Call me crazy

Dash

Band
Banned
But I truly believe Courtel Jenkins will be a better player when all is said and done than Travonte Valentine. Certainly better for what we run here, and for the NFL. Kid gives unreal effort, is a natural one gap-and-hold DT, who already has instincts of when to shed, how to shed, and then kill the ball carrier. While I don't back 2-gapping in the traditional sense, he has the skill set needed, and is significantly more athletically built than I originally thought.

Valentine looks to me like a classic South Florida elite DT, but if you look at the size of the kids he's going against I just don't see what is so impressive. Don't see the technique, shedding ability, moves. Uses his quickness and size advantage to blow things up before they start. That quickness and size advantage diminishes on the next level, and is nearly useless in today's NFL.

I say all this as a person who has made multiple emails to our AD about how unhappy I am with the state of the U, and someone who doesn't support the defensive system at all. But I cannot watch film of both those kids and not come out thinking Jenkins is going to be the better player.

I'm not blown away by the two JUCOs, but they will at worst provide some size and strength, and competition. Moten seems like a solid player as well.

Advertisement
Valentine had a really good all-star performance & suddenly became the next Cortez Kennedy. Not sure if he ends up better but Jenkins is a stud.

Valentine is a beast. But I like Jenkins a lot to. Looks to be the run stuffer we desperately need.

Advertisement
lol god I hate um fans..... No. Valentine is a future top 15 pick if he stays focused.

Jenkins looks like a good one though

lol god I hate um fans..... No. Valentine is a future top 15 pick if he stays focused.

Jenkins looks like a good one though

Hey more power to the kid if he ends up that good. I just don't see it. He looks exciting b/c he is in the backfield every play, against tiny kids. Believe it or not, that type of play ends up working against you as you get further up the food chain.

Reminds me a lot of Marcus Forston. Very rarely do those type of DTs reach their expectations.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's all about projection with Valentine. He's agile and athletic in ways that guys his size shouldn't be. He relied on that in high school and was able to dominate. If he's coached properly, which he most likely will be, he'll continue to be dominant with technique to go along with his freak athleticism.

I do like Courtel, though, and think that he will be very good for us.

I think Valentine has more potential and definitely could be a star, but I see Jenkins having less chance of being a bust. He may not have all the potential of Valentine, but i love the effort he puts in and the way he plays and I definitely think he can be a stud here.

Advertisement
194.gif

Advertisement
Other than his star rating, I'd like to hear the coaches in here tell me exactly why Valentine is so notably better.

I'd like to hear specific comparisons b/c I just don't see it.

Golden Rule

any signed recruit > any recruit that signed somewhere else

//and your batshi_t crazy

Advertisement
Back