Camp Report Day 6

CaneCounty

Senior
@flasportsbuzz:Richt today cited roster concern of his: not enough flat out speed at WR, players who can challenge their young CBs deep in practice.

When I asked Mark Richt today about what I would consider the biggest concern on the roster (cornerback), it surprisingly led to Richt disclosing another personnel issue that worries him: the lack of high-end speed at receiver.

“We need to recruit wide receivers with flat-out speed,” he said. “We need more guys who can flat out go.”

Richt said the lack of speed is making it difficult to test his young corners in practice, that they're sitting on routes because "they're not afraid of anyone running by them." He said the three incoming freshmen receivers (Ahmmon Richards, Sam Bruce and Dionte Mullins) will help.

• As for the cornerback situation, Corn Elder is the only returnee with substantial experience, as many of you know. And among the four young scholarship cornerbacks already on campus, it’s no surprise that Sheldrick Redwine has been the most impressive.

“Sheldrick Redwine has done a good job stepping it up,” cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph said, when asked which of the young corners has impressed him. “We’re all young except for Corn Elder. Sheldrick shows some play-making ability. Just focusing in with a sense of urgency. He’s been doing well.”

Rumph said he rotated his six corners in the first week of spring practice. But in three practices this week, Elder and Redwine worked with the starters, Michael Jackson and Ryan Mayes with the twos, and Terrence Henley and walk-on Tyler Murphy with the threes.

“Every now and then, those two and three reps will change depending on their productivity throughout the week,” Rumph said.

Jackson could emerge as the No. 3 corner.

“Mike is doing well,” Rumph said. “Just working on continuing being confident in the technique. Sometime, he might not be confident, sometime he might be confident. Just try to have him be more consistent when he gets his opportunities.”

Of UM’s four incoming freshmen defensive backs, Malek Young is the only cornerback. “I’m very excited about him,” Rumph said. “He’ll take us to seven corners.”

UM added Adrian Colbert (a safety transfer from the University of Texas) and is open to adding a cornerback transfer, but there’s nothing imminent on that front.

Rumph said there have not been safeties cross-training at corner.

“Not yet, but I would love to have Jaquan Johnson over there at corner because he is just so athletic. But for now, he’s just learning the defense. I think I’m going to work some of the safeties and some corners with some press work, but other than that, we’re just going to stay corner/safety as of now.”

Overall, Rumph said "I feel a lot better" about his group after two weeks of practice "because they’re open to the teaching. We’ve got a plan where these kids can play fast, don’t have to do a tremendous amount of thinking and can just fly to the ball."

• Quick stuff: Asked who has stood out so far, Richt mentioned one name: defensive end Al Quadin Muhammad. “AQM plays so hard every down,” Richt said…

Trent Harris said he has been moved from a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker position under Mark D’Onofrio to a pure defensive end position under Manny Diaz. He said he’s more comfortable at defensive end…

With Sonny Odogwu limited in spring ball because of injury, four-star sophomore Tyree St. Louis said he has been the first-team right tackle throughout spring ball.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Only one with any burners is Stacy coley, this is what I expected especially while only having 5 scholarship receivers playing in the spring. Help is on the way over the next few months though

Advertisement
Don't worry that's going to change...just look at who we're targeting at WR

[MENTION=5266]CanesFootball[/MENTION] fans, [MENTION=11449]Mark[/MENTION]Richt said DE Quan Muhammad is relentless (and basically ferocious) at getting to the QB. #Sacks

[MENTION=5266]CanesFootball[/MENTION] fans, [MENTION=11449]Mark[/MENTION]Richt said DE Quan Muhammad is relentless (and basically ferocious) at getting to the QB. #Sacks

Probably the player I'm most excited about. He had 5 sacks last year in a patty cake system and bad coaching. I expect atleast 10 sacks this year from him. Which should at the very least put him in the late 1st early 2nd round of the draft.

Advertisement
Miami should have three burners on the field at any given time. We got one in bama and the other at gaters. We're going to need at least 2 to break out in fall, Bruce, Richards or Mullins. 2017 WR commits Dingle or Scott are burners, so we have to have at least one burner for the next class. They'll hold us over until 2018 when D. Wiggins and J. Patterson come. Both deep threats.

Miami should have three burners on the field at any given time. We got one in bama and the other at gaters. We're going to need at least 2 to break out in fall, Bruce, Richards or Mullins. 2017 WR commits Dingle or Scott are burners, so we have to have at least one burner for the next class. They'll hold us over until 2018 when D. Wiggins and J. Patterson come. Both deep threats.

Shawn smith and Juedy can be classified as burners, especially Shawn Smith

Get Harley

Advertisement
@flasportsbuzz:Richt today cited roster concern of his: not enough flat out speed at WR, players who can challenge their young CBs deep in practice.

Wow!
You must respect Richt's honesty. Glad he's telling it as he sees it.
**** Golden!

rodney scott gon make the cut ?

Advertisement
How ironic Richts mentions "Speed" a concern at Miami!!?

Speed is one thing the Miami Hurricanes should NOT lack in.... Real Talk!

rodney scott gon make the cut ?
yea, you need possession guys just as much as speed but we are lacking speed. I'm actually not surprised hearing that. Cager, Langham, and Malcolm could all be considered possession guys.

Last edited:

Disagree Smith being a burner with 4.61 forty as opposed to someone like Scott who is at 4.5...All in all I think Richt assumed we had some 4.4 guys and a couple of sub 4.4's which is not on the present roster...

Advertisement
Back