Can Knighton Return Punts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
Advertisement
I've said it 20 times already, but here it goes again:

Mark Pope cannot go back for punt return ever again in his career. Period.

Honestly, I don't care if we put Jon Ford back there. If he can catch the football 100 out of 100 times, then he'd be fine by me even if he has 0 return yards for the season. There simply is no bigger momentum shifter in the sport than muffing a punt. We got lucky as **** Saturday night that for one, it wasn't deep in our territory and for two, these dumbasses decided to run a reverse pass and then carelessly hit our defensive end in the chest with the football. We won't be so lucky in the future. Just find someone, ANYONE who can catch it. Clearly Mark Pope is not that guy. That experiment needs to end now before it costs us a football game.

Advertisement
I'm not freaking out about Pope at all. The first one v UAB could be nerves. The one v FSU is one he should leave. He is trying to save us field position and he should know when its too risky cuz he is too far away. By the time he got to the ball he is fairly out of control. He will help us before the season ends

I get it but I’m not sure I want to throw a true freshman out there against Clemson returning punts for the first time. Patke(I’m guessing he makes the call) has a tough decision, not sure what the correct decision is but Pope makes me nervous.

I'm not freaking out about Pope at all. The first one v UAB could be nerves. The one v FSU is one he should leave. He is trying to save us field position and he should know when its too risky cuz he is too far away. By the time he got to the ball he is fairly out of control. He will help us before the season ends
I agree. The second one looked like poor decision making, which could be corrected through coaching.

Even if he catches it though, it doesn't seem like he could do anything productive with it. Knighton, on the other hand, I could see him taking one to the house.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree. The second one looked like poor decision making, which could be corrected through coaching.

Even if he catches it though, it doesn't seem like he could do anything productive with it. Knighton, on the other hand, I could see him taking one to the house.
I CAN SEE IT COMING..POPE'S A GOOD KLID AND FINE BALLPLAYER..BUT I'M SURE HE WILL COST US A GAME WITH A TURNOVER.

Advertisement
I've said it 20 times already, but here it goes again:

Mark Pope cannot go back for punt return ever again in his career. Period.

Honestly, I don't care if we put Jon Ford back there. If he can catch the football 100 out of 100 times, then he'd be fine by me even if he has 0 return yards for the season. There simply is no bigger momentum shifter in the sport than muffing a punt. We got lucky as **** Saturday night that for one, it wasn't deep in our territory and for two, these dumbasses decided to run a reverse pass and then carelessly hit our defensive end in the chest with the football. We won't be so lucky in the future. Just find someone, ANYONE who can catch it. Clearly Mark Pope is not that guy. That experiment needs to end now before it costs us a football game.
Big guys don't fumble, once said by someone.... Put Jordan Miller and Zion back there and let's check this theory. Maybe only when we are up 50, but let's give it another try.

Wtf makes y’all think Knighton is reliable back there?..nah either keep Pope back there or move a sure handed guy (idk if we have one) maybe a Harley. Popes decisions haven’t been the issue. The one vs FSU he probably should’ve let bounced. UAB was a fumble. No u can’t have those mistakes I get that. But I wouldn’t move off Pope just yet. There’s a rzn why he won that job

Give me restrepo back there or Keshawn Smith. If the staff is ok with Pope dropping punts then they might as well put a freshman back there.
Based on what? All them was in the battle for that spot and Pope won the job. U never wanna play musical chairs with your PR guys. I’ve seen ST muff a punt. I’ve seen Travis Benjamin muff a punt. U dont move off a guy unless u have a sure fire better proven option. I’d ride with Pope and let him figure the **** out. This is not a Jeff Thomas/KJ type situation

Pope is an adventure back there. I'll give him credit because he seems like he's developing a little swag and some mental toughness game by game. That muff against FSU was an effort play, and he had the right thought. He also showed some toughness in that game lowering his shoulder a couple times.

I'm more nervous for him catching punts than he seems to be because he bounces back. Sometimes, when someone muffs a punt it's over for them. Gets in their head and they're done. He at least is showing a short memory and some mental toughness. I wouldn't put a freshmans back there against Clemson.

Advertisement
Back