Cam Ward to Portal

Advertisement

Not sure if this is true or not about Arch Manning, but Brock Purdy is making $870k this year, and he still has 2 MORE years on his rookie contract.

By the end of next year, his THIRD, he will have made about $2.6mil.

Cam Ward is being offered $2mil+ to for ONE YEAR of college football.

I know there's other variables and Brock is an extreme example since he was the very last pick, but he also got the starting job out of pure luck (just like Tom Brady).

Don’t forget that Purdy makes millions from endorsements. He’s a lead pitchman for Toyota in the Bay Area as well as Alaska Airlines. Arch Manning does not make more money than Brock Purdy.

Advertisement
Don’t forget that Purdy makes millions from endorsements. He’s a lead pitchman for Toyota in the Bay Area as well as Alaska Airlines. Arch Manning does not make more money than Brock Purdy.
Considering the state of Texas has zero income tax and California has the best government gangsters on the planet, I would say if the numbers are accurate, its entirely possible that more money is going in Arch's pocket.

Considering the state of Texas has zero income tax and California has the best government gangsters on the planet, I would say if the numbers are accurate, its entirely possible that more money is going in Arch's pocket.
No, the numbers are not accurate. The tweet isn’t even considering what Purdy makes from endorsements; it’s only his NFL salary.

Advertisement
No, the numbers are not accurate. The tweet isn’t even considering what Purdy makes from endorsements; it’s only his NFL salary.
We don’t know the numbers. I’m just saying, Purdy is getting taxed at 49.1% total. If Arch is getting the 3 million, I’d still say it’s comparable.

Not sure if this is true or not about Arch Manning, but Brock Purdy is making $870k this year, and he still has 2 MORE years on his rookie contract.

By the end of next year, his THIRD, he will have made about $2.6mil.

Cam Ward is being offered $2mil+ to for ONE YEAR of college football.

I know there's other variables and Brock is an extreme example since he was the very last pick, but he also got the starting job out of pure luck (just like Tom Brady).

I wonder if that is accurate. It was previously reported Manning would not take any NIL deals unless he won the starting job at Texas.

Last edited:
Colbie Young, not George. And he's likely to sign with either UGA or Penn State. We'll see if he gets his $500K deal.

The NFL likely supports these NIL deals. It keeps kids in college longer so the NFL has more data on their draft picks and players have more knowledge and experience prior to entering the NFL.
Wait until the four years only of eligibility rule is sued out of existence, and players can stay at school for a decade. Then the NFL may become less enthused as their talent dries up.

That’s actually an interesting question…in that environment could CFB outspend the NFL in competition for athletes?

Last edited:
While I believe the NIL System is fair for the kids and the Big Schools, and is a good bet for the League (the Minor League Principle), I think the Smaller Schools are going to come under pressure because of their anemic Bag Game.

That's why I think the smaller universities and HSBC's will eventually go running to Congress to "bring relief" and some sort of federal regulation to the system. The deep pocketed schools will still be able to do what they are doing now, because they can afford the lobbyists, but this is the way it's headed, I fear.

Where there's gobs of money sloshing around, the politicians are soon to round the corner, looking for their cut.
The only ways to do this are:

1) Maximum wage law targeted only at college students
2) Unionization and collective bargaining with college athletes

Canes with legal experience can chime in, but I think the biggest problem with instituting a targeted maximum wage law would be political - ie you are targeting students and not coaches or CEOs.

Advertisement
Wait until the four years only of eligibility rule is sued out of existence, and players can stay at school for a decade. Then the NFL may become less enthused as their talent dries up.

That’s actually an interesting question…in that environment could CFB outspend the NFL in competition for athletes?

Fascinating concept. I need to think about this for a while before responding to it.

bored dave chappelle GIF

Advertisement
We don’t know the numbers. I’m just saying, Purdy is getting taxed at 49.1% total. If Arch is getting the 3 million, I’d still say it’s comparable.
No, it’s not. The tweet is only considering Purdy’s NFL salary and NOT his endorsements. Purdy has multiple endorsement deals with Toyota and Alaskan Airlines (among others). The tweet is comparing Arch’s total earnings vs ONLY Purdy’s salary (not including endorsements). If the tweet included Purdy’s endorsements, it’s not close.

And what are talking about with the 49.1%?

No, it’s not. The tweet is only considering Purdy’s NFL salary and NOT his endorsements. Purdy has multiple endorsement deals with Toyota and Alaskan Airlines (among others). The tweet is comparing Arch’s total earnings vs ONLY Purdy’s salary (not including endorsements). If the tweet included Purdy’s endorsements, it’s not close.

And what are talking about with the 49.1%?
I assume fed tax rate of 37% and Cali income tax of 12% for the highest brackets

Advertisement
Back