Can Knighton Return Punts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
While everyone's busy pile humping Pope, I saw that Pope speed in a game for the first time on that kick return. He looked like the fastest guy on the field. He's starting to get more confident out there and feeling his nuts drop a little.
He is. You can see the potential. When it all comes together (it will) he's gonna be a good one.

Advertisement
tenor.gif
Keyshawn smith. And Gilbert returned in high school and was pretty good

Wtf makes y’all think Knighton is reliable back there?..nah either keep Pope back there or move a sure handed guy (idk if we have one) maybe a Harley. Popes decisions haven’t been the issue. The one vs FSU he probably should’ve let bounced. UAB was a fumble. No u can’t have those mistakes I get that. But I wouldn’t move off Pope just yet. There’s a rzn why he won that job
I actually don't mind Pope running up to make that fair catch and save yardage. Drives me crazy when guys let it bounce unnecessarily and give up 20 yards of field position. But if you're gonna run up you better catch it. Pope looks like he's fighting the ball sometimes. That's inexperience, or just buy having a natural feel for the job. He returned punts in high school but that was 3 years ago now. Many of the freshmen were just doing it a few months back.. Of course, they're freshmen. But if your upperclassman is muffing and fumbling them anyway..

Advertisement
I actually don't mind Pope running up to make that fair catch and save yardage. Drives me crazy when guys let it bounce unnecessarily and give up 20 yards of field position. But if you're gonna run up you better catch it. Pope looks like he's fighting the ball sometimes. That's inexperience, or just buy having a natural feel for the job. He returned punts in high school but that was 3 years ago now. Many of the freshmen were just doing it a few months back.. Of course, they're freshmen. But if your upperclassman is muffing and fumbling them anyway..neither mistakes were because of indecision imo nor were they bad decisions.
I get that. But returning punts in HS is totally different animal then college. I’ll say this about Pope, have little problem with his mentality on the muff or fumble. Unless u want him to just play the fair catch game. Vs UAB tryna make a play. Vs FSU tryna be aggressive and save yards

I get that. But returning punts in HS is totally different animal then college. I’ll say this about Pope, have little problem with his mentality on the muff or fumble. Unless u want him to just play the fair catch game. Vs UAB tryna make a play. Vs FSU tryna be aggressive and save yards
Yea, but you gotta catch and hold on to the **** ball.

Advertisement
Based on what? All them was in the battle for that spot and Pope won the job. U never wanna play musical chairs with your PR guys. I’ve seen ST muff a punt. I’ve seen Travis Benjamin muff a punt. U dont move off a guy unless u have a sure fire better proven option. I’d ride with Pope and let him figure the **** out. This is not a Jeff Thomas/KJ type situation
Lol based on the fact that he’s still back there after dropping punts. Imagine that happening against a good opponent that will capitalize off of the turnover. The only reason he hasn’t been permanently moved is because it hasn’t cost us a game YET. Maybe I’m wrong and don’t know what I’m talking about though

Lol based on the fact that he’s still back there after dropping punts. Imagine that happening against a good opponent that will capitalize off of the turnover. The only reason he hasn’t been permanently moved is because it hasn’t cost us a game YET. Maybe I’m wrong and don’t know what I’m talking about though
Yeah he fumbled one and muffed one..if he gets suspended like JT4 maybe this mysterious person we have that the coaches don’t know about will take advantage

Advertisement
Restrepo showed more in one return than Pope has shown all year. It's forgone... get the Pope TFO of PR duties. His 3rd fumble against Clempson is probably a gamechanger.

Advertisement
I understand the hesitation toward putting a freshman back there....but the fact of the matter is Pope is basically returning punts like a freshman right now. One more error from that kid and we may finish the job off in terms of completely ruining whatever confidence he's gained to this point. He'll eventually come around, but he's simply not ready or trustworthy right now.

If I'm Manny I'm going to the bullpen and bringing in Restrepo. Just tell him to fair catch the obvious ones and leave anything questionable the **** alone and take our chances with the ball bouncing. Our offense is good enough to overcome a lack of punt return yardage or even some bad field position. Our potent offense can't help us if a turnover is made before it even steps on the field.

Every year or two we have a player who's widely protected by some of the people in our fan base no matter what they do. Pope is that guy right now.

Forget the muffs/fumbles, he's simply NOT GOOD AT RETURNING PUNTS.
He's awkward and has no vision. Coaches put him back there because (1) he has the physical tools and (2) the other options are Freshmen.

He deserved his chance but he hasn't done anything with it. He doesn't have the savvy for it. My man has run backwards on punt returns!

Every year or two we have a player who's widely protected by some of the people in our fan base no matter what they do. Pope is that guy right now.

Forget the muffs/fumbles, he's simply NOT GOOD AT RETURNING PUNTS.
He's awkward and has no vision. Coaches put him back there because (1) he has the physical tools and (2) the other options are Freshmen.

He deserved his chance but he hasn't done anything with it. He doesn't have the savvy for it. My man has run backwards on punt returns!
Pope and Harley BATTLING!

Advertisement
Back