Camp Narrative Misdirection

Bearly

Baloo's illegitimate Offspring (Bear Snow)
Just a general question. Do you think some of news coming out of camp were just false narratives? Or was this initial game just an anomaly? Dropped passes was one of the biggest things coming out of camp, and isn’t something that just fixes itself in a few weeks time… But our WRs played lights out yesterday. The secondary was meant to be up there as one of our strongest units on defense, but they got exposed a bit by a FCS team.

I’m not saying this is what we’re going to be the remainder of the season, just wondering if staff is driving what comes out so that our focus shifts to non existent issues.

I will say I was pretty impressed with teams performance overall yesterday, but just interesting seeing the reality of our deficiencies vs what we were told in the off-season.

Also interested to see how the team performs next week. This is when coaching really takes place. We’re in good hands!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Didn't need to open up the playbook. We're saving it for TAMU.
I'm just saying they didn't play "lights out". Don't think we know yet what we have at WR outside of X.

And I expect a lot of TE and RB involvement in the passing game and that happened yesterday

Advertisement
Didn't need to open up the playbook. We're saving it for TAMU.
Why we the only team "saving the playbook"? Teams seem to run their stuff regardless, plus others have said we will mainly be a team that throws to restrepo, TE and backs.. Thats what I saw, so it matches up.. I saw bama play a cupcake with Texas coming up and they have talent to save the playbook but they threw ball around.. We have an NFL QB I was told, let your horses run..

Those outside guys need game reps too, they barely got a bone..

Advertisement
I'm just saying they didn't play "lights out". Don't think we know yet what we have at WR outside of X.

And I expect a lot of TE and RB involvement in the passing game and that happened yesterday

Maybe “lights out” was too strong a phrase, but the group as whole did go 12/12. And maybe this is our offense the entire season. Point was I didn’t see a drop.

As it turns out Mario has actually fielded an entire shadow team with look a likes of all the players, that’s why they don’t allow the media in viewing sessions to get too close. Therefore, all film and reports are pure misdirection so no team has any idea what’s coming.

As it turns out Mario has actually fielded an entire shadow team with look a likes of all the players, that’s why they don’t allow the media in viewing sessions to get too close. Therefore, all film and reports are pure misdirection so no team has any idea what’s coming.

I freaking knew it!

Why we the only team "saving the playbook"? Teams seem to run their stuff regardless, plus others have said we will mainly be a team that throws to restrepo, TE and backs.. Thats what I saw, so it matches up.. I saw bama play a cupcake with Texas coming up and they have talent to save the playbook but they threw ball around.. We have an NFL QB I was told, let your horses run..

A lot of that was because of the defense. BCU’s defensive backs were bailing out and giving our guys huge cushions. The smart play was not to throw the ball deep yesterday. We can force it just to force it but a smart play caller like Gattis believes that whatever you give him, he will take and beat you. He believes his offense can’t be stopped, not because it does something really well, but because it does everything well. Like an NFL team.
How did teams slow down Mahomes last year? Simple, keep 2 safeties back and and make him throw underneath.

We could have thrown the ball to Ladson many times on that simply out route he was running because the DB was 5-7 yards off. But that same defense is why it didn’t make sense to throw deep yesterday. In the near future, likely TAM, our receivers will be challenged by DB’s playing in their face. I agree that it would be nice to get that practice before the TAM game, but that needs to happen in practice and not by calling bad plays in game.

Advertisement
Just a general question. Do you think some of news coming out of camp were just false narratives? Or was this initial game just an anomaly? Dropped passes was one of the biggest things coming out of camp, and isn’t something that just fixes itself in a few weeks time… But our WRs played lights out yesterday. The secondary was meant to be up there as one of our strongest units on defense, but they got exposed a bit by a FCS team.

I’m not saying this is what we’re going to be the remainder of the season, just wondering if staff is driving what comes out so that our focus shifts to non existent issues.

I will say I was pretty impressed with teams performance overall yesterday, but just interesting seeing the reality of our deficiencies vs what we were told in the off-season.

Also interested to see how the team performs next week. This is when coaching really takes place. We’re in good hands!
Never go full camp reports

Just had this convos with another poster in a different thread. I was saying the lack of throws to outside receivers was alarming. There were literally 3 I remember 2 short passes to Ladson and 1 short pass to Redding. The poster told me those game reps don't matter because he is sure we practice it against our ones on D. I'm with you the outside guys need that confidence that's comes from in game execution

Congrats on the 62 yard catch xr7....BUT if you're the leader of the wr corps try keeping your feet off out of bounds line. Tia.

Advertisement

To early to tell

I wonder if these week they could concentrate on the running game, and next week throw more, working more on pass protection next week. WR’s caught what was thrown. TE’s weren’t used a whole lot, and we know they’ll be a big part of the offense.

Our WRs (outside of X) barely did anything more than block and decoy yesterday.
They caught every pass that was thrown to them. Everyone said that Gattis’ offense mostly targets the middle of the field and the outside receivers weren’t going to get a huge number of targets. That was certainly the case yesterday. Still all we heard from camp was “the receivers drop too many passes”. Ladson, Redding, K Smith and Brinson all caught passes and none of them dropped a single ball.

If they’re saving it, they’re to regret it.

You have to get in-game reps against opponents who haven’t seen it all camp.

Rolling out some secret formations or game plan for the first time against TAMU would be a mistake.
Gattis needs to have a balance approach againts So Miss for sure

Advertisement
Back