rushing totals. If you've watched any Bama games, they have yielded some sacks and qb pressures, unlike what we've seen in the past. Their Oline is not as good as we've been accustomed to seeing.

Advertisement
But again, I would also like to see someone else be hired. Just don't think that I would be super devastated like most of the board would be if it were to actually be Cristobal

Henry has been force-fed the ball, so he has women big rushing totals. If you've watched any Bama games, they have yielded some sacks and qb pressures, unlike what we've seen in the past. Their Oline is not as good as we've been accustomed to seeing.

And would we be so opposed to running an offense where we were able to pound the ball at the defense 40 times effectively?

But again, I would also like to see someone else be hired. Just don't think that I would be super devastated like most of the board would be if it were to actually be Cristobal

What positives would he bring? What tangible evidence do you base this neutrality on?

Okay that does make some sense, but all FIU has done since firing him is gone 10-26 and been arguably one of the lesser teams in the conference and in the country. He atleast had them competitive. And it has been three years since then, he has surely learned from the mistakes he made while at FIU (not every coach is Al Golden and refuses to adapt), and in the mean time he has, albeit slowly, turned a Bama Oline of highly rated player into certifiable savages. I just don't think it would turn out nearly as poorly as people say it will
Mario's 27 wins at FIU came against teams with a combined .289 winning percentage. Larry Coker currently has a .458 winning percentage at UTSA (compared to Mario's .365 winning percentage at FIU). Maybe we should consider him for the job.

Advertisement

What positives would he bring? What tangible evidence do you base this neutrality on?

Plenty of local coaches have already said they want him to be the guy. Whether that's because they think he's just going to bring every single Dade county HSFB coach on his staff or if they think he could actually win idk

Plenty of parents of recruits have said that they would be pleased to see either Cristobal or Butch or someone like that with ties to the program, and keeping the guys we have committed is really more important than people will give credit. I would say at least four to five of Golden's loses during his time here could have been covered up by winning some of the recruiting battles he had lost.

Not saying that recruiting wins on Saturdays.. But.. Recruiting kinda wins on Saturdays..

Advertisement
Cristobal could develop into a legit head coach. I know the mob mentality has written him off, but he could become a legit guy.

But without having a clue about his philosophy on either side of the ball, it's tough to really evaluate him.

Is he a Miami/Alabama pro-style offense guy? Is he Bama 3-4 D, or Miami/Rutgers 4-3? Or, is he trying to model his O after Oregon, or Auburn, or Texas A&M, or Ohio State/Houston? And maybe he's a 4-2 or 3-3 D guy???

The scariest thing about Mario is that nobody knows what he wants his team to really look like.

Maybe he knows. And maybe he can articulate his vision so clearly that he gets hired. But most fans would like to see him implement his plan at a smaller program, have some success, and know what we're getting with him ... Beyond being "a Miami guy" with South Florida recruiting ties.

Plenty of local coaches have already said they want him to be the guy. Whether that's because they think he's just going to bring every single Dade county HSFB coach on his staff or if they think he could actually win idk

Plenty of parents of recruits have said that they would be pleased to see either Cristobal or Butch or someone like that with ties to the program, and keeping the guys we have committed is really more important than people will give credit. I would say at least four to five of Golden's loses during his time here could have been covered up by winning some of the recruiting battles he had lost.

Not saying that recruiting wins on Saturdays.. But.. Recruiting kinda wins on Saturdays..
Yeah, recruiting was the issue when we sent 7 kids to the draft and still had a losing season.

Do you get paid to post while you are working at the Hecht?

Cristobal could develop into a legit head coach. I know the mob mentality has written him off, but he could become a legit guy.

But without having a clue about his philosophy on either side of the ball, it's tough to really evaluate him.

Is he a Miami/Alabama pro-style offense guy? Is he Bama 3-4 D, or Miami/Rutgers 4-3? Or, is he trying to model his O after Oregon, or Auburn, or Texas A&M, or Ohio State/Houston? And maybe he's a 4-2 or 3-3 D guy???

The scariest thing about Mario is that nobody knows what he wants his team to really look like.

Maybe he knows. And maybe he can articulate his vision so clearly that he gets hired. But most fans would like to see him implement his plan at a smaller program, have some success, and know what we're getting with him ... Beyond being "a Miami guy" with South Florida recruiting ties.

Good post. I agree with this as well

Yeah, recruiting was the issue when we sent 7 kids to the draft and still had a losing season.

Do you get paid to post while you are working at the Hecht?

You're talking about top end talent. I'm refering to the fact that in year 3 Golden still had a freaking 5'8" walkon linebacker playing safety for him. Golden was unable to recruit to a level where he had an elite 2-deep at every position. Mario Cristobal would not have this issue

Advertisement
Back