Bye Week blunders

Advertisement
For those of you who are very concerned the coaching staff will spend too much time this bye week on civic education,

When asked if he and his players talk about the candidates and their different points of view, Diaz said coaches don’t get into specific candidates because “that’s not really our place to tell anybody who to vote for, but what we are doing is we are having a meeting this week and we are trying to really explain to our players the ins and outs of local governments.

“I think everybody understands what it means to elect a president,’’ Diaz said. “But I don’t know that our players have the understanding of who is in charge really of what on the local ballot. Because obviously a lot of what occurs in our community is really dictated by the local governments — county or city. We don’t spend enough time on that.

For the full article, which includes info about overall NCAA efforts to educate and give players the opportunity to vote,

Advertisement
I'm speechless at the level of idiocy on display in this thread. some of you clearly have nothing better to do than find things to blow up and complain about.

This has to be an all time low for ridiculous threads....
All time low?

While watching the UVA game I saw the promo where both teams met at midfield pre-game and did this kumbaya performative stunt where they all locked arms and stared at each other. Suddenly, the score and the game made more sense to me. Just had to roll my eyes.

You all remember Jen Strawley, UM's football liason to the linked-in, participation, inclusion and diversity crowd? This is UM's administration. It's not Manny's brainchild, but he was their idea, too.

All of this stuff is at odds with competitive sports, especially a violent game of ground acquisition like football.
WTF???

Wow. Checked back this morning and most of you completely missed the point.

But also now it makes sense why this program is stuck in mediocrity, when half of the alums and fans are soft just like the players. It's the mentality you breed. This is why we have the WR's putting in the bare minimum. You have coaches and fans too who think the bye week should be a vacation.

All I'm saying is, it is no wonder we come out flat after bye weeks, when the coaches are obviously using the spare time for other things. The specific example given does not mean they are spending the ENTIRE WEEK on civics, or WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO TAKE 1 HR BREAKS. It just means that this is just one thing we know about, but imagine what else goes on in the program. I like the fact that we take these kids and build them up into men and teach them how to do right. But if we come out flat after one more bye week I'm literally going to lose it. Only Miami can have a bye week, and come out and play as pathetic as they do.

I don't know why you would compare us to Bama. Everyone knows you never want to give Sabag time to prepare his team to play you. Even if he did run a civics class for his team in the middle of a bye week, when you reach the playoffs every year and have been dominating the college football landscape for years, you are allowed to do whatever the **** you want to do, nobody is out there questioning Sabag, the same way we question our coaches.

I simply asked for thoughts, and some agreed, but most people obviously don't have a problem with it which is fine. But I also beleive that for those of you who are okay with it, you help breed the reason we come out flat after bye weeks. You help breed the reason why these kids think because they were a 4 star recruit, they can just cruise control their way into the NFL and not graduate and declare early. We literally have more talent than majority of the ACC and still struggle to be better than .500
Go lookup Virginia's recruiting classes. They get like maybe ONE 4 star player a class, yet they played us at home with a backup QB to the edge. Obviously coaching > talent, but it is just embarrassing. We have this extra time to prepare and Manuela "how do you quantify that?" Diaz is win less coming out of bye weeks. Not only just win less, but the team is completely unprepared, unfocused, undriven, etc.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Yes I know we're 5-1. Go Canes.

Advertisement

But also now it makes sense why this program is stuck in mediocrity, when half of the alums and fans are soft just like the players. It's the mentality you breed. This is why we have the WR's putting in the bare minimum. You have coaches and fans too who think the bye week should be a vacation.

All I'm saying is, it is no wonder we come out flat after bye weeks, when the coaches are obviously using the spare time for other things. The specific example given does not mean they are spending the ENTIRE WEEK on civics, or WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO TAKE 1 HR BREAKS. It just means that this is just one thing we know about, but imagine what else goes on in the program. I like the fact that we take these kids and build them up into men and teach them how to do right. But if we come out flat after one more bye week I'm literally going to lose it. Only Miami can have a bye week, and come out and play as pathetic as they do.

