Calais Campbell - Pro Bowl Defensive MVP

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
That sounds about right (the part about Campbell and Edwards being the top 2 DEs).

The best bookends to come out were Lang and Holmes, I think.

Both played for awhile in the league and were pretty good.

Probably not HOF unless he has a couple more high level years, but right below that level.

From an NFL perspective, campbell and Edwards are the best two DEs from UM.

Last edited:
Probably not HOF unless he has a couple more high level years, but right below that level.

From an NFL perspective, campbell and Edwards are the best two DEs from UM.

Very good take. I think he's borderline right now. He's sitting at 88 sacks right now, I think once he gets over a 100, he'll get in.

Advertisement
Very good take. I think he's borderline right now. He's sitting at 88 sacks right now, I think once he gets over a 100, he'll get in.
I’d say still south of the borderline but could get there. Not sure 100 does it. Doubt it. The DE position is going to need rethinking by HOF voters.

You have the top two in bruce smith and reggie white. Then a mix of inside-out guys and rush end types. There are also some notable guys not yet in who are locks, like Watt and Peppers, and you have Freeney in line with 125 sacks.

You had Deacon Jones, Carl Eller, Lee Roy Selmon and Jack Youngblood, who were pretty darned good back in the day. More recently, Jason Taylor put up a ton of sacks, as did Kevin Greene at a rush end position. Dolemanis there because he was undeniably great (and posted 150 sacks). The real comps for Campbell are the other guys on the list - but many played on title teams and in media centers. H. Long, Strahan, Dent and Haley are there for significance, not just stats. Campbell is better than Long and Haley, IMO. But Long is a media celebrity with 8 pro bowls, and Haley won 5 SBs! Dan Hampton had much lower sack numbers but also played DT, and anchored the line with Richard Dent on the ‘80s Bears.

I think Watt and Peppers coming will change standards a bit. Campbell has had a terrific career, but absent titles or media hype, not quite there. 1x all pro, 2x second team all pro. That’s not enough for Canton at DE. 115 sacks for him is probably the marker, but don’t see how he gets there. He wasn’t a rush end type, but the comp for Canton at DE is hard.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’d say still south of the borderline but could get there. Not sure 100 does it. Doubt it. The DE position is going to need rethinking by HOF voters.

You have the top two in bruce smith and reggie white. Then a mix of inside-out guys and rush end types. There are also some notable guys not yet in who are locks, like Watt and Peppers, and you have Freeney in line with 125 sacks.

You had Deacon Jones, Carl Eller, Lee Roy Selmon and Jack Youngblood, who were pretty darned good back in the day. More recently, Jason Taylor put up a ton of sacks, as did Kevin Greene at a rush end position. Dolemanis there because he was undeniably great (and posted 150 sacks). The real comps for Campbell are the other guys on the list - but many played on title teams and in media centers. H. Long, Strahan, Dent and Haley are there for significance, not just stats. Campbell is better than Long and Haley, IMO. But Long is a media celebrity with 8 pro bowls, and Haley won 5 SBs! Dan Hampton had much lower sack numbers but also played DT, and anchored the line with Richard Dent on the ‘80s Bears.

I think Watt and Peppers coming will change standards a bit. Campbell has had a terrific career, but absent titles or media hype, not quite there. 1x all pro, 2x second team all pro. That’s not enough for Canton at DE. 115 sacks for him is probably the marker, but don’t see how he gets there. He wasn’t a rush end type, but the comp for Canton at DE is hard.
He played what amounts to a 3 tech DT in a 4-3 playing DE in a 3-4 most of his career. That's not a true rush DE. It wasn't until he got to Jacksonville that he was able to play DE in a 4-3. That's when his sack numbers skyrocketed. He was not any less valuable in Arizona but you're not getting numbers like the guys you're naming playing as a 3-4 DE. Watt is really the only other one on the list. Campbell would be way over 100 sacks if he played in a 4-3 his whole career. Not to mention he plays SDE in Jax and not rush DE.

Maybe, just maybe he could be our first DE in the HOF.

He's become a top-notch ball player.

Very solid career.
Well, The Mad Stork played standup DE at The U but converted to lb in pros. He is OUR first DE in the HOF for me but can see arguing he was LB in pros. For me, I deny nothing to the GOAT.

Advertisement
Back