Can someone explain the last 58 seconds?

WndyCityCane

Recruit
We give up an atrocious 4th and 14 (rush 3??) and with 58 seconds left we have 2 timeouts and they have the ball on the 1 foot line.

We call timeout??

And then another?? (Because at this point we have to).

Why not let them score and the.n we have 2 timeouts and 58 seconds left?

Seems like is was completely confusing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
It was easily the most egregious coaching and clock management in the last minute of a game that I've ever seen. To the point that I almost wonder if he was an FSU insider plant so he could burn us down from the inside for his alma mater.

I thought dropping back and playing coverage was the right call. The truth is that we got beat by the same thing we always do. We don’t play zone well enough to run it, so it failed. The call isn’t wrong, it’s how it’s taught and how it’s (not) executed IMO

Advertisement
Lets Go Thumbs Up GIF by ESPN

Advertisement
We give up an atrocious 4th and 14 (rush 3??) and with 58 seconds left we have 2 timeouts and they have the ball on the 1 foot line.

We call timeout??

As soon as Manny tries to explain this in his post game. I need it on audio.

It was by far the stupidest 58 seconds of coaching I have ever ever ever seen.

Manny was trying to out analytics them. The idea was that by putting all the faith in the defense at the half yard line with four downs for FSU it was a better idea than trying to stop them without using timeouts and having them to score/get a field goal.

Absolutely retarded.

by the way, analytics without context are basically useless and why the general public doesn't understand or trust such things anymore: the execution and display by the users tends to be like Diaz's interpretative ability.

We call timeout??

Because most coaches have a hard time just “letting the other team score by laying down”.

But, corches gon corch

I've never coached football at any level, and even after 4 vodka tonics tonight I was asking the same questions.

We all agree that you let him walk into the endzone right?
You're not gonna stop them from the 2 inch line four times in a row and win.

So let them score, now you have twice as much time on the clock AND two timeouts.

Am I missing something?

Advertisement
Back