Buzz from Saturday’s practice

View as article
Advertisement
RB room is 🥱
Chris Johnson was running with the first team and I'm hoping he ceases the opportunity to make some plays. I really like that kid.
We'll hit the portal for a big fish at the RB position though.

WR room needs a true #1.
X is who he is, but nobody else has established themselves as that alpha big dog in the room.
X was having his way with everybody on Saturday though. He made big play after big play.

OL room definitely looks the part. I'm most excited about this unit.

I thought the front-7 looked more impressive than I've seen in a very long time. They finally LOOK the part. I didn't see them giving up much in the running game. Lightfoot looks like a surefire NFL prospect. Blount is up to 275lbs so it's intriguing to see where he'll end up. I think Miami sees him as a DT.

I'm loving the first 2 TE's. Williams made some nice plays down-field and Arroyo looks like an NFL TE. I hope he can stay healthy.

Lofton!
Is a dude!
Not the best looking player you've ever seen in their uniform, but he is a ball player. He's being utilized all over the offense. He even got some carries at RB. I'm very excited about this kid.

I love Kaleb Spencer. True hybrid football player. Powell is a grown man.
I would like to see someone on the defense emerge as a "tone setter" though. ..an enforcer. Someone who's good for a nice pop every practice, to get the defense hyped. I heard that's something that they wish they had, and I kinda saw that for myself Saturday.
To be fair, I wasn't always close enough to the action to hear/see EVERYTHING...but I didn't notice a lot of intensity, pad poppin or **** talkin. I could be wrong.
Maybe it's youth or unfamiliarity, but many of the kids on defense seem to be "going through the motions" with what I observed. That's to be expected when kids are still learning though. Defense is about confidence.
Yeah that's what we need. Who is the last
certified thumper we had? Denzel Perryman?...Eddie Johnson?

Nah, we had one recently. He use to hit ****, but you knew a15 yard penalty was coming after. I can't remember his name.

I don’t see Horton as a #1. I think he is more of a 3 at best
I agree with you, he’s definitely not a number one to me, but I think he can be a solid number two at 2nd string. What I’ve seen from him since he’s been here, is that he is limited. Now maybe over the off-season he’s upped his physicality and physique and those physical limitations are gone but I have to see it first.

I am curious about what a #1 receiver is or should look like. We throw that phrase around a lot and talk about going out and getting a "true #1 receiver", but who in the heck are true #1s?

Across college football, how many exist? Was Brock Bowers a true #1 last year? Marvin Harrison, Jr? Malik Nabers?

Who's out there for next year? Luther Burden? Tre Harris?

These guys are RARE. When you guys talk about #1s, is this what you mean? Because if it is, then I think we're setting ourselves up to be disappointed

Somebody please get @Peter Ariz a pair of solid ear buds and mobile hotspot.
469dIHYY.gif

Advertisement
RB room is 🥱
Chris Johnson was running with the first team and I'm hoping he ceases the opportunity to make some plays. I really like that kid.
We'll hit the portal for a big fish at the RB position though.

WR room needs a true #1.
X is who he is, but nobody else has established themselves as that alpha big dog in the room.
X was having his way with everybody on Saturday though. He made big play after big play.

OL room definitely looks the part. I'm most excited about this unit.

I thought the front-7 looked more impressive than I've seen in a very long time. They finally LOOK the part. I didn't see them giving up much in the running game. Lightfoot looks like a surefire NFL prospect. Blount is up to 275lbs so it's intriguing to see where he'll end up. I think Miami sees him as a DT.

I'm loving the first 2 TE's. Williams made some nice plays down-field and Arroyo looks like an NFL TE. I hope he can stay healthy.

Lofton!
Is a dude!
Not the best looking player you've ever seen in their uniform, but he is a ball player. He's being utilized all over the offense. He even got some carries at RB. I'm very excited about this kid.

I love Kaleb Spencer. True hybrid football player. Powell is a grown man.
I would like to see someone on the defense emerge as a "tone setter" though. ..an enforcer. Someone who's good for a nice pop every practice, to get the defense hyped. I heard that's something that they wish they had, and I kinda saw that for myself Saturday.
To be fair, I wasn't always close enough to the action to hear/see EVERYTHING...but I didn't notice a lot of intensity, pad poppin or **** talkin. I could be wrong.
Maybe it's youth or unfamiliarity, but many of the kids on defense seem to be "going through the motions" with what I observed. That's to be expected when kids are still learning though. Defense is about confidence.
Always appreciate your perspective.. Definitely need a true #1.. I would hate we finally get an elite qb and dont give him the weapons needed to operate at high level.. X being a senior will thrive in his role but we need someone outside to make sure teams dont just bracket him..

Love hearing about the front 7 having that look, I screamed for years that we cant have small slow lb at university of miami and was told they would develop.. :ibis-roflmao-sm3: Had to rebuild that unit brick by brick, salute to that..

I am curious about what a #1 receiver is or should look like. We throw that phrase around a lot and talk about going out and getting a "true #1 receiver", but who in the heck are true #1s?

Across college football, how many exist? Was Brock Bowers a true #1 last year? Marvin Harrison, Jr? Malik Nabers?

