California seeking to ban tackle football for children under 12

LA and California is a joke. They have destroyed this place. San Fran is horrific and if I never went back it wouldn’t be too soon which is sad. I’d move home to Miami but can’t currently. Was a great spot but they crippled it unfortunately.

Advertisement
hahahah very funny @LoungeLord ! Yup you got me. I’m relying on my son to take care of me! I can’t wait for that NIL money to roll in and be a first round draft pick in the NFL. Man you are so smart!

Actually for your reference because you obviously are a well versed successful individual who is a pillar of the community and extremely philanthropic and probably already retired at 40 - l want my children to pursue activities that empowers them and allows them to shine. Football wasn’t my first choice but it’s what my son loves and I honestly believe it will help him get into a good college and I’m not talking D1 Power 5 or G5. I have zero expectations. I’m talking about a great school that could be lower level but allow him to grow and become a successful man in life. Not football. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get into schools these days?? Oh wait I forgot you’re above my lower intelligence and probably graduated from a top 10 school and look down on me because I got a full scholarship and more scholarships and then some to attend a state school and go to Miami for my masters and law degree. I’m guess I’m not at your academic or intelligence level!!!!

Think banning helmet tackle under 10 makes sense for sure. 12 years old is what 7th grade? So 2yrs before hs. This won’t stunt player development lol. It mostly affects ol/dl/lb/rb.

This will increase the popularity of flag/7v7, and **** maybe we get some rugby players.

Opening session of 2024 California legislature:

First bill to consider: How to end homelessness in the state? Result: Tabled, that would take real balls to tackle (pun intended)

Second bill to consider: What to do about high income taxpayers leaving the state in droves? Result: Tabled, we dont want to help anybody rich, say anyone making $50K+ a year.

Third bill to consider: Ban on tackle football? Result: YES, this scores extremely high on the Wokeness/ESG peter, PASS

California lawmakers seeking to ban tackle football for children under 12 years old earned a victory on Wednesday, but the war is far from over.

The bill that would ban tackle football for pre-teens in the state, which was authored by Democratic Assembly member Kevin McCarty, had its first public hearing before a legislative committee on Wednesday. The Assembly committee that regulates sports voted 5-2 to send the bill to the full chamber.

While the bill cleared its first hurdle, there are larger ones ahead. Now the full Assembly will vote on the bill and only has until January to approve it. If it votes to approve the bill it then goes to the Senate before Gov. Gavin Newsom would have the final say if it ultimately lands on his desk.

According to the AP, the ban, if passed, would be gradually phased in, prohibiting children under six starting in 2025, under 10 in 2027 and those under 12 in 2029.

So, I just wanted to get everyone’s opinion on this. I already know where I stand, but it would be interesting to hear where you guys are at on this, especially fathers. Even though it’s only Cali right now, you could definitely see a scenario where this starts to spread nationwide.
About six or seven years ago I remember reading in an article about
how support for tackle football was beginning to break along traditional progression / conservative directions, with the former becoming against it for health concerns.

Advertisement
And some more recent articles:

Everyone’s talking about the potential injuries but no one’s talking about what the game does for kids.

1. Teaches them hard work and discipline
2. Humbles them
3. How to work with others
4. Spatial awareness
5. Gives them purpose as cheesey as it sounds
6. Social aspect. Majority of my friends I made were from playing football as a kid starting in 2nd grade

Think banning helmet tackle under 10 makes sense for sure. 12 years old is what 7th grade? So 2yrs before hs. This won’t stunt player development lol. It mostly affects ol/dl/lb/rb.

This will increase the popularity of flag/7v7, and **** maybe we get some rugby players.
Looks like 11 yo would be end 5th grade. Definitely 11 heading into 6th grade. Oldest ban says under 12, right?

Looks like 11 yo would be end 5th grade. Definitely 11 heading into 6th grade. Oldest ban says under 12, right?
Yeah under 12 in like 2027 or something I think it said. I really don't see this as too bad. Like I'd say 6th/7th is probably the right time to protect their developing brains. If anyone has actually gone and watched peewee football where they straight up look like bobble heads and have no comprehension how to not hit with your helmet first, they may feel different when it's their kid. For My nephews who would be complaining about headaches after games at 8... yeah logically it's not all that safe. Sure we/I did it as kids, and I think it's good to be apart of a team playing a physical sport, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows either lol.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this change actually led to more kids playing football at younger age, even though it seems like it wouldn't. I started playing pop-warner in 4th grade. Maybe a handful of kids really knew anything about football like I did at that age (from playing madden, watching games, collecting cards, etc). Maybe 1/3rd-1/4th of them ended up continuing to HS football. Some that were bad and didn't have a good experience at the young age, didn't play later on because they didn't like it in like 4th/5th grade. And some could probably have been good in HS but just stuck with Baseball/Basketball instead because of that. And some parents just didn't let their kids play until HS at all. I went from pop warner having around 22 players/team to having like 65 on my freshman hs team. So, many guys play for the first time in HS. However if everyone started around middle school, I think you'd actually get parents letting their kids playing earlier. Because everyone would be starting at that time. It wouldn't be like all the kids friends had been playing for 3 years already (making it easier to keep saying no due to safety until HS) and then in 7th grade you let them play for the first time. It'd be everyone playing for first time in 7th grade. I think that would make the same parent that currently holds out until HS, maybe let them do it in middle school. It's just harder to say no at that point. And if kids start at 7th grade instead of 3rd or 4th then I bet they're more likely to stick all through HS as well.

Advertisement
Everyone’s talking about the potential injuries but no one’s talking about what the game does for kids.

1. Teaches them hard work and discipline
2. Humbles them
3. How to work with others
4. Spatial awareness
5. Gives them purpose as cheesey as it sounds
6. Social aspect. Majority of my friends I made were from playing football as a kid starting in 2nd grade
All important aspects. Can all be achieved with other sports too though.
The actual result of this is likely to lead to more Soccer being played until like 5th grade. Maybe more fall baseball.
I think MMA classes are going to really start getting more popular with kids. That + a Team sport could be pretty good for kids as a yr round athletic program

**** maybe rugby becomes popular among youth. That would actually have a GREAT impact on the future of football imo. Would really teach kids early how not to tackle using their head. And it could lead to more crazy **** like what Kelce does in HS then College/NFL eventually...

Last edited:
Yea I’m sure most of us remember playing tackle football as kids…no pads…nothing. Teeth got knocked out, chunks of skin hanging, broken bones, etc. I guess it’s just a different era now 😂.
Exactly. I think I was around 8 when I started playing organized tackle football. Playing pickup games of tackle football (which will never be able to be legislated away) in a local park or someone's yard was alwaysssss way more dangerous than Pop Warner.

That said, I don't really think you need* to play tackle until middle school to be able to develop into a high school player.

I usually just side on not arguing with parents about their kids as those are some of the hardest arguments to ever win and people can get very sensitive about that stuff.

Exactly. I think I was around 8 when I started playing organized tackle football. Playing pickup games of tackle football (which will never be able to be legislated away) in a local park or someone's yard was alwaysssss way more dangerous than Pop Warner.

That said, I don't really think you need* to play tackle until middle school to be able to develop into a high school player.

I usually just side on not arguing with parents about their kids as those are some of the hardest arguments to ever win and people can get very sensitive about that stuff.
Yeah its a Different dangerous though. I of course remember playing smear the Q**** all summer long, and we'd all be scraped up and sometimes get bloody noses. But nobody was going head to head contact either. When you strap the helmet on these kids - especially when the helmets you wear when you're that age are bigger than your entire torso, you use it as a weapon. And you do that 3-6x per week for 3 months...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back