Can someone explain the last 58 seconds?

I've never coached football at any level, and even after 4 vodka tonics tonight I was asking the same questions.

We all agree that you let him walk into the endzone right?
You're not gonna stop them from the 2 inch line four times in a row and win.

So let them score, now you have twice as much time on the clock AND two timeouts.

Am I missing something?
No dude he’s just completely inept

Advertisement
If manny lets them score and we don’t score he is blasted. If he tries to stop them and they score he gets blasted.

The shiit coaching took place on 4th and 14. Everything after that is academic.
I disagree with your first statement. The likelihood of stopping them on the 2 inch line 4 times in a row is so so low.
If Manny let's them score, then we would have realized what he's trying to do., which is give us twice as much time and 2 timeouts.

By not letting them in, we were left with 25 seconds and no timeouts. That's nearly impossible.

But I do agree with your assessment of our coaches, yes, they are **** lol

Advertisement
In the UVA game, we all knew that running down the clock and putting the game on the leg of the freshman kicker was a recipe for disaster. In this game, with his career on the line and a 4th and 1 on the 48 yard line, instead of putting his ego aside and realizing that his defense was not capable of stopping FSU, he decided to give them the ball. Frankly I'm not surprised the meltdown started with a special teams failure. Patke and Diaz are the wonder twins of horrible coaching

Here's what happened:

1. FSU pushed the ball down to Miami's 1 yard line with 58 seconds left for a 1st and goal.
2. After the chains are set on first downs, the clock restarts. Manny didn't call a timeout until 12 seconds after the clock restarted and he saw the Seminoles just standing around and not having any urgency.
3. Even after Manny eventually called the timeout, he should have let FSU score the TD (but defend the 2pt attempt) and give the ball back to your offense to try to score a game-tying FG or GW TD.

Sorry for the all caps but....

THIS IS WHY COACHES DON'T GET THEIR FIRST HEAD COACHING JOB AT A MAJOR PROGRAM AND YOU ALLOW THEM TO FIRST GET EXPERIENCE AT PROGRAMS LIKE.........

TEMPLE. TO GET GAME EXPERIENCE.
Man, even casual fans know what to do in that situation.

Advertisement
In the UVA game, we all knew that running down the clock and putting the game on the leg of the freshman kicker was a recipe for disaster. In this game, with his career on the line and a 4th and 1 on the 48 yard line, instead of putting his ego aside and realizing that his defense was not capable of stopping FSU, he decided to give them the ball. Frankly I'm not surprised the meltdown started with a special teams failure. Patke and Diaz are the wonder twins of horrible coaching
This. You get 2 yards you win. Go for it every time.

If it were another defense I would agree but we are so bad at pressuring and we always lose guys when the QB breaks the pocket that I think the result would have been the same. Agree with you on personnel choices (another Manny staple)
Travis cant throw on the run i live with that.

They had 6 in to block 3.

The crazy part is....if Travis took off....he likely gets it anyway because the only one still in the middle of the field is KeonTra Smith...he just gets by him and its an easy first or td..... Travis didn tlook away from the trips side....we had a cb (couch) looking directly at him and let a guy sSTILL get in to his zone untouched.

DIAZ is alwayyyyyys scary on 4th and longs...its infuriating. Last week this mfer had Nesta Silvera spying their qb to end the game...sh*t has no rhyme or reason. We suze at playing that sort of zone...but f it ...big game winning play im gonna call it. Im going to have no push up the middle on this qb that is some sh*t...Amari Carter is in covering grass on the other side of the field...i mean sh*t the whole back 7 likely covered not a sole

Advertisement
This. You get 2 yards you win. Go for it every time.

If doesn't pick up the yard, he is still putting the game on the back of the defense. Analytics say that going for it on 4th and short is almost always the better option than punting. Strange that Mr. Analytics doesn't know that

Manny is a coaching savant. His “bow up”defensive call at the goal line was genius .
I’m an analytics nerd too but I thought the odds favor the offense to score when they’re a quarter yard away from the end zone with their jumbo package. I’m glad Manny showed me how it’s done.

Advertisement
Third and long ALL season, and now Fourth and long. Where is that defense? Many, Many, Many...

We give up an atrocious 4th and 14 (rush 3??) and with 58 seconds left we have 2 timeouts and they have the ball on the 1 foot line.

We call timeout??

And then another?? (Because at this point we have to).

Why not let them score and the.n we have 2 timeouts and 58 seconds left?

Seems like is was completely confusing.
can someone explain the last 3 years?

I've never coached football at any level, and even after 4 vodka tonics tonight I was asking the same questions.

We all agree that you let him walk into the endzone right?
You're not gonna stop them from the 2 inch line four times in a row and win.

So let them score, now you have twice as much time on the clock AND two timeouts.

Am I missing something?
You're going to have 1 TO because we needed to call TO at 58 seconds otherwise FSU bleeds the clock. Problem is we didn't call TO until 46 seconds left, essentially wasting 12 precious seconds. Call TO, let them score, and get the ball with ~ 50 seconds and 1 TO

Advertisement
Back