Can anyone name an offense...

Advertisement
I will never understand the concept of following sports just to have something else to ***** about.

Advertisement
Toledo...

Yall keep gaffing at Toledo...but they're on a list with Bama, Oklahoma, and maybe 2 more schools as the only offense's to be ranked in the top 25 for the last 5 years straight.

This isn't a shot at Diaz but Toledo was 36th in yards per play this year at 5.9 yds/play. That is almost a full yard less per play compared to their offense last year, which did well against us.

Advertisement
One can think that Manny did a really good job and was a top 15 assistant but that our D's image and stats were indeed largely achieved against a pretty weak overall slate of opponents. That's why I personally always deemed this a "good" defense and not remotely a "great" one by any traditional sense of the word.

Lots of people like to say it was a "championship caliber" D and blame any woes on field position and the offense. I never saw that. It always seemed like a D that may have kept us within 10 against Clemson on our best day with our offense actually being competent but certainly not good enough to ever actually hang with let alone shut down your Oklahomas, Clemsons, Bamas, etc.

Last edited:
Definitely not. But we've played them both years and the results show that last year's offense for Toledo was better as well. Still a good offense this year.

I agree the offense was clearly better last year but Toledo averaged more points per game this year compared to last year. That is why I am not the biggest fan of that stat. However, I agree with your main point that Toledo isn't some scrub team on offense. I think Diaz leaving is an easier fix than the offense at this point though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He was a good defensive coordinator.
He wasn’t perfect, but his defenses improved every year he was at Miami.
That is all I have to say abou that.

His defense has it's faults.

Yet, Diaz and the defense this year. Did what you would expect them to do against the teams they played.

I could see saying something if they **** the bed against this schedule but at the end of the day. They pulled the weight that was expected to be pulled.

Manny improved over last year and I am one of his harshest critics. I give him props the D improved however I still in the camp that Manny is an average DC at best. We will be just fine with the right hire and we might also be more fundamentally sound in scheme as well.

The offense is an entirely different issue. I am beginning to see no hope with Rick’s stubbornness and ignorance in addressing the issue.

Advertisement
Back