Camp Narrative Misdirection

Advertisement
I’m not an expert and have never been to a pro or college training camp, but in general having watched sports for my whole life, my observation has been the beat reporters buy the fluff and the coaches, who knows. I think nobody knows until the lights come on. Too many camp stars are just guys. They’ll either be good or not.

The one thing I do pay attention to is the bad news because that’s usually a good indicator. Who’s not in shape, who’s making mistakes. But we’ve got a lot of greentree hall of famers in our recent history and a very low percentage have even been solid college players.

Screenshot_20220904-132544_Samsung Internet.jpg

Lmao.

Advertisement
Just a general question. Do you think some of news coming out of camp were just false narratives? Or was this initial game just an anomaly? Dropped passes was one of the biggest things coming out of camp, and isn’t something that just fixes itself in a few weeks time… But our WRs played lights out yesterday. The secondary was meant to be up there as one of our strongest units on defense, but they got exposed a bit by a FCS team.

I’m not saying this is what we’re going to be the remainder of the season, just wondering if staff is driving what comes out so that our focus shifts to non existent issues.

I will say I was pretty impressed with teams performance overall yesterday, but just interesting seeing the reality of our deficiencies vs what we were told in the off-season.

Also interested to see how the team performs next week. This is when coaching really takes place. We’re in good hands!
They tried to get alot of players in the game v BCC, i would venture to say that had alot to do with the miscommunication in the secondary. I would need couple more games to make a judgement on their play. Also we didn't throw many passes, or even deep passes. Our offense was as vanilla as it came,same thing for the defense. Those short passes won't be able to get many yards v better opps. It's the deep ball we need to step up on and then we will see what we made off

I don’t think our game plan is going to differ much tbh. We ran and threw for 300 yards each yesterday - “perfectly balanced, as all things should be.” That’s the identity of the offense: stay ahead of the chains, efficient/high percentage passes, capitalize on red zone trips.

I’d rather score 40 running 4 verts all day rather than scoring 70 running a coherent big league offense.

Tell someone to call up the pirate, Miami needs a gun show

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a general question. Do you think some of news coming out of camp were just false narratives? Or was this initial game just an anomaly? Dropped passes was one of the biggest things coming out of camp, and isn’t something that just fixes itself in a few weeks time… But our WRs played lights out yesterday. The secondary was meant to be up there as one of our strongest units on defense, but they got exposed a bit by a FCS team.

I’m not saying this is what we’re going to be the remainder of the season, just wondering if staff is driving what comes out so that our focus shifts to non existent issues.

I will say I was pretty impressed with teams performance overall yesterday, but just interesting seeing the reality of our deficiencies vs what we were told in the off-season.

Also interested to see how the team performs next week. This is when coaching really takes place. We’re in good hands!
If anything yesterday proved it was true. The offense was built around the run, te’s and X. Parrish in the pass game. I don’t think wr is as bad as the narrative got but it was a legit issue in camp and spring. There’s been improvement but it’s one of the areas where confidence isn’t sky high. It’s a work in progress.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They caught every pass that was thrown to them. Everyone said that Gattis’ offense mostly targets the middle of the field and the outside receivers weren’t going to get a huge number of targets. That was certainly the case yesterday. Still all we heard from camp was “the receivers drop too many passes”. Ladson, Redding, K Smith and Brinson all caught passes and none of them dropped a single ball.
Dropping balls and separation was the issue. But as I said last week these guys weren’t dropping balls last spring and fall. Which tells me there was more thinking than playing. We don’t have a dog in that room but I think they’re good enough. X is a mismatch but d’s will make other guys beat them. The te’s and X will get the focus. Make Smith, Redding , George and the other guys win 1 v1.

Dropping balls and separation was the issue. But as I said last week these guys weren’t dropping balls last spring and fall. Which tells me there was more thinking than playing. We don’t have a dog in that room but I think they’re good enough. X is a mismatch but d’s will make other guys beat them. The te’s and X will get the focus. Make Smith, Redding , George and the other guys win 1 v1.
Redding was open a ton yesterday. I was really impressed with how well he played. I don’t see any of those outside guys having a monster year but we’ve got capable guys. Even Ladson looked solid and he was the fall camp whipping boy

Advertisement
If they’re saving it, they’re to regret it.

You have to get in-game reps against opponents who haven’t seen it all camp.

Rolling out some secret formations or game plan for the first time against TAMU would be a mistake.

Yeah! We sure don't want to stun or surprise them!

And we sure don't want them thinking all they have to do is shut down UM's running game!

Because we know for sure - is our receivers drop the balls thrown to them. Per Mario!

Advertisement
Yeah! We sure don't want to stun or surprise them!

And we sure don't want them thinking all they have to do is shut down UM's running game!

Because we know for sure - is our receivers drop the balls thrown to them. Per Mario!

It doesn’t have to be the exact formation.

But you do need to practice the concepts and different looks you’d get from different opponents/attack angles.

If they’re saving it, they’re to regret it.

You have to get in-game reps against opponents who haven’t seen it all camp.

Rolling out some secret formations or game plan for the first time against TAMU would be a mistake.

We will see more next weekend. We had short successful drives. How much more did y’all want to throw the ball?

Yes, Rahd the Impaler created a Kent-esque 1st Hurricane Training Group on Greentree complete with look alike players and inflatable corches.

Meanwhile the real Miami Hurricanes were practicing on Mr. Han's private Island.

They playing 3d chess while other teams playing pickup sticks.

Last edited:
I don’t ever want to act like coaches are infallible

But it does feel good knowing the opinions posted on this board won’t be more insightful than the ones behind closed doors with our coaches

Refreshing

Advertisement
Back