Butch Barry

Two years ago it was Searles so Mack Brown hires him. This year its Barry. Maybe a large part of the problem is a lack of O line talent. So if Barry is out we now go to a 3rd option in three straight years. Not good.
Agree that talent is a big issue, but at some point a coach has to get something more out of players. I hate the revolving door, but there's a guy out there somewhere who can get decent play out of these scrubs. Put it this way, there are teams with the OL talent we have who get better play from their guys. No excuses.

Advertisement
Two years ago it was Searles so Mack Brown hires him. This year its Barry. Maybe a large part of the problem is a lack of O line talent. So if Barry is out we now go to a 3rd option in three straight years. Not good.
You can't say the lack of talent on one hand and give Searles a pass on the other.

Next guy needs to know how to croot. Hard not to look moderately ok as an OL coach if we do indeed get the ball out quickly and spread teams out a little more for the run game

This whole "kids he inherited" narrative would be a lot more credible if we lived in a world where film didn't exist. If Botch Berry and his own limited (or non-existent) skillset took a job without doing any research on the ingredients he would be tasked to prepare then that's ALL on him.

This whole "kids he inherited" narrative would be a lot more credible if we lived in a world where film didn't exist. If Botch Berry and his own limited (or non-existent) skillset took a job without doing any research on the ingredients he would be tasked to prepare then that's ALL on him.

Bro the line wasnt good the year before either. Searles left in shape where zion nelson walked in and started. Thats all u need to know. Im all for criticizing coaches but im realistic too. Those two wouldnt start for most G5 schools

Advertisement
I hope this doesn’t affect Rivers. He had a really good relationship with Barry and wanted to play for him. I still think he’s a Cane and he gets on campus in a couple days so he’d ruin his spring if he decided to ask out of his NLI.

I'm not flaming, but for those of you that want him gone, why? I am admittedly not an OL technique expert, but you don't become an NFL OL coach unless you have some chops. Looking at his history, Lovie Smith hired him and Koetter retained him when he was hired. How can he be so deficient that he should be canned after 1 year?

That said, the lack of OL recruiting this year was/is a problem. I'm not sure how much of that should fall on his lap and how much should fall on Manny's lap.
He has been an Enos disciple and bucs disciple. Both pro set, play action type of schemes. Since we are going to full spread the blocking schemes will change. He was bad at the pro set and that is all he knew. No reason to believe he would be good with this new scheme.

Advertisement
This move (if true) makes sense. I don't know much about Grimes but there are mixed reviews from Auburn fans although the majority of the comments are positive. Keep in mind, Auburn fans are semi-delusional, much like 'Canes fans.

I like the hire (if true) for the following non-technical reasons:

1. He wasn't fired from Auburn (always a plus).
2. His resume and qualifications are better than "formerly the TE coach for CMU and assistant OL Coach for the Bucs."
3. He worked at Auburn, left and was rehired (always a positive sign...but doesn't always workout e.g., Kehoe).
4. He improved Auburn's O-line play (and UConn for that matter).
5. He is familiar with Lashlee's system or at least play calling and style of play.
6. He was part of a staff that beat Alabama (not easy to do).
7. His line competed in the SEC which generally fields the best defenses in college football.
8. His name isn't Searels or Berry.

Until proven otherwise from those with more intimate knowledge of his qualifications, color me happy.

I'm not flaming, but for those of you that want him gone, why? I am admittedly not an OL technique expert, but you don't become an NFL OL coach unless you have some chops. Looking at his history, Lovie Smith hired him and Koetter retained him when he was hired. How can he be so deficient that he should be canned after 1 year?

That said, the lack of OL recruiting this year was/is a problem. I'm not sure how much of that should fall on his lap and how much should fall on Manny's lap.
Regardless of recruiting, development, past performance, the stench of failure is on him thanks to Enos. He'll fall in his sword, right or wrong and we'll both move on.

Hopefully the next guy is great because we need him to be.

THIS. 👆👆👆

FFS.

Muppets keep on muppeting.

Advertisement

He was the waterboy to the OL coach in Tampa.

He wasn’t in a position to fail. He didn’t have his line set week one, with the same five, that he did week two. Donaldson wasn’t properly motivated. I also think he could have made some other line choices and played with combinations in earlier games to find a better mix. Sorry not sorry

when i a fan knew that they should have left scaife outside to start the year against uf and he didnt is all i needed to know.

We win that game if he goes with Scaife outside in that game and early on

Advertisement
plus you can't tell me our kids are that much worse than literally every team in division 1. our line was worse than teams with far less talent.

Even if he was a decent Asst OL coach in Tampa, being a college coach is substantially different. Instead of convinving the GM to take a certain guy in the draft (or having skilled guys handed to you), you have to convince MOM that you know what’s best for their boy and will develop them into a successful player. The recruiting game changes the skill set needed for the job. While Jalen is the biggest get since Donaldson (or what we were led to believe with ND), we missed on a ton of opportunity, and failed to even look at other potential solutions (how many guys did Barry actually kick the tires on?). Don’t even get me started in the Sereales failures.

Nope. We've had more OL drafted than Clemson. Look at all the UM OL in the NFL. It's scheme and coaching 100%.

Advertisement
Back