Cam McCormick, TE, Oregon

Advertisement
He better be the best blocking TE we have had here in quite some time. As bad as Mallory was in that department in his time here, it’d be refreshing to have someone even average when it comes to blocking. The age doesn’t bother me, it’s all just jokes but if he can contribute and truly help us up front then I don’t hate it. We should have been more aggressive with other TE’s though.

Something to keep in mind here- we have signed Elijah Arroyo, Jaleel Skinner and Riley Williams in consecutive years. We also landed a receiver-turned-TE in Kahlil Brantley and a high-upside athlete in Jackson Carver.

This is not a position starved for receiving talent. They need a trusted veteran to hold down the fort while Arroyo recovers (and maybe contribute as a blocker after Arroyo returns). McCormick can also help on special teams.

Advertisement
16 catches total in 8 years? This guy is the Udonis Haslem of College Football and must bring A+ locker room leadership and credentials!

Something to keep in mind here- we have signed Elijah Arroyo, Jaleel Skinner and Riley Williams in consecutive years. We also landed a receiver-turned-TE in Kahlil Brantley and a high-upside athlete in Jackson Carver.

This is not a position starved for receiving talent. They need a trusted veteran to hold down the fort while Arroyo recovers (and maybe contribute as a blocker after Arroyo returns). McCormick can also help on special teams.

I think people underestimate the DEPTH problem we have. It's not just "hey we signed two 5* OTs, we're fine now!" We have to revamp the entire 2nd and 3rd team as well. Scholarships #70-85 need an infusion just as much as the starting 22. It's not whether this kid is better than Arroyo - it's is he better than Mammarelli? Or at least does he upgrade the locker room? If he does then sign him up. The roster needs to turn over completely.

Also Mammarelli...or is that only for the time being?

I agree with you.

Some here are not understanding that not every portal transfer needs to be someone's former stud. In this case, Miami just needs an old fashioned, overaged, in-line tight end to complete the room. These types are not going to be highly rated players with impressive statistics.

NFL Teams collect these kind of TEs every year and usually slot them in as their TE3 and they play in-line, jumbo packages, play in the "fullback" role, and if they can do more...cool. The Chris Manhertz type. And you can find these types of guys in some oddball places...sometimes they don't even play football...they are basketball players (Manhertz played basketball at Canisius, for example...and has played almost a decade in the NFL catching only 24 passes).

These are not going to be impressive portal gets, but they are important teambuilding, roster construction players.

Advertisement
We should have been able to land a higher caliber of TE than an 8th year senior who’s likely only getting a look here due to his familiarity with our head coach.

It’s not that big of a deal to add Van Wilder at TE, though, compared to our ongoing issues at other premium positions.

Miami is looking for a veteran TE with size to bolster the room as Arroyo works his way back from injury.

Cam McCormick from Oregon is a guy who can take some snaps in-line and shore up the depth.
I would think the NiL deal here will be low because he’s already getting his Social Security check

More physical than Mallory? To be seen.

img_1183.jpg

Advertisement
Any chance this is just a courtesy visit like Seven Mcgehee and Mario will not sign him?

This is why Im not freaking out at all.

Would be nice adding a greybeard (yes, fitting in this case) to the room. Brings some physicality and toughness to the position.

Advertisement
We need a blocking TE in this offense. I think it makes a lot of sense to bring him in, and that's all he'll be expected to do. Mammarelli might go because of it, but it'll be refreshing to see a TE that can block after watching Mallory fail so miserably at it last season.

If this guy managed to tick the system and play for 8 years he deserves a spot on any team he wishes to play for.

Advertisement
Back