Cam Davis not enrolling until summer B

I just don't see how Davis is gonna get many carries this season maybe he could get some burn on special teams? Might be a good candidate for red shirting but could also see him making an impact like homer did his freshman year on special teams

Advertisement
I love Davis as a prospect and think he can help immediately on special teams. However, this is basically best case scenario if I had to pick a commit who couldn't enroll during Summer A. We are LOADED at RB and him coming in July won't change much, if anything.
We are literally 4 deep at RB (without Davis), 2 deep at FB, and to add to the previous mentioned 6 resources, every QB on our roster is a running threat. There is not enough carries for everyone in the same season.

Just to be clear, I am a huge fan of Cam and was/am beyond elated that he was the second RB in this class. However, he is an excellent red-shirt candidate, especially during a year when depth is not an issue.

Wiggins falls into this same category as it relates to WR.

You're absolutely right and I agree on that. BUT there's no sense in burning Davis' redshirt until we have a problem with Burns. We're literally talking about RB #4 here.

I am with @k9cane, there is no sense in redshirting a quality running back these days, if he is any good, you'll never get 4 or 5 years out of him.

It might have an effect, especially if his enrollment gets pushed back again to August. And we can't overlook the influence that—that that effect or effects, might have on something.

Either way, it's tough to believe that he'd be any better than 4th string. However, I'd rather he returns kicks than either Thomas or Homer.

This right here. Outside of a undeniable home run hitter (no pun intended) there is no reason for your starterbto be returning kicks or punts. To much risk for the minimal reward it often generates.

Advertisement
If MR decides to use all our RB's ala the way Butch Davis did...the more the merrier to wear defenses down and keep the offense on the field...resting our D.

any talented RB should be put on the field right away, nowadays. If you get any type of production from them, they aren't staying 4-5 years....

Until proven otherwise, he's got at least 3 guys in front of him. Not knocking the kid, but I wouldn't expect to see him on offense this year.

Until proven otherwise, he's got at least 3 guys in front of him. Not knocking the kid, but I wouldn't expect to see him on offense this year.

I dont disagree but many RB's are expected to play on various special teams units(Mark Walton being a recent example), either as a returner or gunner-type - and he certainly has the speed to make an impact somewhere

Advertisement
I dont disagree but many RB's are expected to play on various special teams units(Mark Walton being a recent example), either as a returner or gunner-type - and he certainly has the speed to make an impact somewhere

That's why I specified offense. Hopefully he will make an immediate impact on ST, but there just isn't much point in a 4th or 5th RB until somebody gets hurt. Maybe he will be one of the top 3, but if not I don't see him on the field this season.

Maybe, roster is not the same as when Walton was forced, which he excelled at it, but would not be surprised if he does redshirt. However, if he has the same attitude as walton and homer, play him!!!

His ability as a pass catcher could get him on the field at some point.

Richt/Brown ran Walton into the ground until he broke last year, and I fear they might do the same with Homer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What makes you think Homer leaves early ? I keep seeing people say this . To me he seems like the type to stay for his senior year

RB's have such a short shelf life in the NFL. If Homer has a similar year to last and goes over 1,000 yards, which I'd expect him to, he should go.

Am I the only one struggling to see how and why Davis should touch the field this year? At RB, I’m taking all 4 RBs ahead of him and maybe Atkins too. At KR, I’m taking Thomas, Dallas, Bethel, Pope, or Hall. I just don’t see where he gets in.

No, you're not the only one.

Good for him though. This is his last opportunity to be truly young as it's about to get real as a full-time college athlete student.

I don't like January entries for that reason alone. You have an entire lifetime ahead of you, why rush it? Yes, I get the more prepared as an athlete, but whatever. You can ball, it doesn't matter when you arrive.

Advertisement
Am I the only one struggling to see how and why Davis should touch the field this year? At RB, I’m taking all 4 RBs ahead of him and maybe Atkins too. At KR, I’m taking Thomas, Dallas, Bethel, Pope, or Hall. I just don’t see where he gets in.
You say Bethel and I start imagining Pat’s big *** back there.

His ability as a pass catcher could get him on the field at some point.

Richt/Brown ran Walton into the ground until he broke last year, and I fear they might do the same with Homer.
56 rushes in 4 games is running him into the ground? Man you must be pillow soft

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back