Who's out there for next year? Luther Burden? Tre Harris?

These guys are RARE. When you guys talk about #1s, is this what you mean? Because if it is, then I think we're setting ourselves up to be disappointed
Those guys are #1s you mentioned. And I agree there isn’t going to be anybody in the portal at that level. You don’t have to have that type guy at wr to win. You just saw Michigan win with a mid wr core. If it’s another experienced wr out there that has produced tha they could bring in I say do it but you don’t have to have a 1st round pick to be good

X is different though.
He's not your typical undersized slot.
He's 200lbs, isn't a straight-line guy, and has RB qualities.

And I don't think X would be a take for this staff if I'm being honest.

This is disappointing to hear. Why not continue to recruit "football players" at every position? When a coach preaches process and toughness, it seems weird not to have a few guys who are just tough, physical football players, regardless of size. You can't have a roster full of "slow midgets", but you can have one or two if they increase the overall talent and Football IQ of your team.

When a farmer needs a job done, he doesn't hitch up a race horse to a plow. Sometimes you need that undersized kid, or a tough as **** hybrid player to do the dirty work so that your thoroughbreds can run free and show their pedigree.

I just hate how coaches get super enamored with measureables and forget that the #1 job for a football player is to be able (and willing) to play the game of football. Give me an 85-man roster with four or five X's and I'll show you a team that's competing for championships (ala Clemson, Michigan, Georgia, et al).

Advertisement
This time last year every report of practice was Ray Ray lighting it up

He barely played all season and now we haven’t heard anything about him

I have no inside info but 🤷🏼‍♂️
There has been talk about him. I have seen stuff on here and 247 about him making plays. Think 247 just said the other day he has been tough to cover downfield

There has been talk about him. I have seen stuff on here and 247 about him making plays. Think 247 just said the other day he has been tough to cover downfield
good to hear! I’m a big fan of the kid personally

Lots of competition suddenly which is a good thing I’ve been hoping to at least see him and Robby at returner

Always appreciate your perspective.. Definitely need a true #1.. I would hate we finally get an elite qb and dont give him the weapons needed to operate at high level.. X being a senior will thrive in his role but we need someone outside to make sure teams dont just bracket him..

Love hearing about the front 7 having that look, I screamed for years that we cant have small slow lb at university of miami and was told they would develop.. :ibis-roflmao-sm3: Had to rebuild that unit brick by brick, salute to that..

I'm finally excited again about our LBs. Strong and Nicholson have recruited ballers, and we totally lucked out on Kiko.

We didn't land one decent LB class between 2016 and 2023. Manny had us on a path to striking out in 2022 when Mario pulled the rabbit out of his hat with Wes, but he was the only one. Under Manny, there were a (very) few kids I liked like Sam Brooks, but they were all DE>LB conversions so should have been the third take in a deep class Most were clearly JAGs (Wilder, Jennings, Tyler Johnson, Thomas Davis) or depth/glue guys (Flagg).

Now, our 4-man classic LB rotation of Kiko, Wes, Popo and Chase Smith has the potential to be tops in ACC. That's not even counting utility striker guys like the Bobbys (Pruitt and Washington) or Spencer.

Advertisement
Going into the offseason, I felt we had screwed ourselves by not going harder after a elite WR1. I think the addition of the young receives and the reemergence of the TEs as legit receivers gives Cam enough multi-dimensionality that we're no longer desperate.

Horton "should" step up as a sophomore, and I'm a big fan of Robinson who is polished and stout enough to play early and often. But we've seen sophomore slumps with other impressive young WRs in the past, injuries happen, and we still need to be skeptical about the glowing reports coming out of camp given the questionable talent at DB.

Net/net, trend is good, more to be done and while not dire, a WR1 would solidify this group as playoff ready.
Outside of George and X, nothing is guaranteed at WR. I believe Trader is the most talented of the unprovens. We will see.

Yeah that's what we need. Who is the last
certified thumper we had? Denzel Perryman?...Eddie Johnson?

Nah, we had one recently. He use to hit ****, but you knew a15 yard penalty was coming after. I can't remember his name.
Carter??? Can’t remember the first name. lol

I’d say Shaq from the LB position…

You gotta be thinking about the safety Amari Carter.
Shaq was sure tackler, I never picture him as a thumper. He had some hits. Guys I am thinking about, either you drop where you are or go backwards when they hit you. Not falling forward for a extra 2 yards.

Denzel was popping ****. Sudden and violent, as GOD intended linebackers to be made.

Advertisement
Shaq was sure tackler, I never picture him as a thumper. He had some hits. Guys I am thinking about, either you drop where you are or go backwards when they hit you. Not falling forward for a extra 2 yards.

Denzel was popping ****. Sudden and violent, as GOD intended linebackers to be made.

DP was a beast. Shaq had some monster plays too IIRC. He rarely ever blitzed but when he did he killed people

Guidry would have had a field day with him

Watched him Saturday and he's a grown man. He just LOOKS like somebody who started on a National Championship level squad. And honestly he's the only one who I saw cover X at all.
EA better have it at 99 release and 99 route running.

Advertisement
Back