Buyouts Let's get to it

Advertisement
Pretty easy process:

1) Dont throw a ton of guaranteed money at someone who got fired. They got fired for a reason.
2) Don't throw a ton of guaranteed money at someone who hasn't proven it at this level.
3) Don't throw a long high value extension at one season sample size when you bring someone in.

Every coach should expect to wait until they are winning with their own players to both be fired, or extended. That is the contract situation that needs to be established to protect the athletic departments. You risk a coach being poached, but im sure FSU would have preferred to risk a poach than be in this position.

Contracts need to be incentive laden and have built in outs as well. Enough of both to be worth while to both parties.
💯💯💯💯💯

The answer is evaluations. We nor FSU are hiring coaches with no success but we are hiring coaches without understanding the contexts of their success.

Randy Shannon did not have enough experience as a coordinated to suggest he was ready to be the HC at a school like Miami. We should have let him leave or offered him more money to stay on as the DC. Shannon also had no experience at other schools and his people skills were not very good.

Al Golden had success as a head coach but by all accounts, he seemed to struggle against opponents that he shouldn't. Golden's ceiling just isn't that high and that should have been obvious.

Mark Richt had success at a major program but his performance on the field had been decreasing, despite great signing classes. Richt came to Miami because we would allow him to do something (call plays) that he previously failed at. If you were to ask any Georiga fan, they would have told you that.

Manny Diaz has experience as a DC at major schools and understands how a head coach should conduct himself. The problem with Manny is there is no evidence to suggests that he can handle the job. It was good to see him fire the offensive coaching staff and getting Enos appears to be a good decision. I want to see how the football team progresses over the next few years. Can Manny recruit the five stars from Florida? Will Manny hire a coach with a different way of running the defense if Baker doesn't work out? We don't know the answer to these questions and frankly, they should have been answered by Manny working at Template for three years.

Advertisement
I get that but without that kind of offer he just stays at Oregon. There are stories like his all over college football.
Of course he stays in Oregon, because nothing else even close was going to come his way and I certainly don't fault Willie for taking a huge opportunity he didn't deserve.

Florida state is a high tier job, but they are not accustomed to making coaching changes or coaching searches at that school because they had a guy for decades and promoted from within when he left. They ****ed up monumentally on the search, the choice, and the contract.

Of course he stays in Oregon, because nothing else even close was going to come his way and I certainly don't fault Willie for taking a huge opportunity he didn't deserve.

Florida state is a high tier job, but they are not accustomed to making coaching changes or coaching searches at that school because they had a guy for decades and promoted from within when he left. They ****ed up monumentally on the search, the choice, and the contract.

All of that is not the point. Any big time program has to pay to poach any other D1 coach. The end result is generally one school overpaying to keep him or another overpaying to take him.

Willie is just another example of that dynamic.

Jimbo might have left a mess off the field, but he left them a stacked roster. A roster that should not have only won 5 games in the ACC. Taeggart cant coach but he is too expensive to fire.

Uhhhhhh, Derwin James, Derrick Nnandi, Matthew Thomas, Rick Leonard, Josh Sweat, Auden Tate, Tavarus McFadden, Jacob Pugh, Ryan Green, Ermon Lane...Jimbo went 5-6 with a more "stacked roster".

Advertisement
fsu has no one to blame but themselves, someone as green as willie had no business at a top tier program.

going after peterson from washington, or gundy from ok state... someone like that should have been the priority

fact is their search was more lazy than ours.
But, but, but, Willie is "elite" at this and that!!!!

FSU's situation is very similar to UF's with McElwain.

I hope they don't wise up & fire him too soon, but I think they give Taggart one more year before they fire him.

They have their own version of Butch in Leavitt, so I would not be surprised if they cut the cord as Leavitt would take next to nothing if he got that gig.

Advertisement
Taggert isn’t going to get fired this year IMO. If he has another bad year next year he will get shxt canned.
I'm not so sure. That buyout is horrendous but the FSU friends I know are in a state of ****ed depression. They suck, they know it, and their season isn't going to get any better. They ****-talk to me all the time and they haven't been this quiet in a long time. Their two easiest opponents are Louisville (+6.5) and Alabama State.

UL-Monroe was a 23pt underdog and they took Willie to OT. Can we really say Alabama State doesn't have a chance?

FSU is looking like a 2-10 / 4-8 team. That crushes you; as a fan, as a coach and on the recruiting trail.

