Can Knighton Return Punts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
At this point I don't want a return, just wave your arms and catch the ball or let it hit and run the other way. This is ridiculous!

Advertisement
I'm not freaking out about Pope at all. The first one v UAB could be nerves. The one v FSU is one he should leave. He is trying to save us field position and he should know when its too risky cuz he is too far away. By the time he got to the ball he is fairly out of control. He will help us before the season ends
This. Pope has plenty of shiftiness and suddeness. He just needs to know when to catch and ball and when to leave it alone.

Pope needs someone yelling at him to catch the punts or flee. He obviously can't hear me through the TV.

For whatever reason, he returns kickoffs a lot better than punts. We can also put two back there or line up 11 for the block. Not sure if Patke is that advanced yet. Smh

Lol I mean honestly we really don’t have anyone who has sure hands for PR. I doubt they will put a True Frosh back there vs Clemson. I think they give Pope another chance. Just my guess.

This was a high school type of mistake. Most teams teach the returner only catch the ones you can settle under. I am sure they have a call for him to yell out on a bad punt (usually Peter or Poison) that tells the return team to run towards the sideline so they don't accidently touch the ball. He should have done the same. Hopefully this is the only one he has to learn from.

Advertisement
Based on what? All them was in the battle for that spot and Pope won the job. U never wanna play musical chairs with your PR guys. I’ve seen ST muff a punt. I’ve seen Travis Benjamin muff a punt. U dont move off a guy unless u have a sure fire better proven option. I’d ride with Pope and let him figure the **** out. This is not a Jeff Thomas/KJ type situation
jeff muffed a punt and never got another chance to be fair. Mark already has 2 muffs

Advertisement
jeff muffed a punt and never got another chance to be fair. Mark already has 2 muffs
No. Jeff got suspended. KJ took over and balled so Jeff was never put back there. JT4 did not lose the job because of that muff bruh

I'm not freaking out about Pope at all. The first one v UAB could be nerves. The one v FSU is one he should leave. He is trying to save us field position and he should know when its too risky cuz he is too far away. By the time he got to the ball he is fairly out of control. He will help us before the season ends

Problem is, PR job description is:
1. Don’t hurt us
2. Help us

2 fumbles in 3 games is no bueno. And fwiw, I’m not down on Pope at WR. But you just cannot fumble at PR, certainly not twice in three games...especially when we’ve got something going. He’s messing with our mo back there.

I'M concerned for his health, he doesn't need to be there. Fragile and no baller. Eventually he'll get killed out there. He's twing and not impressed over all.

Advertisement
Pope is an adventure back there. I'll give him credit because he seems like he's developing a little swag and some mental toughness game by game. That muff against FSU was an effort play, and he had the right thought. He also showed some toughness in that game lowering his shoulder a couple times.

I'm more nervous for him catching punts than he seems to be because he bounces back. Sometimes, when someone muffs a punt it's over for them. Gets in their head and they're done. He at least is showing a short memory and some mental toughness. I wouldn't put a freshmans back there against Clemson.

Agreed that inserting a freshman in that role for the first time against Clemson is a bad idea. Pope should be on a very short leash at this point, even one more fumble / muffed punt and he needs to be replaced ASAP.

Advertisement
While everyone's busy pile humping Pope, I saw that Pope speed in a game for the first time on that kick return. He looked like the fastest guy on the field. He's starting to get more confident out there and feeling his nuts drop a little.
I like Pope on kick returns. He seems to see the holes better and has the straight-line speed to explode through them. There's also not as much pressure to make the catch cause there isn't guys right in his face. I will be surprised if he doesn't house one this year.

On PRs, he just isn't shifty and can't make people miss. And I agree his confidence is building game by game, but he isn't there yet to trust him v. Clemson. We just need a sure-handed guy to make the catch and get the offense on the field. I'm not sure who that is, but it isn't Pope.

I like Pope on kick returns. He seems to see the holes better and has the straight-line speed to explode through them. There's also not as much pressure to make the catch cause there isn't guys right in his face. I will be surprised if he doesn't house one this year.

On PRs, he just isn't shifty and can't make people miss. And I agree his confidence is building game by game, but he isn't there yet to trust him v. Clemson. We just need a sure-handed guy to make the catch and get the offense on the field. I'm not sure who that is, but it isn't Pope.
Tough spot to put someone else in for the first time in their career at Clemson.

I’d be interested to see restrepo smith frierson in that order
tenor.gif

Advertisement
Back