Cam Ward to Portal

You will never see a better movie QB than Shane Falco
This guy says hi.

1702358371209.jpeg

Advertisement
I've gone back and forth on this a bunch but, assuming both guys want in, I'd lean Howard. The double digit INT's are concerning but I do think he gives us more of a RPO threat than Ward does and that's something that Dawson clearly wants to do, but couldn't, with TVD.

Ward is by far the more dynamic passer but he's also not the run threat that Howard is, and the record at Wazzu the past two seasons (5-7/7-5) in a weak Pac-12 is a bigger yellow flag to me than Howard's Int's totals. You'd also like to see some success had in bigger games and there were a lot of empty calorie performances this past year, especially in terms of yardage, against the likes of Oregon, ASU and Cal, and his most productive outings were early in the year against Colorado St, Northern Colorado and then Oregon St. I didn't exactly see a kid that often willed his team to wins, which is what we've sorely been missing at the QB position for the past two decades+.

Meanwhile, Howard won a Big 12 title a season ago and had his best performance of this past year against a playoff team, on the road, nearly bringing his team all the way back from a 20 point deficit and forcing OT. The outgoing version of Big 12 isn't the SEC by any means, but it's probably a nudge up in competition from what he'll see in the ACC, and I think his game may translate more than Ward's might at this point.

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth on this a bunch but, assuming both guys want in, I'd lean Howard.
It's hard to say since I've only watched highlights and looked at stats. Cam Ward was sacked so many times I have to think he would put up way better numbers with time to pass.

Has anyone watched either player's full games? Did Ward take sacks too easily or was his OL terrible? Were the ints because of pressure or bad throws like TVD?

Advertisement
It's hard to say since I've only watched highlights and looked at stats. Cam Ward was sacked so many times I have to think he would put up way better numbers with time to pass.

Has anyone watched either player's full games? Did Ward take sacks too easily or was his OL terrible? Were the ints because of pressure or bad throws like TVD?
They gave up 38 sacks but are also were 17th in plays per game, so the data is probably skewed a bit. I'm sure the mistakes were a combo of all the above. That said, KSU was 11th in plays per game and Howard wasn't nearly sacked a much yet threw 3 more INT's.

They gave up 38 sacks but are also were 17th in plays per game, so the data is probably skewed a bit. I'm sure the mistakes were a combo of all the above. That said, KSU was 11th in plays per game and Howard wasn't nearly sacked a much yet threw 3 more INT's.
Only 8.2% more plays per game than Miami. If we had the same, we'd have given up 15-16 sacks instead of 14. And at least one of those was a self sack by TVD

Advertisement
I've gone back and forth on this a bunch but, assuming both guys want in, I'd lean Howard. The double digit INT's are concerning but I do think he gives us more of a RPO threat than Ward does and that's something that Dawson clearly wants to do, but couldn't, with TVD.

Ward is by far the more dynamic passer but he's also not the run threat that Howard is, and the record at Wazzu the past two seasons (5-7/7-5) in a weak Pac-12 is a bigger yellow flag to me than Howard's Int's totals. You'd also like to see some success had in bigger games and there were a lot of empty calorie performances this past year, especially in terms of yardage, against the likes of Oregon, ASU and Cal, and his most productive outings were early in the year against Colorado St, Northern Colorado and then Oregon St. I didn't exactly see a kid that often willed his team to wins, which is what we've sorely been missing at the QB position for the past two decades+.

Meanwhile, Howard won a Big 12 title a season ago and had his best performance of this past year against a playoff team, on the road, nearly bringing his team all the way back from a 20 point deficit and forcing OT. The outgoing version of Big 12 isn't the SEC by any means, but it's probably a nudge up in competition from what he'll see in the ACC, and I think his game may translate more than Ward's might at this point.
Rpo doesn’t require the qb to run. I don’t think some of you know the difference between rpo and read option

Advertisement
Advertisement

This past season the PAC-12 was way more competitive than the BIG 12

Advertisement
Back