He was never worth what they paid him. Someone tell me why they even hired him in the first place.
FSU's situation is very similar to UF's with McElwain.

I hope they don't wise up & fire him too soon, but I think they give Taggart one more year before they fire him.
7-5 he might be safe. 6-6, and a bowl win, he might be safe. 5-7 and he's gone, in my opinion.

Don't overextend your pocketbook. More incentive based contracts. However, is FSWHO is dumb enough to pay Taggert 19 mil, go for it, he fleeced them, good for him, benefit of the bargain.

All good in theory, until you're on the wrong end of musical coaching chairs.

Coaches are getting what they're getting as there aren't a slew of next-level guys just waiting around to jump ship wherever they're at to go to the University of (blank).

Look at Florida and their huge athletic budget over the years. What have they done since Urban Meyer pulled up his stakes and left; Meyer and up-and-comer because of success at Utah and hardly a next-level guy or proven name who made his name in Gainesville.

Threw money at former Texas head-coach-in-waiting Will Muschamp, who turned out to be an overrated ****. Settled on Jim McElwain and his Alabama offensive success, plus two years turning lowly Colorado State around. Another whiff of a hire. Also settled on Dan Mullen because of his tenure with Meyer and decent success at Mississippi State, but hardly a next-level guy.

All that off-season chatter when they too thought they were going to get a Jon Gruden, thought Bob Stoops was coming back at some point, or that they would lure Chris Peterson away from Boise State before he went to Washington. None ever came close to happening.

Oklahoma settles on Lincoln Riley when Stoops steps down; a 39-year old, two-year coordinator. Ohio State settles on Ryan Day after Meyer leaves; another young, inexperienced coordinator. Oregon has an assload of money but locks down Mario Cristobal after Willie Taggart; (Cristobal getting $2.5M but one of the best bonus plans in the game at around $1.9M). Meanwhile Florida State can't do any better than Taggart when Fisher left—despite being five years removed from a national title at the time?

What about Tennessee's post-Fulmer disaster; overpaying Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Butch Jones—throwing big money at anyone they think is the next big thing; just like they did again with Jeremy Pruitt.

Fans always think the next-big-name is just a "blank check" away from jumping to their school, but it doesn't work out that way. More guys like Peterson, who stayed put at Boise State until a dream job came in Washington (his dad a Huskies fan an him spending his youth on the Pacific Northwest). Gary Patterson stayed at TCU despite constant overtures to leave. Matt Campbell is hanging around Iowa State, hoping his star doesn't fade before a big job comes calling.

Fact remains, there are more good coaching jobs out there than they are good coaches—which puts the power in the hands of the coaches, more than it does the schools. Plus, an SEC school with big money couldn't care less bout paying off some dude's contract. It's chump change to them and their big money boosters. They want the right guy and will pay out the nose to get him.

Advertisement
That’s a great plan but easier said than done. Willie for example was sitting pretty at Oregon.

Coach favored contracts are a risk every school has to take to take in today’s game.

Exactly. All sounds nice in theory, but Florida State needed a replacement for Fisher, there weren't a slew of options and Taggart wasn't leaving Oregon after one year without making a desperate FSU pay.

There will always be more schools in need of good head coaches than there will be available head coaches available to go to said school.

Law of supply and demand; and the schools will always have a short supply of viable candidates. No different than bidding wars for homes on the market during a seller's economy; set a price and then let the buyers try to overpay and outbid for what they want.

fine"*****"Baum doesn't know zhit. jimbo left cause the boosters and AD weren't doing enough to keep up with the arms race. jimbo saw the writing on the wall and got out. jumbo is a top level coach.... FSU admin is suspect. he gonna have A&M rolling soon. the FSU admin got what they wanted, they failed to back jimbo, he left, they made an affirmative action hire, and now they are paying dearly for it. AND WE CANE FANS LOVE IT!!!!

FSU won 10 games the year before Jimbo left. They probably would have gotten close to that again his final year if Frenchie didn't blow his leg off against Bama. Remember their defense held Bama down pretty well, they just couldn't do anything against them on offense but that team would have been favored to win every game except Clemson in the ACC with a healthy Frenchie.

Saying Jimbo left a mess is excuses. I don't mind it at all tho because it will likely get Taggart a few more years 😂

He was never worth what they paid him. Someone tell me why they even hired him in the first place.

7-5 he might be safe. 6-6, and a bowl win, he might be safe. 5-7 and he's gone, in my opinion.

@ThomasM it is pretty obvious why they hired him.

Advertisement
Back