Butch Davis holds first spring game as head coach of FIU Pan

Advertisement
IMG_3933.JPG

2 people stands.jpg
It's a little known fact that CaneDynasty and Duke4heisman are husband and wife. This is a picture of them at the FIU practice.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wonder how he'll do at FIU.

I really don't think Butch has ever been anything more than an average to below average coach with great recruiting and player evaluation skills. I'm not really sure why people think his stint at Miami was that much different than his stint at UNC in terms of building up talent and underachieving with it. I think he underachieved all 6 years of his Miami tenure including 2000. (Holy **** he lost to Rick Neuiheisel with that roster. I repeat Rick Neuiheisel.)

He'll build CUSA's best roster at FIU, although we'll see what he does with it.

Was studying on campus Friday and went by to check out Butch and watch a little football. That team is more garbage than a landfill with the exception of like 2.5 players. Anthony Jones was making people look stupid with his ability to shift and has elite speed based on how slow everyone else looked. I think the kid could have played here behind Walton or maybe even be on the same level. Could have really used him this year.

A wide receiver named Malony was also making some really nice catches, reminded me of Berrios. And some other kid a WR named Owens was also making really nice catches. The rest of the team is full of scrubs that wouldn't make it on UM's practice squad. It's going to take Butch a long time (at least 3 years) before he can put them contention for the conference. He needs to get rid of Turners guys.

It was very hard to stay engaged in the game. Snooze fest for 90% of the time

Last edited:
Wish nothing but the best for Butch.

Firmly believe he lands in Coral Gables again in one way or another.

Perhaps when Manny takes a HC gig.

Advertisement

I really don't think Butch has ever been anything more than an average to below average coach with great recruiting and player evaluation skills. I'm not really sure why people think his stint at Miami was that much different than his stint at UNC in terms of building up talent and underachieving with it. I think he underachieved all 6 years of his Miami tenure including 2000. (Holy **** he lost to Rick Neuiheisel with that roster. I repeat Rick Neuiheisel.)

I am not here to bag on Butch, Miami owes him a great deal, but I also was clear I did not want him hired again. He was, at Miami, a magician when it came to both talent evaluation and roster management. But he was never a great game day coach or a great recruiter. Additionally, this whole interweby thing kicked in in the decade plus since he was at Miami, and it is simply much harder to find and hide those "diamonds" now. All those hailing him as a savior, IMO, were simply living in the past.

Having said all of that, he did a lot for Miami, goes down as a top 5 football coach here, and I wish him luck.

Advertisement
The weirdness between this coach and a portion of the Miami fan base continues.

The weirdness between this coach and a portion of the Miami fan base continues.

It's extremely weird. Butch will not be rocking the orange and green again unless it is another 30 for 30 on The U, or for a reunion of the '00 football team at Sun Life during halftime of the F$U game in 2020.

Advertisement

I am not here to bag on Butch, Miami owes him a great deal, but I also was clear I did not want him hired again. He was, at Miami, a magician when it came to both talent evaluation and roster management. But he was never a great game day coach or a great recruiter. Additionally, this whole interweby thing kicked in in the decade plus since he was at Miami, and it is simply much harder to find and hide those "diamonds" now. All those hailing him as a savior, IMO, were simply living in the past.

Having said all of that, he did a lot for Miami, goes down as a top 5 football coach here, and I wish him luck.

I would have taken Butch back in a heartbeat over another hire like Coker, Shannon, or Golden. As it turned out we probably got the best coach available in Mark Richt, so there's no need to worry about it anymore. Butch wasn't a great game day coach, but I'd have trusted him with the keys for 4-5 years until he retired.

Was studying on campus Friday and went by to check out Butch and watch a little football. That team is more garbage than a landfill with the exception of like 2.5 players. Anthony Jones was making people look stupid with his ability to shift and has elite speed based on how slow everyone else looked. I think the kid could have played here behind Walton or maybe even be on the same level. Could have really used him this year.

:jordan: :jordan:

Advertisement
Back