Calais Campbell - Pro Bowl Defensive MVP

I know.

It depends on your point of reference.

I've always looked at the position they played in the pros.

Either way, Hendricks has been in for awhile and maybe Campbell will get there too.

Well, The Mad Stork played standup DE at The U but converted to lb in pros. He is OUR first DE in the HOF for me but can see arguing he was LB in pros. For me, I deny nothing to the GOAT.

Advertisement
Campbell is a monster and is all class.

He's showing no signs of slowing down, but I agree he's gonna need 3-4 more pro-bowl like years to get in the HOF. He's HOF worthy, but he has 88 sacks now, and there's guys with 120+ sacks in their career who probably aren't getting in.

It's unfortunate that he's played in small markets like AZ & JAX, and isn't as big a name nationally as he deserves to be.

I know.

It depends on your point of reference.

I've always looked at the position they played in the pros.

Either way, Hendricks has been in for awhile and maybe Campbell will get there too.
I hope he does. The more Canes the better. Campbell certainly has had a great NFL career. I can't imagine what a terror Ted would have been in today's game. Rush DE didn't really existed back in his day; he was custom made for it. Fast, tall, massive wingspan and immense arm and hand strength.

He played what amounts to a 3 tech DT in a 4-3 playing DE in a 3-4 most of his career. That's not a true rush DE. It wasn't until he got to Jacksonville that he was able to play DE in a 4-3. That's when his sack numbers skyrocketed. He was not any less valuable in Arizona but you're not getting numbers like the guys you're naming playing as a 3-4 DE. Watt is really the only other one on the list. Campbell would be way over 100 sacks if he played in a 4-3 his whole career. Not to mention he plays SDE in Jax and not rush DE.
Not sure what to say about that. Scheme impacts a lot of things, including stats. Stats impact awards and HOF voting. It is what it is. Saying he would have had better stats in another scheme doesn’t really help. Baseball’s worse - what stadium you play in has a big impact on stats. For both pitchers and hitters. I agree with your view, fwiw.

I personally think Wilfork was a better player than Campbell in the nfl, and yet stats don’t help his case, either. And he won titles. If only one could get in, it’d be easy for me to pick Big Vince.

Advertisement
It’s not just an argument. It’s literally what he was in the pros.
Yeah you're right. I meant your can argue that since he was LB in pros he doesn't count as first DE and not be wrong. But I watched Ted from HS on and have soft spot for him. As Playmaker said about him, he was a Cane before there were Canes -- I always took that to mean that Stork was frigging wild and crazy mother.

Yeah you're right. I meant your can argue that since he was LB in pros he doesn't count as first DE and not be wrong. But I watched Ted from HS on and have soft spot for him. As Playmaker said about him, he was a Cane before there were Canes -- I always took that to mean that Stork was frigging wild and crazy mother.
He was prolly the goat cane. No argument there. DE at Miami. But if we’re talking Canton, he was an OLB.

Campbell is a monster and is all class.

He's showing no signs of slowing down, but I agree he's gonna need 3-4 more pro-bowl like years to get in the HOF. He's HOF worthy, but he has 88 sacks now, and there's guys with 120+ sacks in their career who probably aren't getting in.

It's unfortunate that he's played in small markets like AZ & JAX, and isn't as big a name nationally as he deserves to be.
Jessie Armstead was 4x first team all pro and 5x pro bowl. And won a SB. That is closer to HOF worthy than CC, who was 1x first team all pro and 2x second team.

Interesting stat: only two players in history have racked up 10x first team all pro designations. One is the greatest football player ever - Jerry Rice. The other is Jim Otto.

Advertisement
He got robbed of a couple Pro Bowls, too.

What makes Campbell unique is that he’s great against the run and the pass. Strong lower-body for such a tall player.

Our last elite player in the nfl. Olsen and gore on the verge of retirement. Really need Greg to continue to develop and become the elite prospect we know he can be.

He was prolly the goat cane. No argument there. DE at Miami. But if we’re talking Canton, he was an OLB.
Nice to be able debate position of our player in the HOF. Shula drafted him to Colts before going to the Dolphins with the intent to make him a OLB. Ted was your basic tweeter back then. Little small to have the heavy running game of the day in NFL and little to slow to cover backs. Back in the day, Ted had the singular privilege of being the only player Jimmy the Greek gave one point to whatever team he was on. He claimed that Ted blocked a kick, cause a fumble, or made a pick in every game(might have included punt too but I can't remember for sure). Sadly, Joe Robbie passed on a chance to sign Ted later in his career. Joe said he was over the hill. Al Davis disagreed and set couple 1st picks to Packers for him. Ted played 9 more years.

Advertisement
Back