I don't know why you would compare us to Bama. Everyone knows you never want to give Sabag time to prepare his team to play you. Even if he did run a civics class for his team in the middle of a bye week, when you reach the playoffs every year and have been dominating the college football landscape for years, you are allowed to do whatever the **** you want to do, nobody is out there questioning Sabag, the same way we question our coaches.

I simply asked for thoughts, and some agreed, but most people obviously don't have a problem with it which is fine. But I also beleive that for those of you who are okay with it, you help breed the reason we come out flat after bye weeks. You help breed the reason why these kids think because they were a 4 star recruit, they can just cruise control their way into the NFL and not graduate and declare early. We literally have more talent than majority of the ACC and still struggle to be better than .500
Go lookup Virginia's recruiting classes. They get like maybe ONE 4 star player a class, yet they played us at home with a backup QB to the edge. Obviously coaching > talent, but it is just embarrassing. We have this extra time to prepare and Manuela "how do you quantify that?" Diaz is win less coming out of bye weeks. Not only just win less, but the team is completely unprepared, unfocused, undriven, etc.

Your explanation doesn’t change the fact that this is a dumb thread. Manny and Co are who they are. What did they spend their time on last season or before Clemson this year? You don’t know and you don’t know how much time they spent on this. You're speculating.

Last edited:

Utter nonsense. You first tried to give the impression that they were spending their bye week focusing on this, which was false. Then you try to claim that having a meeting regarding civics and the election, since that is coming up, is somehow "soft". How something like this would make them "flat" is beyond me. They don't spend 24 hours a day on football. This does not interfere with, or take away from, football in any way.

Advertisement
Utter nonsense. You first tried to give the impression that they were spending their bye week focusing on this, which was false. Then you try to claim that having a meeting regarding civics and the election, since that is coming up, is somehow "soft". How something like this would make them "flat" is beyond me. They don't spend 24 hours a day on football. This does not interfere with, or take away from, football in any way.
I must have not done a good job explaining then. I don't have the insider stats that people on here need for threads like this to be started, such as we spend 4 hrs/day on football while programs like Baga spend 12/day on football with their "non-coach analysts". (as to not be speculating)

What I was saying is that you can sort of tell WHY we come out unprepared after a bye week every time, and it APPEARS that it is due to the attitude that surrounds the idea of what a bye week is supposed to be. I used the civics thing as an actual example, since it is hard to get any information outside of our Fort Knox football program. (Also I understand this is competition sensitive and what goes on is supposed to stay internal)

And I opened it up for comments and thoughts. That's it.

The "soft" part comes from whoever is of the opinion that this type of thing is okay & normal for a team that lost to FIU and LA Tech last season.
I'll admit it was grasping, but again, that's why I wanted everyone's thoughts about it.

You can choose to put two and two together, such as (using an actual known example again) Harley stating that the WRs were putting in the bare minimum effort, as to why our WR core looked horrible all year, but you know...don't want to "speculate". Them putting in the bare minimum, I'm sure, does not interfere with or take away from football in any way :)

you have NO idea whether they do this or not. SMH

Saban is task oriented. His current task is to win games.

Compare Saban's Win/Losses to Manny's. Saban rules.

Compare Saban's civics classes to Manny's. Again, Saban rules.

Nothing so good for a football team as distractions. The more distractions, the more wasted time - the better the football team - yeah?

Should throw in a day where they learn to make muffins. Muffins make everyone feel better! Let's feel better!

Advertisement
I get not liking maunelo and I also get how bad we've looked after the bye.

But this is a strange extremely un-American hill to die on. Everyone should be more educated on the voting process. I promise you this won't change the outcome of the game, an extra week of practice aint turning the lights on for dee or pope.

While watching the UVA game I saw the promo where both teams met at midfield pre-game and did this kumbaya performative stunt where they all locked arms and stared at each other. Suddenly, the score and the game made more sense to me. Just had to roll my eyes.

You all remember Jen Strawley, UM's football liason to the linked-in, participation, inclusion and diversity crowd? This is UM's administration. It's not Manny's brainchild, but he was their idea, too.

All of this stuff is at odds with competitive sports, especially a violent game of ground acquisition like football.
A game that you obviously were never athletic enough to play.

31121E61-69C5-4033-9E99-5FBE0AC1EF05.jpeg

Advertisement
Back