California seeking to ban tackle football for children under 12

DoctorKrazey

Sophomore

California lawmakers seeking to ban tackle football for children under 12 years old earned a victory on Wednesday, but the war is far from over.

The bill that would ban tackle football for pre-teens in the state, which was authored by Democratic Assembly member Kevin McCarty, had its first public hearing before a legislative committee on Wednesday. The Assembly committee that regulates sports voted 5-2 to send the bill to the full chamber.

While the bill cleared its first hurdle, there are larger ones ahead. Now the full Assembly will vote on the bill and only has until January to approve it. If it votes to approve the bill it then goes to the Senate before Gov. Gavin Newsom would have the final say if it ultimately lands on his desk.

According to the AP, the ban, if passed, would be gradually phased in, prohibiting children under six starting in 2025, under 10 in 2027 and those under 12 in 2029.

So, I just wanted to get everyone’s opinion on this. I already know where I stand, but it would be interesting to hear where you guys are at on this, especially fathers. Even though it’s only Cali right now, you could definitely see a scenario where this starts to spread nationwide.

Advertisement
Think this is one where everybody is right....and wrong.

Don't think it'll really prevent injury or longterm effects but also don't think it'll hinder overall development of players and actual tackling skills going into high school ball.

Advertisement
Think this is one where everybody is right....and wrong.

Don't think it'll really prevent injury or longterm effects but also don't think it'll hinder overall development of players and actual tackling skills going into high school ball.
Yea I’m sure most of us remember playing tackle football as kids…no pads…nothing. Teeth got knocked out, chunks of skin hanging, broken bones, etc. I guess it’s just a different era now 😂.

Since it's CA can't the kids just identify as 13 years old?
Monday Night Raw Reaction GIF by WWE

Im a blood and guts guys..Love football..But theres a part of me that agrees with this..But I dont think the government has the right to tell parents what to do..Would I want my sons to play tackle football before age 12? No I wouldn't..

Advertisement
Im a blood and guts guys..Love football..But theres a part of me that agrees with this..But I dont think the government has the right to tell parents what to do..Would I want my sons to play tackle football before age 12? No I wouldn't..
Football is safe as it’s ever been in history. It’s basically 7 vs 7 with big hits being a penalty and no use of the head. It’s your right to do what ya want with your kids though.

I do think you have **** for brains as a parent to put your kids in tackle football, but I’m against the government telling you how to parent. Also makes no sense to then allow it right when kids get to the age of hitting the hardest.

“if passed, would be gradually phased in, prohibiting children under six starting in 2025, under 10 in 2027 and those under 12 in 2029.”

What grade is 11?

Advertisement
Agree with @Cribby and according to @LoungeLord i have sh*t for brains!!!

I live in CA (it sucks!) and my son is 12 and plays tackle. He’s a QB and just finished his second year. I do my very best to get him the safest gear - Vicis helmet - highest ranked helmet by the Virginia Tech helmet reviews. Look at all the top QBs wearing them now. New one each year. I have fitted pads made by Douglas and he has a rib and back protector. I also make him wear a Q Collar which is what Tony Pollard wears. I’m not saying it’s foolproof but I do my best to make sure he’s coached well and has the safest best gear available.

No sport is perfect. Heck soccer and all the headers. My son is also the starting goalie for his school and I watch the amount of head balls by the players. Would I rather him be a golfer or tennis player to avoid the injuries yea but he’s good at Football and loves it. He trains with one of the top QB coaches out here (2 of his guys are top 50 QBs in 2025 class and my son is with those kids regularly) and he was just at elite 11 for the younger kids and was a high performer not to mention one of the fastest too for his age. We’ll see where it goes.

Advertisement
If anything i would see this causing more injuries when the kids are actually able to play at 13. When kids start young they are taught the basic fundamentals and anyone who watches football knows if you tackle/ block correct injuries dont occur as much. Injuries are a part of the game and will happen whenever they happen. But giving a kid a helmet and shoulder pads at 13 and telling him to go hit someone for the first time in them increases the risk for himself and others. It should entirely be parents choice. Government should have 0 say.

Agree with @Cribby and according to @LoungeLord i have sh*t for brains!!!

I live in CA (it sucks!) and my son is 12 and plays tackle. He’s a QB and just finished his second year. I do my very best to get him the safest gear - Vicis helmet - highest ranked helmet by the Virginia Tech helmet reviews. Look at all the top QBs wearing them now. New one each year. I have fitted pads made by Douglas and he has a rib and back protector. I also make him wear a Q Collar which is what Tony Pollard wears. I’m not saying it’s foolproof but I do my best to make sure he’s coached well and has the safest best gear available.

No sport is perfect. Heck soccer and all the headers. My son is also the starting goalie for his school and I watch the amount of head balls by the players. Would I rather him be a golfer or tennis player to avoid the injuries yea but he’s good at Football and loves it. He trains with one of the top QB coaches out here (2 of his guys are top 50 QBs in 2025 class and my son is with those kids regularly) and he was just at elite 11 for the younger kids and was a high performer not to mention one of the fastest too for his age. We’ll see where it goes.

Cane lock?

Advertisement
Back